Thread: Smith - Next Season

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Smith - Next Season

We know that Smith is a steer clear for the rest of this season with the mounting injuries and general lack of proficiency Calgary has been exerting in the final stretch, but where do we see Smith next season?
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Smith - Next Season

good post. I think Smith will basically repeat this year, making him a guy to stash away if possible. An easy guy to dismiss but he carried the flames for most of the season and was easily their MVP. Too bad for him and Calgary in general that it all fell apart.

Definitely a solid #2 tender
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Deity

I think a lot of people dismissed him this year but I was a buyer in some of my leagues and it helped my team for sure.

As for next year, heading into the last year of his current contract, I can see him putting up similar numbers and will still be "the man" in Calgary for the upcoming season at the very least. The Flames as a whole (scoring, defensively and goaltending) really faltered down the stretch (just 4 wins in the past 10 games and losers of their last four in a row) but they still have one of the best defensive corps in the NHL and strong offense as well.

Those who are in need of goaltending help could do a lot worse than Smith. He's not a sexy pick in keeper leagues because of his age and contract (for those in cap leagues) but he can be a late round gem who will help most rosters.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think a lot of people dismissed him this year but I was a buyer in some of my leagues and it helped my team for sure.

As for next year, heading into the last year of his current contract, I can see him putting up similar numbers and will still be "the man" in Calgary for the upcoming season at the very least. The Flames as a whole (scoring, defensively and goaltending) really faltered down the stretch (just 4 wins in the past 10 games and losers of their last four in a row) but they still have one of the best defensive corps in the NHL and strong offense as well.

Those who are in need of goaltending help could do a lot worse than Smith. He's not a sexy pick in keeper leagues because of his age and contract (for those in cap leagues) but he can be a late round gem who will help most rosters.
    Yup - I agree with this. I had him most of the season and he was really good for me, but traded him when he got injured. I needed stability in net and an injured Smith wasn't going to give it to me.

Not sure I would use a keeper on him because of his downside possibilities, but expect Calgary will be as good or better next year. If I could steal him in a late round draft, I would do it in a heartbeat.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports All-Star

I am in a keep 10 and he does not make the cut for me. I am going to drop him to stream a better option for my final two weeks. If somebody else in my league wants to grab him off the wire and stash him for next season, all the power to them. I already have Andersen and Quick in this league. I don't want to keep 3 goalies. That said, If he stays in the draft pool for next season I will definitely consider grabbing him again. He might well make a great 3rd goalie again next season.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Administrator

I think he'll be a decent #1 but I also believe he'll be frustrating to own because he does get banged up a lot.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Magnificent One

Not sure what this means but I saw posts about CGY looking to get back into the 2018 first round since they don't have there 1st and 2nd rounders this year. With that a big deal might need to happen and to me that means they will need to part with a top 4 dman. If that happens than that could affect smith.

Hard to plan for and if it will happen but something maybe to consider
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi