Thread: Deep league SP waiver claim?

The Wolverine

Default Deep league SP waiver claim?

Hey all,

Just drafted (well, unfortunately had to autodraft) in an annual 20 team roto league. I would guess that around 100-120 starting pitchers have been drafted. My pitching was quite weak so having a look at the scraps on waivers to see if worth grabbing someone who has a chance at sneaky value this season (really all I can ask for at this stage). I have the #1 waiver so it really has to be worth it or hope they go unclaimed.

In a vacuum, would you claim (or pick up from FA) one of these guys, and please rank your second best as well. I would appreciate reasons for your selection(s) as I'm not up to speed on them:

Tyler Anderson
    Nate Karns
    Brandon McCarthy
    Josh Tomlin
    German Marquez
    Brandon Finnegan
    Martin Perez

There may be others but it really has been picked clean e.g. noticed Kopech in another thread, he was drafted.

It's a 6x6 format - pitching cats are W,K,ERA,WHIP, plus SV and HLD.

I've also posted on the league page for possible trades to improve my starting pitching. It really is weak (my pre-draft rankings didn't quite work out):

Clevinger
    Peacock (who's likely relieving for now)
    Gohara
    Foltynewicz

That's it. I usually like at least 5 SP and since Peacock likely isn't starting, this needs fixing. I was given an extra two RP, one of which I won't need so would drop to make room for a SP. I might drop Caleb Joseph as well since I have Russell Martin but that would be a secondary option.

Thanks in advance. If there is any other information I haven't included, just ask.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Deep league SP waiver claim?

I would not use my waiver claim on any of them.. There will become a time where someone has to decide between two good players, one that was picked up and one that was on DL. So save your waiver claim.

I would however pick up Marquez if he clears waivers and makes it to free agency. He is just 23 and plays on a team that should win a lot. I would pick him up and only consider him for road starts for the start of the season. But after he has proven himself at home a couple times I could feel could about starting him at home. And if peripheral stats don't don't and it is a H2H points league... I am starting him every game!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Agree that Marquez is your guy but not to use a waiver on him.

The Wolverine

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah Marquez seems to be the favourite.

One thing to note, I know of at least one other manager in a similar boat and may put in a claim for a SP. There's a risk Marquez may not clear. He has the #19 waiver, so might figure might as well use it since it only drops him one place.

That is tough. I am still not sure if Marquez is worth #1 waiver overall... but it also is not worth it to sit on #1 waiver all year waiting for someone good when you are behind the 8 ball to begin with.

Big risk move would be to use the #1 claim on him and hope he gets you wins and doesn't kill you in other categories!

The Wolverine

Yeah it is a tough decision. Also, what I hadn't noticed is that Gohara is out for pretty much all of April. So that leaves me with 2 starting pitchers right now. Of course, I need a trade regardless of this decision.

I would have to make the claim before the end of tomorrow (goes through on Sunday).

I might try adding McCarthy too then. He is nothing flashy but the Braves are going to give him starts. I would never use a waiver on him for sure
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I might try adding McCarthy too then. He is nothing flashy but the Braves are going to give him starts. I would never use a waiver on him for sure
    That's an idea as well - could load up on Braves pitching haha!

Decisions decisions...