Thread: Calgary Flames

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Calgary Flames

So I am curious to hear what people think. I've spoken to friends about a possible trade to be made from Calgary that would involve either Gio, Hamilton or Brodie. I think for us to get better and back into the 1st round, we need to make a big move. Out of those 3, I think Hamilton could get us a massive return. Just want to know if anyone thinks Calgary will even consider trading him.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Calgary Flames

I don't think trading Hamilton makes much sense. Why trade a 6-6 offensive defenseman who is just entering his prime and is locked for another 3 years at a reasonable price? They don't have anyone who could replace him on the roster. Trading Hamonic or Stone would make more sense than trading Hamilton but obviously they paid a high price for Hamonic and no one is taking Stone off their hands, so they're a bit stuck.

They need to decide where their team is. If they see themselves as a contender, then utilize your prospects to improve the roster. If they're rebuilding, then trading players like Giordano would make more sense. But figuring out where your team is, that's the most important thing. In either situation, keeping Hamilton makes more sense than trading him.

Calgary has done a great job drafting defensemen like Andersson, Valimaki, Fox and Kylington but they don't have much depth at forward. But these prospects are not ready to replace Hamilton, so trading Hamilton sets them back a few years.

The Great One

Yeah totally agree. They are stuck. Smith gave them good solid goaltending. The secondary scoring let them down for long stretches this season. And I think Gulutzan is a bad coach. Their best bet is to let the kids get another year in next year. Maybe see if some decent depth ends up available in free agency. I most definitely would not trade Hamilton, Brodie, Gio, or Hamonic. That’s a very good group. I have not looked at their cap situation...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Icon

I think Hamilton's the one guy they cannot move (on the blueline). He's the one you get pieces to build around. Moving Gio makes total sense but you're not getting a lot for him other that picks and a prospect.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Deity

They definitely have a plentiful amount of quality D and should use that to turn some of them into quality depth forwards. Hamilton is NOT the guy they should be trading, even if he's their most valuable in regards to possible return. I dont think they trade Gio but someone like Brodie, whos still got two more years left on his relatively affordable contract makes sense. At 27 years old, he still has plenty of quality years left and teams would like his skillset. Stone is another possible trade option especially being a rightie as those are always in demand.

As an Oilers fan, I'd love to see them trade Hamilton but I dont see it. They also paid a pretty hefty price (a 1st and two 2nds) for Hamonic so I dont think they move him unless the return is similar and right now, I dont see teams giving that up for him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't understand why Hamilton's name seems to frequently come up as possible trade bait. All teams look for a Hamilton and most fail - why would the Flames give him up unless the offer is far beyond too good to pass up? The Gaudreau talk is also concerning. This happens repeatedly when fans suddenly decide that their so-called 'one dimensional' offensive producer have to become the leader and the shut down guy. Like Hamilton, teams are always looking for guys like Gaudreau (perpetual top 10 scorers) and the Flames would never get proper value for him.

RW is a serious problem, though. JT should have dealt with this issue last off season, but for reasons only he understands he felt that he needed to move substantial assets for what he thought was a top four defenseman. They may have to move one of the top D prospects to solve this problem, as I don't think Brodie will get them what they want. As for the bottom six, this can be resolved by astute signings or minor trades, and moving on from dead weights like Brouwer, Lazar, et al. They keep dipping into the same dry well and expect different results.

They also need to deal with the coaching situation. The PP was awful, their home record inexcusable, and on too many nights this team was not adequately prepared to play. The coaching staff needs a complete overhaul, but considering that GG is Treliving's guy I'm not sure he can see that clearly.

This season, and the off season before that, has shaken my confidence in Treliving. He needs to find a way to get back on the right track or this team is headed further downward.

Dobber Sports Titan

Oilers are willing to give up a 1st round pick....they need defense.....

I can't see a trade really happening but damn, that would be an intense situation.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Oilers are willing to give up a 1st round pick....they need defense.....

I can't see a trade really happening but damn, that would be an intense situation.
    For Hamilton that would be worth it. But it's Chiarelli so he'd probably throw in Pulujarvi and RNH too.

(The Flames would be fools to move Hamilton).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Jedi

Gio makes the most sense to move. Sell while he still holds value. I'm not sure he gets Cgy into the first round at the draft though? He's the only one I can see them moving really.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Treliving must be in deep examination mode, which is ok as long as he makes the right call when he's done, i.e. moving on from Gulutzan and, perhaps more importantly, Dave Cameron (I expected it right at season's end, but now it's likely right after the playoffs are over).
    I think with GG going to Saskatchewan BT doesn't want to do anything right now. Would be a horrible PR move.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Sage

Chicago would trade it's first round pick for Hamilton. What else would it take?
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Legend

Mikey Lemons,

Interesting question. It all depends on the return. I think Hamilton would clearly fetch the greatest return, followed by Brodie. Giordano is tough to trade because he is the general and his age will limit the type of return the Flames get.

So - to answer your question - I would quietly shop all three and see how the market responds. Based on the return the Flames could legitimately get for Dougie would determine if he's traded or not. If the return is massive, and improves the club overall, then pull the trigger. Everyone has a price.

Things to think about with Hamilton...

If we analyze the Flames farm system, they clearly have options who are close that can replace Dougie's offense (40-50) points consistently. Adam Fox could step in, play cozy minutes on a bottom pairing + PP, and get close to 40 points next season IMO. Valimaki also projects to be very similar to Hamilton in terms of two-way play, mobility and offensive talent. Andersson also looks ready to play full time.

Now I'm not saying Hamilton is easily replaceable, because he isn't, but one portion of his game can reasonably be replaced soon - the offense he brings from the back end.

Defensively, Hamilton is very good - not exceptional. His size, strength, skating ability and wing span are all assets that make him a quality defender, but I don't see him contending for the Norris soon. He does average over 21 minutes per game though, so the Flames would need to find someone who can munch minutes in his place - that would be a challenge.

Unfortunately, the perfect trading partner is the Edmonton Oilers, yet they are the worst partner. But, for arguments sake, do the Flames turn down either of these trades...

TRADE #1 WITH EDM
    CAL trades Dougie Hamilton, D to EDM for Leon Draisaitl, C

TRADE #2 WITH EDM
    CAL trades Dougie Hamilton, D to EDM for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C and 9th overall pick in 2018 (i.e., Noah Dobson, Even Bouchard or Ty Smith)

As painful as it would be, I see the Flames jumping on either of those deals and trying to expedite the arrival of Adam Fox into the Bigs, based on his camp and preseason of course.

From Edmonton's perspective - if they can add Hamilton today while only losing RNH from the current roster, I think they do it. Even if it includes giving up a Top-10 pick in the draft. Pressure is on the Oil to take the next step and Hamilton would be a horse in Edmonton.