Thread: 20 Team League Strategy

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default 20 Team League Strategy

I am in a 20 team league Head-to-Head categories. Positions - C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL SP, SP, RP, RP, P 4XBN

Batting Categories

Runs
    Hits
    Home Runs
    RBI
    Stolen Bases
    Total Bases
    Batting Average

Pitching Categories

Wins
    Saves
    Strikeouts
    Holds
    ERA
    WHIP
    Pickoffs

Am I correct to focus on batting early and often because there are batters that can cover majority of the stats where as there isn't any pitchers that are able to get Wins, Saves and Holds? And if one is to focus on holds or saves then they will not have a chance at Strikeouts.

I think I am going to go all in on batters. And then focus on some guys who have solid peripherals and high probability of wins later on in draft like Gray, Walker, Gio Gonzalez, Morton etc. And then get good RP late. Draft is today!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 20 Team League Strategy

Pitching I'd go for high K guys on good teams and say eff the ERA and stuff late in the draft.

I'd go batters.

RPs I'd go to closermonkey.com and see who's the closer by committees, and setup guys to go for Holds.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Pitching I'd go for high K guys on good teams and say eff the ERA and stuff late in the draft.

I'd go batters.

RPs I'd go to closermonkey.com and see who's the closer by committees, and setup guys to go for Holds.
    Yep do this. Just be ready and active early and try to grab a few of those early closer changes and you're set. Something like half the Opening Day closers didn't finish the year in that role. It's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Yep do this. Just be ready and active early and try to grab a few of those early closer changes and you're set. Something like half the Opening Day closers didn't finish the year in that role. It's insane.

Or do I just forfeit Saves all together and draft a couple top holds guys. Most guys in a league will go after the 'sexy' stat in saves... so I was thinking of picking up like Josh Fields and CJ Edwards late in the draft and get holds. Which they should get a lot being on the teams they are on!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Or do I just forfeit Saves all together and draft a couple top holds guys. Most guys in a league will go after the 'sexy' stat in saves... so I was thinking of picking up like Josh Fields and CJ Edwards late in the draft and get holds. Which they should get a lot being on the teams they are on!
    While I would target them late....I would still try to grab those mid season closers because they;re worth peanuts compared to whoever was drafted in round 10-15 in your draft. If I miss out on closers I always just load up on Holds, but then eventually try to get a couple Closers just because Holds are a lot harder to get.

Draft is starting shortly... might be coming to you guys along the way

Pick 18 out of 20.... interesting

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Always here to help. Late draft isn't it???

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Always here to help. Late draft isn't it???
    Yeah, the commish was stuck on 18 owners for the longest time and we tried to convince him to go with that... but he wanted to make sure there was 20.

​​

1 (18) - Machado 3B
    2 (23) - Rizzo 1B,2B
    3 (58) - Bogaerts SS
    4 (63) - Contreras C

​​

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I haven't done a baseball pool in about 5-7 years, but here's a tip of relief pitchers:
    *Draft HOLDS, not SAVES

A cat is a cat... you can get the "HOLDS" guys later.
    If a HOLDS-guy does well, eventually he'll get promoted to getting you SV.
    If a SV-guy busts, though, its not down to "HOLDS"... he's just not used in key situations any more. Period.

Draft HOLDS... you'll end up with some SV.

Here's my teams: Round (Overall)

C - Contreras 4(63)
    1B - Gurriel 14(263)
    2B - Rizzo 2(23)
    3B - Machado 1(18)
    SS - Bogaerts 3(58)
    OF - Adam Jones 5(98)
    OF - E. Rosario 8(143)
    OF - Dickerson 12(223)
    Util - S. Gennett 10(183)

SP - S. Gray 6 (103)
    SP - Stroman 7( 138)
    RP - Madson 15(298)
    RP - CJ Edwards 16(303)
    P - G. Gonzalez 9(178)

BN - P. Corbin 11(218)
    BN - J. Montgomery 13(258)
    BN - M Foltynewicz 17(338)
    BN - Newcomb 18(343)

Remembering it is a 20 team league... how did i do?

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I haven't done a baseball pool in about 5-7 years, but here's a tip of relief pitchers:
    *Draft HOLDS, not SAVES

A cat is a cat... you can get the "HOLDS" guys later.
    If a HOLDS-guy does well, eventually he'll get promoted to getting you SV.
    If a SV-guy busts, though, its not down to "HOLDS"... he's just not used in key situations any more. Period.

Draft HOLDS... you'll end up with some SV.
    Woah. Quick draft.

About Holds, I hear what you are saying but they are definitely a lot more scattered in that not every team has a designated 8th inning guy and some use multiple. And even in those cases, the setup guy rarely goes as often as the closer. So to specifically target them is pretty difficult AND.....they're also WAY easier to pick up throughout the year. If you're playing a guy who went all SV and you went all HLD.....he could easily pickup a random guy that gets 2 Holds in a week and he beats you.

For example.....the Holds leader last year had 30 and I haven't even seen him be drafted this year (Taylor Rogers on Min). 2016 there were two with 30 plus. Then there were 28 different pitchers with between 20 - 29 Holds.

There were 11 closers with 30 or more Saves last year, with the highest being 47! 2016 there were 16 with 30 plus.