Thread: #2 pick draft strategy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default #2 pick draft strategy

This year in one of my multicat keeper leagues, I managed to trade Arvidsson for the last place team's 1st rounder. Lost the coin flip, so I'll pick number 2.

My team is last year's champion, finished first again this year by a wide margin and just started the semi final. So hoping for a repeat.

H2H league with 10 teams; keep 17 drop 6. The skater categories are G,A,PIM,PPP,SHP,Shots,Hits,Blocks,GWG

I have a very solid defence core that has helped me stay competitive, especially in recent years. The guys I keep are Hedman, Doughty and Ristolainen, as they all provide the big multicat numbers in addition to being beastly offensively.

I was worried about getting the #1 overall pick because Dahlin seemed the natural take there and I wasn't sure I'd find much value in trading down to #2. Drafting a rookie/prospect defender with that pick doesn't appeal much to me - sure he's hyped, but even if he pots 40-50 in his first year, there's no guarantee he'll put up a ton of blocks and hits, which is pretty well what makes a defender a mainstay in leagues like this. Defenders just tend to take time to find their stride.

That said, I have no problem in investing in young talent. With the roster I have (see below) I can easily, and routinely do, float future stars, so long as they can give me top-230 production (23 man roster x 10 teams)

I had assumed I would take Svechnikov no matter what happened, as my prized goal scorer (Ovechkin) isn't getting any younger. But there are also other options out there: Pettersson, Tolvanen, Mittselstadt, Zadina (meh) etc.

What would you do with the #2 pick?

My keepers will likely be:

(C) Tavares, Backstrom, Dubois
    (LW) Ovechkin, E. Kane, Landeskog
    (RW) Keller, Palmieri, Wilson
    (D) Doughty, Hedman, Ristolainen
    (G) Andersen, Gibson, Talbot
    (Extras) Guentzel, Couture

Also have my own 1st rounder (6 to 10), and two or three picks in the 2nd round

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: #2 pick draft strategy

Pettersson
    Svechnikov
    Zadina
    Tolvanen
    Mittelsdadt

would be my ranking
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

The Great One

I'd lean to a 2017 draft pick just because you are getting one free year of development and your league doesn't have any spots reserved for minor leaguers. I like Tolvanen and Pettersson's chances to produce over the forwards in 2018 for next year, and with your team, I don't see the point in looking too much beyond that.

I also wouldn't decide any time soon. There's a chance you can get a peek at Tolvanen in the playoffs, and that can give you a lot of info...

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd lean towards Svechnikov. I think he'll jump right into the league and over the long run will be the best option in a league with shots, hits, and hopefully gwg compared to others. Like als said though try and get a peek at your options and decide after you know where Svechnikov and Zadina wind up.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Take Svechnikov if you can get him. My second option would be Tolvanen in your league.

Dobber Sports Giant

I think it also depends who gets which player. Once the NHL draft order is set, you may get a better picture of where the eligible players fit in.

I like Tkachuk after Dahlin FWIW, but again, it depends where he could potentially end up.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay