Thread: Need help selecting final keeper spots ASAP.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Need help selecting final keeper spots ASAP.

Hey all,

I need to select my keepers by Tuesday, for our expansion draft. We can keep 6 forwards and any combination of D and G to equal 4. So like 3 D & 1 G, or 4 D. etc.

I can only loose a maximum of two players in the expansion draft, then after I can fill in my rookie keeper.

My team is in the sig below, I am struggling with who my 6th forward would be and 3rd D ??

As I see it now, it would be;

Crosby -100%
    Seguin - 100%
    Stamkos - 100%
    Kucherov - 100%
    Giroux - 100%
    W. Karlsson- ??
    Coutourier-??

D
    E. Karlsson- 100%
    Hedmen - 100%
    Shatty-??
    Schmitt - ??
    Mcdoungh-??

G
    Holtby - 100%
    Jones-??

I think 3 D and a Goalie is the way to go.

Thanks in advance.
    Team #1
    H2H keeper, G,A, W,SO,GA,SA
    111.5 Mil sal cap, NHL Contracts. Keepers; 6 Fwd, any combo of D and G to =3, 1 Rookie. Farm team doesn't count

LW; Giroux, Vrana, Gourde, Erne, Blackwell Nichushkin
    C; Crosby, Stamkos, Krejci, Malkin, McCann Vlardi, Kurashev
    RW; Rantanen, Konecny, Neiderreiter Wilson, Brown, Smith, Tanev
    D; Makar, Hughes, Josi, Hedmen, Fox, Petro, Matheson
    G; Hart, Grubauer, Sorkin

Prosect list; Krebs, Peterka, Brannstrom

Team #2
    H2H Keeper, Multi Cat, 10 keepers.

F- McDavid, Crosby, Marchand, Pastrnak, Panarin, Malkin, Geuntzel
    D- Barrie, Jones, Yandle, Klingberg
    G- Price, Binnington Hart
    Prospect- Hart, Dubois, Q. Hughes

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Need help selecting final keeper spots ASAP.

I'd be keeping two goalies in your situation. And Couturier over W. Karlsson, I trust him more.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

In your signature it says you can keep 7 forwards?? Or does the "rookie keeper count as one of the 7?? Also how many teams are in the league??

I would probably keep Jones over those 3 d-men.. I would also lean towards Karlsson over Couturier just because he seems like a shiny new toy right now and Couturier might be easier to redraft.. Just depends on your league mates..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I'd be keeping two goalies in your situation. And Couturier over W. Karlsson, I trust him more.
    Same
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Yes we keep 7, but that after the expansion draft. There is now 12 teams in our league.

I have entertained the idea of keeping Jones too, but most guys dont keep two goalies. so there is usually a bunch in the draft.

My thinking towards Karlsson and Couturier, is this, goals are pretty valuable and Karl seems to be a natural at scoring, and Couturier might just be having a good year since hes been playing on the top line, does that stick. Aswell I like the point Karl is a flashier name, I may not loose Cout in the draft then I may be able to trade him for a high pick.
    Team #1
    H2H keeper, G,A, W,SO,GA,SA
    111.5 Mil sal cap, NHL Contracts. Keepers; 6 Fwd, any combo of D and G to =3, 1 Rookie. Farm team doesn't count

LW; Giroux, Vrana, Gourde, Erne, Blackwell Nichushkin
    C; Crosby, Stamkos, Krejci, Malkin, McCann Vlardi, Kurashev
    RW; Rantanen, Konecny, Neiderreiter Wilson, Brown, Smith, Tanev
    D; Makar, Hughes, Josi, Hedmen, Fox, Petro, Matheson
    G; Hart, Grubauer, Sorkin

Prosect list; Krebs, Peterka, Brannstrom

Team #2
    H2H Keeper, Multi Cat, 10 keepers.

F- McDavid, Crosby, Marchand, Pastrnak, Panarin, Malkin, Geuntzel
    D- Barrie, Jones, Yandle, Klingberg
    G- Price, Binnington Hart
    Prospect- Hart, Dubois, Q. Hughes

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Agree w/others - keep 2G.
    In a 10-team league, I'm not keeping 2G...
    But if your league is headed towards 12+ teams, and you can start 2G, then you should keep 2 good ones.

Shatty's value is dropped in keeper leagues with the new direction of NYR.
    Not gonna be a lot of points there.

Dobber Sports Wizard

So you think Couturier's good season might be just luck but Karlsson shooting at 23.8% is not luck? I think it just depends on if you think the Vegas team we see now will continue playing like this next season - or is the entire team coming crashing down after the first season? I believe almost everyone on that team is having a magical career season and can't replicate that after this season but I know some people believe in them.

I'm sure there are good goalies available in the draft but your defensemen just aren't all that good, and I'm sure there are similar level D-men available in the draft as well. Are the goalies going to be better than Jones? I doubt that.

I'm curious about the scoring categories. Is that 2 skater categories versus 4 goalie categories?

If so then keeping Holtby and Jones is imperative. The expansion is pushing you to 12 teams, so 24 starters and let's face it there are maybe 10 or so guys who might post 50+ starts, 35-40+ wins. You currently own two of them.

I'd be willing to bet the pool of defensemen will have more top value over more rounds than Goalies. If you only kept Holtby, Jones would likely go to an expansion team so no chance to redraft him. Plus you'd have to use your 1st or 2nd round picks to replace Jones with a worse goalie. So not only do you downgrade in net, but miss out on a tier of elite scoring in the early rounds.

As for Karlsson vs Couturier, I think both carry similar risk of a decline, however I would bet on Karlsson to replicate similar success next yr. I think his roster situation and role in the offence is more stable. Couturier has missed 20 games twice, and the PHI offense is like a yoyo the past 3yrs. With Patrick, Simonds, & Konecny in the top 6, and Frost, Rubstov, & Lindblom knocking on the door, Couturier's role could change soon.

Karlsson - 3 straight seasons 80+ Games Played, 1st line roster spot locked up, both linemates signed long term. Should sign similar $5milx5yr deal. Goals may drop, but assists could increase.

Besides, you already have Stamkos/Kucherov/Hedmen so keeping Giroux/Couturier means your production in a H2H week is hampered by how many games TB or PHI are playing.

Crosby
    Seguin
    Stamkos
    Kucherov
    Giroux
    W. Karlsson
    D
    E. Karlsson
    Hedmen
    G
    Holtby
    Jones

Good luck!

Dobber Sports Jedi

I keep two goalies and W. Karlsson over Couturier. both are going to regress next year, I think that's a given...

But as the games get tougher in the playoffs, Karlsson's showing he's got elite level speed, shot and hockey sense and is continuing his regular season. 35-35 next year from him would be my expectation.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4