Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st overall, who you pick

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 1st overall, who you pick

In a points only keeper league, would you still pick Dahlin 1st overall if 2017 drafted players like Pettersson are also available? Or you would try to trade the 1st overall to get 2x1st round pick and get Pettersson + another prospect like Svechnikov?
    League 1: 10 teams Points only (Best 9F, 4D and 1G count for the season and best 8 for the playoff). Drop 4 players before a 4 round draft before season. Mini draft during all star week-end (drop one pick one available).

F: MacKinnon, Pettersson, Eichel, Barkov, Stone, Ehlers, Necas, Huberdeau, Zacha, Boldy, , Lafreniere, Cozens, Vilardi
    D: Dobson, Ekblad, DeAngelo, Seider, Bouchard, Matheson, Clarke
    G: Vasilievski, Sorokin

League 2: 14 teams, same setting.

F: Rantanen, Kyrou, Barkov, Raymond, Perfetti, Jarvis, Lundell, Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz, Norris, Reichel, Rossi
    D: Dahlin, McAvoy, Addison, Krug, Lundkvist, Clarke
    G: Sorokin, Demko

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 1st overall, who you pick

I like the Pettersson/Svech option, but how sure are you that whoever you trade #1 to wouldn't grab Pettersson?
    Also is there someone with two picks high enough to make that happen?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Well it could be my 1st overall vs 2nd overall +8th overall. So it could end up being Pettersson + Zadina or Mittelstadt etc. If he draft Pettersson with the 1st overall I could draft Dahlin and then get another prospect too.
    League 1: 10 teams Points only (Best 9F, 4D and 1G count for the season and best 8 for the playoff). Drop 4 players before a 4 round draft before season. Mini draft during all star week-end (drop one pick one available).

F: MacKinnon, Pettersson, Eichel, Barkov, Stone, Ehlers, Necas, Huberdeau, Zacha, Boldy, , Lafreniere, Cozens, Vilardi
    D: Dobson, Ekblad, DeAngelo, Seider, Bouchard, Matheson, Clarke
    G: Vasilievski, Sorokin

League 2: 14 teams, same setting.

F: Rantanen, Kyrou, Barkov, Raymond, Perfetti, Jarvis, Lundell, Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz, Norris, Reichel, Rossi
    D: Dahlin, McAvoy, Addison, Krug, Lundkvist, Clarke
    G: Sorokin, Demko

Dobber Sports Titan

In that case I think it makes a lot of sense to make the swap. Could you get another bit added in too? Maybe a swap of his 3rd for your 4th round or something? The more lottery tickets the better.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    In that case I think it makes a lot of sense to make the swap. Could you get another bit added in too? Maybe a swap of his 3rd for your 4th round or something? The more lottery tickets the better.
    I love this idea.. This other GM must really want someone at #1, so I would do the deal if you got #2 overall plus!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Padawan

So if Petterson and Middlestat are available that means Tolvanen is as well? So the top 8:
    Dahlin
    Tolvanen
    Pettersson
    Svechnikov
    Middlestat
    Zadina

So at 8 you’re looking at an Andersson Chityl Whalstrom Necas Boqvist Hughes. You may want to see what it would cost to move up to 4. Pick 8+? If it’s my second I do it, if it’s next years 1st I usually don’t deal my next years 1. Too volatile.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Deity

If that many players are available (this years draft class and last) then I would have no issues making the swap for the extra 1st round picks +!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by marc1pol2 View Post
    Well it could be my 1st overall vs 2nd overall +8th overall. So it could end up being Pettersson + Zadina or Mittelstadt etc. If he draft Pettersson with the 1st overall I could draft Dahlin and then get another prospect too.
    great plan..i would do this, even if #1 takes Pettersson, you are "left" with Dahlin..win/win
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW)
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-
    NTP - Leonard, Perrault

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Wizard

This seems to be a common topic right now, so I gave it some serious thought and here's where I landed.

I think these four players form the top tier in prospects who have yet to play in the NHL:
    Dahlin
    Pettersson
    Svechnikov
    Tolvanen

The exact order of them depends on the league. Defensemen take a bit longer to become elite options, so maybe Dahlin loses value because of that. If I can get any of those four players, I'm happy.

The next tier of players with no NHL games:
    Mittelstadt
    Borgstrom
    Zadina
    Heiskanen

These four are also elite prospects but just slightly below the top tier. Again, the exact order could change depending on the league, and again I would be very happy with any of these players.

Things get very murky after that because then you'll get a long list of prospects who are very good but not quite elite.

Hopefully this helps. (Yes, I copied this from another thread where something similar was asked.)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Dahlin
    Svechnikov
    Pettersson
    Zadina
    Tolvanen
    Borgstrom

would be my top 6.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Dahlin
    Svechnikov
    Pettersson
    Zadina
    Tolvanen
    Borgstrom

would be my top 6.
    I have a feeling this group of guys is the top 6 but #2 and #3 could be swapped at any one time and the bottom 3 could also be in any order.

Dahlin is 1 tho...
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW)
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-
    NTP - Leonard, Perrault

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    This seems to be a common topic right now, so I gave it some serious thought and here's where I landed.

I think these four players form the top tier in prospects who have yet to play in the NHL:
    Dahlin
    Pettersson
    Svechnikov
    Tolvanen

The exact order of them depends on the league. Defensemen take a bit longer to become elite options, so maybe Dahlin loses value because of that. If I can get any of those four players, I'm happy.

The next tier of players with no NHL games:
    Mittelstadt
    Borgstrom
    Zadina
    Heiskanen

These four are also elite prospects but just slightly below the top tier. Again, the exact order could change depending on the league, and again I would be very happy with any of these players.

Things get very murky after that because then you'll get a long list of prospects who are very good but not quite elite.

Hopefully this helps. (Yes, I copied this from another thread where something similar was asked.)
    Interesting JP, thanks. I am interested in how you can arrive at Borgstrom being in that exclusive "next tier". How is Borgstrom in this elite group but not, by example, any number of 2017 first round picks that have had excellent Draft + 1 seasons? To me if you're including Borgstrom in that tier you'd have to include a number of other players as well.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    Interesting JP, thanks. I am interested in how you can arrive at Borgstrom being in that exclusive "next tier". How is Borgstrom in this elite group but not, by example, any number of 2017 first round picks that have had excellent Draft + 1 seasons? To me if you're including Borgstrom in that tier you'd have to include a number of other players as well.
    I think Borgstrom's upside is just as high as guys like Glass, Suzuki and Thomas but he's further along in his development which means better immediate production and less risk.

Dobber Sports Stud

Ok so this is more of a list for those seeking more immediate production rather than those in leagues with farm systems and/or front-running teams that have the luxury of waiting and going for long-term upside?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    Ok so this is more of a list for those seeking more immediate production rather than those in leagues with farm systems and/or front-running teams that have the luxury of waiting and going for long-term upside?
    Of Borgstrom specifically, I think he's got as much upside as any forward prospect not named Svechnikov, Pettersson or Zadina.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.