Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jesus Christ Superstar

Dobber Sports Star

Default Jesus Christ Superstar

It?s one of my favourites and I still listen to the soundtrack with Ted Neely and Carl Anderson.

I see they showed a recent rendition tonight (an interesting choice for Easter) with John Legend playing Christ and Alice Cooper playing Herod LOL. I PVRed it and will watch it tomorrow. Did anybody watch it? Are there any other fans out there?

I was always fascinated by how it told the story of Christ’s last days from the perspective of Judas. Also, I should point out that I am a staunch atheist.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Jesus Christ Superstar

Oops.............thought this was about Connor McDavid

Dobber Sports Star

Lol. I do understand that this might not be the best forum to ask about this.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Master

my older sis and I would sing this jesus christ superstar sound track together when we were kids , good memories

had no idea about the cooper/legend rendition otherwise I would have made an effort to view or record

Dobber Sports Pro

This is probably a dumb question, but is "Jesus Christ Superstar" a satire, a pro-Christianity work, or something in between?

I've heard of it a lot but never ever seen it. Same with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. The titles sound very apt for satire....

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but is "Jesus Christ Superstar" a satire, a pro-Christianity work, or something in between?

I've heard of it a lot but never ever seen it. Same with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. The titles sound very apt for satire....
    I would not call it satire. It definitely twists the way most religious people feel about the last days of Christ’s life. It paints Judas as a victim, rather than a traitor. He kept trying to warn Jesus that the over the top attention his “God” thing was bringing to the Jewish people, was going to eventually lead to their deaths at the hands of the Romans. He kept asking Jesus to take it down a notch, so that their people could be safe. Jesus did not listen to him, and eventually, Judas turned him in because he felt that was the only way to save the Jews. It is a very interesting perspective. The music is also amazing.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Really glad I got to see it. I was not a huge fan of Legend. I didnt think he was able to hit those piercing notes, especially in Gethsemane. I was also disappointed in Cooper and Pilate. However, the music was sick good. I love the way they modernized it a bit. The set was amazing. The lighting and scaffolding was a great interpretation. Mary Magdalene was great. Even though she isn’t the power singer that Elliman was, I really thought she captured the look and sound well. And Dixon nailed Judas. The look. The sound. Wow. Superstar was hands down the best song for me. All in all, really impressed.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Genius

It says a lot that a "staunch atheist" enjoyed the show, and I genuinely don't mean that as an insult. As a staunch Christian, it does a lot more than simply twist the way "religious people" feel about the last days of Christ. It re-shapes documented history, and makes certain to withhold any of the truth and power of the Gospel and the risen Christ. Even if you aren't a believer, what JCS does is take a "story", remove the key components, change motives, personalities and the plot, and tell an entirely different story over the skeleton of the original. It's historical fiction, at best. At worst it's offensive blasphemy. I can see how an atheist could enjoy it for the entertainment value alone (plenty of talent and resources went behind it), but to answer BreadMan's Q, it's not a pro-Christian work, because there's nothing Christian about it.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Love the original sound track.
    Saw the John Legend remake today and plan on trying to find myself a copy this evening.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    It says a lot that a "staunch atheist" enjoyed the show, and I genuinely don't mean that as an insult. As a staunch Christian, it does a lot more than simply twist the way "religious people" feel about the last days of Christ. It re-shapes documented history, and makes certain to withhold any of the truth and power of the Gospel and the risen Christ. Even if you aren't a believer, what JCS does is take a "story", remove the key components, change motives, personalities and the plot, and tell an entirely different story over the skeleton of the original. It's historical fiction, at best. At worst it's offensive blasphemy. I can see how an atheist could enjoy it for the entertainment value alone (plenty of talent and resources went behind it), but to answer BreadMan's Q, it's not a pro-Christian work, because there's nothing Christian about it.
    I certainly can see how religious people would find JCS to be blasphemous. As I said, it does twist around the words of the Bible. It also suggests that the Apostles are morons and leads to speculate that even though they thought Christ was a great person, it raises doubts as to whether or not those closest to Christ actually believed he was the Son of God. In JCS, when Jesus tells Peter that he would deny him 3 times, and he does, Mary Magdalene finds herself asking how Jesus knew that Peter would do that. If she truly believed he was a miracle working Son of God, wouldn’t that explain how he knew? Why would she be surprised that he knew Peter would deny him? Jesus is also presented as being angry, bitter and scared as he realizes that he has to die. Now, I know that the Bible suggests he was scared the night before his execution, but JCS does take liberties at the Last Supper. Instead of saying “Take this bread; this bread is my body”, the words are “For all you care, this bread could be my body”. Well, that twist changes things. JCS also doesn’t focus on Jesus and his being able to perform miracles. As I said, definitely twists the words of the Bible.

As far as the documented history for the accounts on Christ, it is ambiguous at best. There are doubts as to whether or not he truly existed, as a man. Most of the documented history that we have on him, was written years after he died, and most accounts are from “a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who knew him.” As far as documentation as to him being the water-into-wine or walk-on-water son of God; well that is where faith comes in. It is another interesting perspective, that you would suggest that JCS is at best, historical fiction. That’s the part that is fascinating to me. What’s truth to you, is fiction to me. What’s truth to me, is fiction to you.

Like you; I don’t mean this as an insult. It’s fascinating to me. I find it interesting how JCS is able to present a different perspective. I find it fascinating the vast differences between the Religions is the world, and equally fascinating the similarities between them. I come from a family with deep religious views. At one point, I believed them myself. My own religious journey was a long process, filled with many highs and lows. I know the Bible well, and have spent many many hours in prayer and reading the Bible, finding “God” my own way. For me, it certainly was not an overnight decision. Some of the most amazing people I know, are religious. I have nothing but respect for any religious belief, as long as it’s not hurtful to others and asks for respect for all.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Sage

The music and singing was very good, as was the set. They didn't tell the story very well, Imo, so those who haven't seen the original may not catch on to everything, but I enjoyed it over all. Cooper was terrible as Herod. He just stood there. Herod is supposed to be the most colorful character of the bunch. That was disappointing
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    As far as the documented history for the accounts on Christ, it is ambiguous at best. There are doubts as to whether or not he truly existed, as a man. Most of the documented history that we have on him, was written years after he died, and most accounts are from ?a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who knew him.?
    See, I have zero time for any notion that suggests that Jesus may not have existed. The vast, vast majority of scholars with any credibility, both Christian and non-Christian, would never suggest that He didn't exist, or even entertain the theory that He may not have.

I don't chime in to enter into or create internet debates, and I hope you don't attempt to take it there. They're a mess, and we're not going to change one another's minds. We've both done plenty of research, and we've come to different conclusions. I just don't let threads like this stand without being a voice for the faith.

Dobber Sports Star

I'm sorry to hear that you never found your faith, even if you are content with it. You sound pretty set in your conclusion, but if you ever want to talk any of it out, PM me. That goes for anyone else reading. I'll find the time for anyone who's actually searching or has sincere questions.
    Similarly, if there are any Christians (or others) out there who would like to talk any of it out with someone who doesn't believe in the faith, feel free to PM me.

The most amazing thing about religious debates is that each side always pities the other. It's just so intensely polarizing. I told myself earlier I would stay out of this, but it always ends up being so hard...

For the record, CascadeFilly is one of the Dobber members I respect most, regardless of our differing views on religion.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Similarly, if there are any Christians (or others) out there who would like to talk any of it out with someone who doesn't believe in the faith, feel free to PM me.

The most amazing thing about religious debates is that each side always pities the other. It's just so intensely polarizing. I told myself earlier I would stay out of this, but it always ends up being so hard...

For the record, CascadeFilly is one of the Dobber members I respect most, regardless of our differing views on religion.
    Yeah, I really didn't want to sound pitying or condescending, but I can see how it could sound that way. I can edit that out.

Dobber Sports Star

Yeah, I really didn't want to sound pitying or condescending, but I can see how it could sound that way. I can edit that out.
    I didn't mean to single you out, just to point out that it goes both ways. Atheists often get pitied for being lost, and religious people get pitied for being misled. Just one of those things.