Thread: Keep 5 league. Who is my 5th keeper?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Keep 5 league. Who is my 5th keeper?

League in Sig

Edited due to Tavares Trade

I think we set a record for trading this year. As it stands I have no picks in the 1st or 3rd round of the draft.

Crosby, McDavid, Holtby and Talbot are given. Goaltending in this league are pretty much the most valuable commodity due to near 40% of the stats being goalie and 14 teams. Dmen are at a disadvantage since it is largely point based with few peripherals.

I am(WAS) leaning towards Kadri as my 5th(again). He had a slow mid season but has been on fire since they put Marner on his line.

Other options are Mark Stone(If not always injured, might be a top option) and Horvat(Faceoff wiz and expect a breakout from him soon)

Aho, Dadonov and Atkinson are too streaky. Shattenkirk may have been an option if you believe his last 20 games played sucked because of his injury(17 points in his first 20 games and)

Edit: incidentally, I could keep a 3rd goalie. Mike Smith is also on my team. Not a sexy option, but goalies tend to bring more in trade than your first 2 picks in this 14 team league.

Also, Matt Tkachuk who I just stole from Waivers(he was injury dropped). Since getting PP1 time, he has been a lot better too.
    Last edited by J0e Th0rnton; July 3, 2018 at 7:12 PM.
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Keep 5 league. Who is my 5th keeper?

Does your league have a IR?? If so I got to say Stone... I know he is injured lots.. but he provides when he is healthy.

You can always stream someone else when he is injured- if you have an IR spot.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Does your league have a IR?? If so I got to say Stone... I know he is injured lots.. but he provides when he is healthy.

You can always stream someone else when he is injured- if you have an IR spot.
    Yes we have 2 IR spots. He has been on one. But I have a feeling I can redraft him easily. He consistently falls in our draft due to injuries. Last year he went in the 5th round of the draft. The year before he went in the 2nd last round.

I do like him a lot as a player. If you can talk me into why he is a better fit than Kadri, I am all ears. Kadri brings similar production with more goals, PIM's and FOW. Since our league has C, C, LW, RW, F, F, Util, D, D, D, you can overload the C position. Everyone tries to draft C's first to get the up on that FOW category

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Stone and Kadri are great picks however I am almost leaning more towards Aho - I just think this guy has huge upside.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Oakville Squires View Post
    Stone and Kadri are great picks however I am almost leaning more towards Aho - I just think this guy has huge upside.
    Now we are getting somewhere. Aho absolutely has superior upside to Kadri. Is Dadanov streaky? .89 pts per game streaky? Stone over 1.0 pts per game and 62 points on the board at this point in the current season. All this to say that I think you need to rethink your choice of Kadri as your last keeper. In a multi cat it might be a different story but as you pointed out your format is more points based than anything else for skaters. IMO, Dadanov, Stone and Aho are better keeper options for you. I have them Stone, Dadanov and Aho short term. Aho, Stone and Dadanov longer term.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Given that you the big extra peripheral you have is faceoff wins, it makes sense to keep an extra guy who helps there, unless you are then neglecting other spots. Given that you'll be keeping no D and no wingers, I'd normally prefer that 5th keeper to be a winger, ideally one who either plays both wings, or also center. However, your league seems to play at least 3 and up to 5 centers with 1 at each wing, based on the way you describe it. That got me thinking that Kadri makes sense as well.

I do think you should try and shoot for an upside keeper, as Kadri is a decidedly non-sexy keeper in a keep 5. So go for the upside with Aho, unless you're confident Kadri goes at least a full round before him.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Given that you the big extra peripheral you have is faceoff wins, it makes sense to keep an extra guy who helps there, unless you are then neglecting other spots. Given that you'll be keeping no D and no wingers, I'd normally prefer that 5th keeper to be a winger, ideally one who either plays both wings, or also center. However, your league seems to play at least 3 and up to 5 centers with 1 at each wing, based on the way you describe it. That got me thinking that Kadri makes sense as well.

I do think you should try and shoot for an upside keeper, as Kadri is a decidedly non-sexy keeper in a keep 5. So go for the upside with Aho, unless you're confident Kadri goes at least a full round before him.
    I could also keep Mike Smith so I have 3 goalies going into next year.

Goalies in this 14 team league get so much leverage in trade it is crazy

Also, Matt Tkachuk who I just stole from Waivers(he was injury dropped). Since getting PP1 time, he has been a lot better too.

McDavid C

Dobber Sports Rookie

I'd keep Mike Smith. With 14 teams and high goalie stats, I think he would be a good bet for next year in Calgary. Then draft or trade for a better 5th keeper next year. Horvat would be my other option. I can see him getting 70 next year with a healthy season. Faceoffs are definately helpful.

The Great One

In a 14 team x 2 goalie set up, can you not trade M. Smith to a goalie poor team for pick(s).

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    In a 14 team x 2 goalie set up, can you not trade M. Smith to a goalie poor team for pick(s).
    Draft pick trading locked after the trade deadline. And will not open again till post 2018 draft. He will DEFINITELY be drafted 1st round if I let him go.

I can give a breakdown of sure thing keepers for other teams.
    Team 1 has Allen + Dubnyk and they are definite keeps
    Team 2 has howard + Halak + Anderson, so I am not sure who, if any of his goalies will be kept.
    Team 3 has Jones + Schneider and I would bet on him keeping both since he has no picks till round 4
    Team 4 has Rinne and that's it(He dropped Smith for a Hail mary sunday pickup probably thinking nobody would pick him up)
    Team 5 has Crawford + raanta. I suspect he will let Raanta go and keep Karlsson + Eichel + Seguin + Evander Kane.
    Team 6 has Vasilievskiy and Varlamov and the rest of her team is crap outside of Gaudreau + kopitar. She might keep Oshie or Perron lol
    Team 7 has Bobrovsky + Luongo and he will not keep Luongo
    Team 8 has Price + Elliott + Reimer. He has like 3 1st round picks and 3 2nd, so he will be drafting a ton
    Team 9 has Murray + Quick and will keep both
    Team 10 has Rask, MAF and Lundqvist. He has no picks for the first 5 rounds of the draft lol.
    Team 11 has Andersen + Bishop. Probably keeps both
    Team 12 has Gibson + Lehner. Doubt he keeps Lehner
    Team 13 has Hellebuyck + Markstrom + Mrazek. hellboy is the only one he keeps

So goalies potentially going back into the pool. Luongo, Markstrom, Mrazek, Lehner, Lundqvist, Raanta, Howard, Halak, Anderson, Reimer, Elliott, Smith

McDavid C

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
    Draft pick trading locked after the trade deadline. And will not open again till post 2018 draft. He will DEFINITELY be drafted 1st round if I let him go.
    What a stupid rule. And pretty easy to circumvent if you want to; just arrange a trade for pick(s) and have the other manager draft who you want. Then trade after the draft.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'd keep Aho. He's going to be an elite power play performer and I find it comical you'd consider Horvat, on a ... he might break out soon. Aho might break out too. And be a 90 point scorer.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Given the goalie leverage, I can definitely see keeping him, then leveraging him in a deal. However, I want to see how he plays the rest of the way, because he's been bad lately. I still prefer Aho of your skater options.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Edited due to Tavares Trade

McDavid C