Thread: Goalie Prospect Worries?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Goalie Prospect Worries?

Obviously Igor Shestyorkin (NYR) and each of Ilya Sorokin/ Linus Soderstrom (NYI) are highly regarded goalie prospects that are seen as eventually becoming their NHL clubs starting goalie. In a dynasty league, how likely is it that a lesser known prospect (with less of a track record as being a notable prospect) takes the reigns as #1 and doesn't look back...such as Alexandar Georgiev (NYR) or Christopher Gibson (NYI)?
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Goalie Prospect Worries?

I'd say likely to very likely that the each of the 3 you name in the first sentence never claim the crease as a starter for multiple years for the teams named. There are a couple of major reasons, and soem minor ones..

1. Prospects are highly variable, and fail to pan out all the time.
    2. Goalies are not sure things, and fail to perform consistently year to year all the time.
    3. Two of those you named are on the same NHL team. That reduces the chances of either being the guy, and normally increases the chances of one being the guy. Unfortunately, there's still Snow in the forecast for the Islanders, which means crazy stuff can happen.
    4. Two are KHL goalies, and they might not ever come over. Is it likely? Yes, but not certain.

Regarding Georgiev, he seems like he's a reasonable prospect. Look who he shared time with on Russia's Under 20 team one year:
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.p...5&status=stats

Maybe he's the #3 goalie prospect on that team, but the GAA is impressive. No idea who he played, but he's been in the mix with the other 2 Russians, and he's here already.

Gibson a much more run fo the mill prospect, I think, and is already 25.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Wizard

There's always a chance that KHL goalies like Shestyorkin and Sorokin never cross the pond. But if they do, then I would have absolutely no worries about other goalie prospects like Georgiev or Gibson. They're just not in the same tier of talent or even close to it actually. So if those two Russians do cross the pond (and I haven't heard anything indicating they wouldn't once their contracts are over), then you can stop worrying about them. Unless of course their GM thinks he can keep them in the AHL for a long period of time because they're not going to do that - they're crossing the pond to play in the NHL.

I'm not a big fan of Soderstrom, and I don't see him being a threat either.

Administrator

The other goalies on their respective teams are of no concern to me. The only concern is their path playing in North America which as mentioned can be complicated.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust