Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Thoughts on Ristolainen

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Thoughts on Ristolainen

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Then the Swords better be prepared to trade him, because I don't think Ristolainen is going to be happy losing his job to a an 18 year old. He's been a fixture on the main PP for a while. Top PP time equals production, equals increased stats, equals leverage to secure a better contract next go around. It's a responsibility that is often earned and a reward for playing well. Removing him from PP1 is making a statement, one that most likely won't sit well with a player like Ristolainen.
    I agree. Dahlin is only 18. When is the last time a rookie 18 year old D made a huge impact in the NHL? Even Karlsson was 21 before putting up 45+ type numbers. If Buffalo bumps Risto off the PP 1 with and18 year old I could see Risto taking considerable umbrage. And for good reason. There will be a battle of the Rasmus's coming in the future, but it would not be in Dahlin's or Buffalo's best interest to start this battle to early IMO. Give Dahlin a chance to breathe and grow in the NHL. His time to shine will come soon enough.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    I agree. Dahlin is only 18. When is the last time a rookie 18 year old D made a huge impact in the NHL? Even Karlsson was 21 before putting up 45+ type numbers. If Buffalo bumps Risto off the PP 1 with and18 year old I could see Risto taking considerable umbrage. And for good reason. There will be a battle of the Rasmus's coming in the future, but it would not be in Dahlin's or Buffalo's best interest to start this battle to early IMO. Give Dahlin a chance to breathe and grow in the NHL. His time to shine will come soon enough.
    I can't imagine Buffalo giving Dahlin PP1 unless he's EARNED it. What would be the advantage otherwise? You put your team in the best position to win, end of story. So, if Dahlin gets PP1 right out of the gate, regardless of his age, I have to believe it's because he's the better option. And if Risto doesn't like it, than he's selfish. You earn what you get. That's sports.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by NoDoughty View Post
    I can't imagine Buffalo giving Dahlin PP1 unless he's EARNED it. What would be the advantage otherwise? You put your team in the best position to win, end of story. So, if Dahlin gets PP1 right out of the gate, regardless of his age, I have to believe it's because he's the better option. And if Risto doesn't like it, than he's selfish. You earn what you get. That's sports.
    Sometimes public opinion, poor coaching decisions and other factors other than merit can drive a teams strategy. Let's not be naive. Look, I sincerely doubt that Dahlin takes over the #1 PP in Buffalo any time soon precisely because he will need some time and grooming in the NHL in order to become the better option. Ristolainen and Buffalo had a bit of a down season last year but Risto is a fantastic PP quarterback and is in the top 10 of all NHL players in PP assists over that last two seasons. If he were to lose that role early I can't see how it would actually be merited. That is all. Again, I don't see it happening outside of injury for a least a few seasons. My point is that I think Ristolainen's role is intact for a while yet. I don't think Risto owners need to panic. Especially owners in multicat leagues where Risto really shines.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    2016-2017 Zach Werenski. He might have been 19 though but still put together a very impressive rookie campaign.
    12 team Keeper League.
    25 man roster, 5 man bench, 2 prospects, keep 9. Must ice 4D, 1 Goalie
    Skaters 1pt G/A,
    Goalies .05pts per save, 1pts SO, .75pts per win -.25 for GA

Forwards
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Eichel, Backstrom, Svechnikov, Stone, Meier, Perron, Voracek, Wilson, Pearson, Vrana, E. Stall, Pajeau

Defence
    Hedman, Klingberg, Letang, Yandle

Goalie
    Bobrovsky

Bench
    Ritchie (G), Zucker, Guentzel, Neal, Ekblad (D)

Prospects
    Zegras, Kaprisov

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DAAKS View Post
    2016-2017 Zach Werenski. He might have been 19 though but still put together a very impressive rookie campaign.
    Good example. He was a year older with no established PP quarterback ahead of him, but still a fairly close comparison.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

The Great One

Just a quick note to let folks know Risto will be featured in Cage Match next week, so stay tuned.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Just a quick note to let folks know Risto will be featured in Cage Match next week, so stay tuned.
    Right on Rizzee. Always look forward to your Cage Matches!
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Legend

Nice! Can't wait. It might be wishful thinking of my part, but I expect the Swords to go with a more traditional 3F/2D setup on PP1, now with O'Reilly out of the fold. My hope is that it is: Eichel, Mittelstadt, Skinner, Dahlin, Ristolainen ... with players like Reinhart, Okposo and Guhle headlining PP2.

Dobber Sports Stud

Maybe I'm wrong, but here's a point that I haven't seen mentioned while trying to assess risto's value now...
    Part of his appeal is the huge peripheral numbers. However, part of his real life NHL criticism is that he isn't on the level to be playing as many minutes as he has. With dahlin in town, his minutes are gonna go down, possibly significantly. Not necessary this season, but the year after that. The less minutes, the less hits and blocks. Which seriously harms his value.
    I think the fantasy world has been so in love with this guy (for good reason) that we fail to realize that in real life, he's not viewed as a top defencemen. He's gonna be playing second fiddle to dahlin quite soon, and IMO it's best to get a goldmine for him now that wait and watch his value diminish.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Training camp should give us a good idea, but I don?t think people are giving enough credit to how big of a talent Dahlin is. There has never been any D coming into the league with this much promise dare I say since Bobby Orr. I don?t see why Buffalo wouldn?t use him on PP1.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by TOCanadafan View Post
    Training camp should give us a good idea, but I don?t think people are giving enough credit to how big of a talent Dahlin is. There has never been any D coming into the league with this much promise dare I say since Bobby Orr. I don?t see why Buffalo wouldn?t use him on PP1.
    I managed to get Dahlin in our draft and I'm tempering my expectations for him this year. 18yr old defensemen historically don't have earth shattering rookie years, even the highly touted ones. I'm prepared to keep him in the minors unless he really goes off for a 45-50pt pace and forces my hand. Realistically though I'm going in expecting maybe 35pts.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner