Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rank Gostisbehere, Doughty, Josi, Werenski - Pts Only Keeper

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Rank Gostisbehere, Doughty, Josi, Werenski - Pts Only Keeper

Am a little surprised how low Josi is ranked on some lists. If he plays a full season he cake walks to 50 pts with the real possibility for 60 pts and is only 27 years old. Not a chance I take Werenski over Josi.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Am a little surprised how low Josi is ranked on some lists. If he plays a full season he cake walks to 50 pts with the real possibility for 60 pts and is only 27 years old. Not a chance I take Werenski over Josi.
    Very valid point. I think this comes down to three things ...

1. Josi is playing on a stacked blue line. He just doesn't have a Jones to compete with, he has a Subban, Ellis and Ekholm. With Fabbro lurking.

2. Josi has had a fair amount of injuries, including head injuries. You know fantasy GM's - we all overreact to players with injury history. Remember when everyone was "sell, sell, sell" on Sid?

3. Werenski is still a baby and this is a keeper. Granted, Josi is 27, but Werenski is 20. When Josi turns that fantasy-ugly 30 number, Werenski will be about to hit his stride at 23.

All of that said, Josi will probably be the better fantasy own for 1-2 years, unless Werenski gets an immediate jump into 50, which I think he can. I would not criticize anyone for taking the sure bet in Josi, just comes down to today vs. long ball for me.

And, this is going to sound extremely silly, because I'm referencing a player who played ages ago. But, Zack Werenski reminds me of the great Doug Harvey for the Montreal Canadiens. He almost plays the game at a slow pace, watch him. It's like everything he does is nonchalant, stress-free. Ice water veins. Good size, incredible instincts. I love this kid's game.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre6666 View Post
    Hi Folks - just numbing here to see if there are any other thoughts, the last 3-4 posts favoured keeping Werenski.

His goal totals this year are very attractive.

Am I overthinking this one? Lol
    Yes, I feel you are overthinking it. You are dropping: Nolan (I'm unsure who that even is), Carter, Klefbom, and one more player. Your job is to convert that player into an upgrade of a pick or a keeper. You could trade for pick(s) or package a keeper with them for an upgraded keeper.

You have 5 very solid defensemen. You want to keep only 4, so you need to figure out how to convert one of them into extra value.

Your job is to convert that player into an upgrade. Could package them with Holtby, or
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Monster

I've been in one of my points only keeper leagues for 5 seasons now and I noticed there is an re-occurring trend with some of the not so successful managers. There are many of them that look at the 'age factor' a little too much and over-look the older and more seasoned player. Joe Pavelski for instance has very little value among the other poolies just because he is in his early 30's. Be mindful of the future of these players but don't let that cloud your vision for a title in this current or upcoming season. Think about the now because chances are the keeper league you are in may not be in existence anyhow. So unless my team is an utter mess, I would be finding a way to contend every single season while having a healthy stable of young players as I could.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I've been in one of my points only keeper leagues for 5 seasons now and I noticed there is an re-occurring trend with some of the not so successful managers. There are many of them that look at the 'age factor' a little too much and over-look the older and more seasoned player. Joe Pavelski for instance has very little value among the other poolies just because he is in his early 30's. Be mindful of the future of these players but don't let that cloud your vision for a title in this current or upcoming season. Think about the now because chances are the keeper league you are in may not be in existence anyhow. So unless my team is an utter mess, I would be finding a way to contend every single season while having a healthy stable of young players as I could.
    Stunt, this is solid, practical advise! Unfortunately, it's not sexy, and all of us poolies are guilty now and again. I raise my hand. I always try to balance short and long-term, but admittedly love the thrill of plucking the next great prospect, who you watch blossom before your very eyes as a proud owner in a dynasty league. However, if more people (myself included) followed your sound advice, we'd all have more titles under our belts.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Stunt, this is solid, practical advise! Unfortunately, it's not sexy, and all of us poolies are guilty now and again. I raise my hand. I always try to balance short and long-term, but admittedly love the thrill of plucking the next great prospect, who you watch blossom before your very eyes as a proud owner in a dynasty league. However, if more people (myself included) followed your sound advice, we'd all have more titles under our belts.
    Yes, very true indeed. I fell victim to trading Jakub Voracek for Nikolaj Ehlers and it cost me 3rd place money ($50) lol. The good thing of plucking the next great prospect is people tend to over pay once they are breaking out.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Stu - I have to agree with the advice! I was able to snag Kessel up a few years ago when he was in a slump for a few prospects...it was a low cost gamble that has paid off!

SteveG - agree - that is the strategy. Turn the extra asset into a pick or upgrade.

Thank you to all for the good advice - I love these boards!
    12 Managers - Cap League (total salary adjusted yearly) - points only.
    12 F, 6D, 2G, 2 Spares
    5 Round yearly draft, ONE free agent pick up per year.

Team:
    G - Shesterkin, Gustavsson
    D - Montour, Addison, Barrie, Gustafson, Aho, Fowler.
    F - Draisalt, Kaprisov, Stamkos, Nylander, Marchand, Terry, Verhague, Necas, Mittlestad, Dach, Rossi, Bordeleau Spares: Zibanejad, Chytil.