Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick 8 baseball keepers

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Help me pick 8 baseball keepers

Keepers are due very soon.. League is H2H, 12 managers, fairly standard categories

Locks are
    1. Harper
    2. Stanton
    3. Donaldson
    4. Posey
    5. Benintendi

for final 3 sports I have to choose between:

Batters - Bryon Buxton, Travis Shaw, Matt Carpenter
    Pitchers - Jose Quintana, Jon Lester, Danny Duffy, Ken Giles, Wade Davis

I'm thinking 2 should probably be Buxton (for SBs) and Quintana (need at least 1 pitcher)

not much of a baseball guy, would love to hear peoples thoughts

Thanks in advance
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Help me pick 8 baseball keepers

I agree with Buxton and Quintana there. I like your set up to compete in a 12 team league so I would probably go with a closer for the final spot.

Giles - huge upside but definitely could lose his job for a few weeks at a time.
    Davis - plays in Colorado....but signed the richest reliever contract ever I believe. So while the risk of Colorado is there, doubt he's losing his job.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Yes Bruxton and Quintana for sure!!

And Lester is your next best starter?

I always put more emphasis on starting pitchers... and Lester has the ability to be super again this year. The Cubs were coming off the World Series last year and lots of them struggled.

He has at least 180 Ks in the last 4 seasons and plays on a team that has a good probability of winning every time he takes the mound.

And from a team perspective... they have named Lester the opening day starter. So if you are comfortable keeping Quintana who also pitches for the Cubs... should you also not feel comfortable keeping the guy that is the opening day starter for the same team?

My reason for keeping a starting pitcher over a relieve pitcher is that the closer position is so volatile... (Example Trevor Rosenthal... who didn't keep him a few years ago?? Everyone who had him in a keeper league was keeping him... and now... where is he??)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post

My reason for keeping a starting pitcher over a relieve pitcher is that the closer position is so volatile... (Example Trevor Rosenthal... who didn't keep him a few years ago?? Everyone who had him in a keeper league was keeping him... and now... where is he??)
    While I do almost always agree with this (and in saying this I think I am voting for Davis over Giles).....I highly doubt Davis loses his job in Colorado. He'd have to monumentally explode. Another factor I would consider is if you think every team will keep a closer. If you think so and you don't keep one, every time your pick comes you're going to think "is now the time" to take a closer?? And you're going to miss out on some solid players.

I just think there are pretty much only 5-6 closers whose jobs are secure and Davis is one of them. If you keep him... you can focus the first 5-8 rounds on filling out your roster, and then play the waiver wire game to hopefully grab some midseason closers.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    While I do almost always agree with this (and in saying this I think I am voting for Davis over Giles).....I highly doubt Davis loses his job in Colorado. He'd have to monumentally explode. Another factor I would consider is if you think every team will keep a closer. If you think so and you don't keep one, every time your pick comes you're going to think "is now the time" to take a closer?? And you're going to miss out on some solid players.

I just think there are pretty much only 5-6 closers whose jobs are secure and Davis is one of them. If you keep him... you can focus the first 5-8 rounds on filling out your roster, and then play the waiver wire game to hopefully grab some midseason closers.
    Yes these are great points! I can get on board with keeping Davis as well. Maybe the better strategy is to keep Quintana, Lester and Davis and letting Buxton you do already have 3 outfielders...

So that is another thing to consider? I guess it depends on how many pitchers you need. In a 12 team league I want to have some decent starters. And Lester could be a fantasy ace again and flirt with 20 wins...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Just a little bit of an update... so far 3 managers have posted their keepers and not 1 reliever has been kept.
    Does that mean I should lean towards keeping Quintana, Lester, Buxton and let Davis go?
    12 Team H2H Keep 6

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Yes these are great points! I can get on board with keeping Davis as well. Maybe the better strategy is to keep Quintana, Lester and Davis and letting Buxton you do already have 3 outfielders...

So that is another thing to consider? I guess it depends on how many pitchers you need. In a 12 team league I want to have some decent starters. And Lester could be a fantasy ace again and flirt with 20 wins...
    Another great point! See how we worked through that!

That might be my final choice depending on your positional breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brosive View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Just a little bit of an update... so far 3 managers have posted their keepers and not 1 reliever has been kept.
    Does that mean I should lean towards keeping Quintana, Lester, Buxton and let Davis go?
    Wow!!! use this to your advantage... if teams post there keepers... let them all post their keepers and see who they keep and then determine how many OF and RP are kept.

But like I said earlier you have Stanton, Benidenti and Harper as your OF... I think it is more beneficial to keep a RP because OF is such a deep position and RP is not.

But then again this depends on how many OF you start in comparison to RP.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Didn’t realize I also have brad hand and Sean Doolittle on my roster.
    How would you rank them compared to Davis and Giles?
    Trying to work on a deal to land bregman for benintendi +. Then that would open an extra spot in the outfield for buxton

We also carry 2 utility spots

Edit: I couldn't get Bregman but he offered me Jose Abreu for Benintendi and Shaw.. good move?
    12 Team H2H Keep 6

Dobber Sports Titan

I like the Abreu move. Diversifies a little bit positionally. Maybe you lose a little down the line but for now it should be a win.

As far as the keepers go, I would be much more inclined to keep a SP over a RP, but the other guys seem to have you on the right track otherwise.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

With the 4 quality relievers I'll be dropping as well as at least 3 other managers not keeping an RP, I think I've decided to go with the following as my keepers:

1. Harper
    2. Stanton
    3. Donaldson
    4. Benintendi
    5. Posey
    6. Buxton
    7. Quintana
    8. Lester

Now the question is weather to accept the offer I have of Jose Abreu for Benintendi and Shaw.
    Abreu is 8 years older at a deep first base position. If I can land someone like Hosmer in the draft (or someone like Bird even later on), will it be more beneficial for me to keep Benintendi and hopefully watch him improve over the next couple of seasons?

or am I overthinking this and I should just take the better player today in Abreu?
    12 Team H2H Keep 6

Dobber Sports Padawan

Buxton, Quintana, Lester. Look at Buxton's second half, he's finally healthy and a freak athlete. I think he's finally found his swing after many variations. Look at Quintana after the trade to the Cubs. I think Lester bounces back into the 3.4-3.5 era 1.1+ whip. The Cubs win games and with the development of Happ, Schwarber looks good this spring and hopefully a full season of my boy Willy Woo Woo Contreas that lineup will be stacked around Rizzo and Bryant. Relievers are way too up and down to keep a guy not named Kenley/Kimbrel.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Buxton, Quintana, Lester. Look at Buxton's second half, he's finally healthy and a freak athlete. I think he's finally found his swing after many variations. Look at Quintana after the trade to the Cubs. I think Lester bounces back into the 3.4-3.5 era 1.1+ whip. The Cubs win games and with the development of Happ, Schwarber looks good this spring and hopefully a full season of my boy Willy Woo Woo Contreas that lineup will be stacked around Rizzo and Bryant. Relievers are way too up and down to keep a guy not named Kenley/Kimbrel.
    Thanks for the keeper advice.
    Any thoughts on the offer I have of Jose Abreu for Benintendi and Shaw?
    12 Team H2H Keep 6

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Brosive View Post
    Thanks for the keeper advice.
    Any thoughts on the offer I have of Jose Abreu for Benintendi and Shaw?
    No Benny will hit 3rd, he will drive in Mookie and JD will drive him in. He could post 850+ ops and be a 100/100 guy. Throw in 15-20 SB and he's a stud.

I play in a highly competitive league, 7x7 weekly H2H. R/RBI/SB/K/AVG/OBP/SLG QS/W/L/K/ERA/Whip/SV so that's why I mentioned OPS if you're in a standard 5x5 benny could be a 320 guy while abreu is a max 290 guy IMO
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Immortal

I think Abreu will be better this year....but ya long term you want Benintendi.