Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Ristolainen

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Thoughts on Ristolainen

I'm curious how Dahlin would hinder Risto's upside? They're opposite shots, no? What if the Sabres pair them up in the 1st pairing? Wouldn't that raise Risto's potential immensely,?
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Ace

Unless they switch up the pp, I think Ristolainen will take a hit there. They normally play 4F-1D with Eichel on the point. I can see Dahlin replacing Ristolainen as the other d-man.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Sage

Time will tell but Buffalo will be as good of a candidate as anyone to play 2 d men on PP1.

As Risto matures (he's only 23 and defense is a terribly hard position to play at this level), I don't see his production falling and I think it's still likely it increases as the team around him gets better. This guy is going to crack 50 points at some point and I don't think he's going under 40 anytime soon. He'll still see big minutes and be a great multi cat performer.

There's no reason to panic just because Buffalo won the draft.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Monster

I think the pros outweigh the cons if you own Ristolainen. He has been overworked in Buffalo and Dahlin will take a lot of pressure off him. Dahlin will likely help Risto's plus minus and points totals, and keep him fresh throughout the season. Eventually Risto will become second fiddle to Dahlin but I don't know how early on. Dahlin will improve the whole team, including Risto. Short term I have no concerns.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Novice

Personally, I think Dahlin really hurts Risto's value. The only reason he has gotten even close to 50 points is his PP production. He's sure to lose his spot on PP1 to Dahlin sooner or later, and when that happens, I suspect he'll fall into the 30-40 point range indefinitely. Obviously, he'll still have value in banger leagues, and he's still young, so he's got plenty of time to prove me wrong, but there aren't many (if any?) 50 point defencemen that score < 10 PP points. I'll be avoiding him next draft.

The Great One

I know I'm jumping in late here, but for anyone (like me) who is perusing the forums looking for any info on Ristolainen, especially with Dahlin in the picture now, my personal opinion is that Dahlin will get the top spot on the power play sooner than later, which will certainly hurt Risto.

As good as Risto is offensively, I think if the Sabres really want him to become a top pairing dmen capable of playing against the other team's best players, they need to cut his minutes and the best place to do that is on the PP. I firmly believe Dahlin can handle an NHL power play unit right away.

Anyway, this is just my opinion, but I think the Sabres are going to give Dahlin all the opportunity in the world. I don't really see him being eased into the league.

This is an interesting (and timely) debate for me personally, because I have to choose between keeping only two dmen out of Ristolainen, Gardiner, and Byfuglien. This is a points-only, cap league. Byfuglien is the most consistent producer, but his age and cap hit really suck. Gardiner is the cheapest, but soon to be an RFA. Risto is the youngest and signed long-term at a reasonable salary (Gardiner will likely make more money than Risto on his next contract), but I think his production will suffer with Dahlin around. This is a tough decision for me.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think the question people have to ask too, is that with scoring generally going up in the league, do we need to stop looking at these situations as though one player coming into the fold will completely tank another's value. I think two skilled defensemen can co-exist, and that a guy like Ristolainen can still post up a pretty good season (45-50) even if he's not eating all the PP1 minutes.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I think the question people have to ask too, is that with scoring generally going up in the league, do we need to stop looking at these situations as though one player coming into the fold will completely tank another's value. I think two skilled defensemen can co-exist, and that a guy like Ristolainen can still post up a pretty good season (45-50) even if he's not eating all the PP1 minutes.
    This is a good point, though it is extremely rare for teams to have two 45-50 pt dmen. A few did it this past season (Toronto, Nashville, Minnesota), but for most teams the secondary option didn't exceed 45 pts even with the increase in scoring (Werenski with Jones, Parayko with Pietrangelo, Provorov with Gostisbehere, McAvoy with Krug). Buffalo could be an exception and fit in the same category as Toronto, Nashville, and Minnesota, but those three teams were among the top scoring teams in the league this past season, while Buffalo was the lowest scoring team, and truthfully I don't see Buffalo improving their team offense all that much for a few years at least.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NoDoughty View Post
    Personally, I think Dahlin really hurts Risto's value. The only reason he has gotten even close to 50 points is his PP production. He's sure to lose his spot on PP1 to Dahlin sooner or later
    I'm not so sure about it. I think it's more likely the Sabres adjust their PP to go 3F, 2D. Every player enjoys PP. Ristolainen has been a fixture on the PP for a long time. If he's in the Sabres long-term plans, I don't think it's likely they say to him, "Yeah, you've been bumped off the top PP for a a teenager." Ristolainen also possesses something that nobody else on the Swords has - an absolute bomb from the point. This is a great weapon to have on a PP, hence why Shea Weber never lost his PP gig, regardless of Suter, Josi, Markov, etc. They just added them to Weber, not removed him.

If anything, a Ristolainen-Dahlin PP point could be among one of the most dynamic in the league. Dahlin and Mittelstadt are the magicians, Eichel and O'Reilly/Reinhart are the bulls, and Ristolainen brings the huge shot. You don't purposely remove that shot from a PP unit.

I think someone like Brendan Guhle is a more likely candidate to anchor the point on a 2nd PP unit - lefty like Dahlin, offensive-minded.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Sabres just signed Lawrence Pilut as well. so lets add him to the mix

8g, 30a - 38pts to lead Jonkoping in scoring ... at 22 there's an interesting depth signing.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

Can anyone name an 18 year old defensemen that has stepped into the league and ran PP1 with huge minutes?

Don't panic yet ristolainen owners. And I'm a believer and big fan of Dahlin but there's no reason to panic.

Edit: with any recency in today's game... Orr, Murphy, and Bourque. But I think we can all agree the game has changed just a tad...
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Initiate

Buffalo uses 1 D on the pp. I think Risto gets his 40 ish points this year or less if Dahlin canibalizes some of his pp1 time . Then he's a 30-40 pts guys .
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23

Dobber Sports Initiate

Buffalo uses 1 D on the pp. I think Risto gets his 40 ish points this year or less if Dahlin canibalizes some of his pp1 time . Then he's a 30-40 pts guys .
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/

Dobber Sports Initiate

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by poolsharks View Post
    Then the Swords better be prepared to trade him, because I don't think Ristolainen is going to be happy losing his job to a an 18 year old. He's been a fixture on the main PP for a while. Top PP time equals production, equals increased stats, equals leverage to secure a better contract next go around. It's a responsibility that is often earned and a reward for playing well. Removing him from PP1 is making a statement, one that most likely won't sit well with a player like Ristolainen.