Thread: Quinn Hughes

Dobber Sports Master

Default Quinn Hughes

Undersized defenceman turns in a rather impressive stat line for Michigan this year, as one of the youngest on the team (and in the division). Anyone know anything about this guy?

Number Name Pos GP G A Pts PIM +/- Birthdate Age Birthplace Hght Wght
    43 Quinn Hughes D 34 4 24 28 24 13 1999-10-14 17 Orlando, FL 5.09 167

Totally wrong thread. Should be in the undrafted prospects thread. Sorry mods, can you move it?
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Quinn Hughes

One of the oldest players in the draft but might be the best skater in the entire draft class. Could end up being a top 5 pick this summer. You'll find a bunch of good comments about him from DobberProspects:
    https://dobberprospects.com/quinn-hughes/
    https://dobberprospects.com/fantasy-...l-entry-draft/
    https://dobberprospects.com/2018-nhl...-2018-edition/
    https://dobberprospects.com/2018-nhl...ruary-edition/

Dobber Sports Wizard

I almost forgot this one. This might be the best article if you want to really drill down on Hughes: https://dobberprospects.com/prospect...-quinn-hughes/

By the way, some are saying he might be a dark horse to jump straight to the NHL after being drafted thanks to his late birthday and his skating ability.

Dobber Sports Master

Thanks for the info man! Great stuff.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I almost forgot this one. This might be the best article if you want to really drill down on Hughes: https://dobberprospects.com/prospect...-quinn-hughes/

By the way, some are saying he might be a dark horse to jump straight to the NHL after being drafted thanks to his late birthday and his skating ability.
    Thanks man. Awesome stuff.

No concerns about size and making the jump? I think I am 5-9 and 167.....
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Thanks man. Awesome stuff.

No concerns about size and making the jump? I think I am 5-9 and 167.....
    We've seen most recently Sam Girard making the jump as a teenager despite his size. It's not really a concern anymore these days.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hughes (the next, great "hockey family of brothers"... Jack, Luke coming) is foremost a puck-rushing, puck-moving defenseman.
    "Skates like the wind" is a phrase you'll see/hear used to describe him.

Smaller, offensive players can bring their active-side skills directly into the NHL.
    Everybody else has to adjust to them.
    That's why smaller wingers (ex. DeBrincat) can jump very efficiently into the NHL.

Larger players, who pride themselves on being two-way (defensive) players, have to really work hard at (slowly) adjusting to NHL place, defending NHL top-end players.
    This most difficultly applies to two-way centers & future shut-down defenders.

Hughes', like all defensemen (& Ghost is a good example), will take some time to adjust to playing... defense... against top NHL players.
    But whoever drafts him can shelter him with 3rd pairing minutes and then just send him out when scoring is needed... or in PP1, PP2 situations.
    For that reason, yes - he can make a straight jump to the NHL as a 3rd-pairing offensive defenseman.

He's going to be a great fantasy player in points-heavy leagues... but perhaps more like a 10th-15th overall fantasy value in leagues with HIT/BLK.

Red Berenson (long-time Michigan coach) has referred to him as one of the best (most elusive) skaters he's ever seen as college freshmen.

(great links by JP, btw)

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Red Berenson (long-time Michigan coach) has referred to him as one of the best (most elusive) skaters he's ever seen as college freshmen.

(great links by JP, btw)
    And that's a coach that had Dylan Larkin, who is a fantastic skater. Kyle Connor too.. So no small praise.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Master

Great play, but if he pulls that in the NHL he will get killed.

https://www.tsn.ca/must-see/video/mu...winner~1453387
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Great play, but if he pulls that in the NHL he will get killed.
    I think this get said too often said of prospects who pull great plays in junior/college. Hughes didn't have his head down, he didn't extend his body or knees to put himself in a vulnerable position. He used his speed to force the defender to panic and look at the puck, then drew the lower defenders toward him leaving his team mate open. I don't see why he can't do the same stuff in the NHL with his speed and manoeuvrability, albeit with some adjustment for the higher level of competition...but that's what the great players do.

Dobber Sports Guru

Yeah I think going back to college for 1 more year was wise. He's got work to do in both the weight room and on some of defensive things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5NIR0MiDKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW4oFBUdy3g

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    I think this get said too often said of prospects who pull great plays in junior/college. Hughes didn't have his head down, he didn't extend his body or knees to put himself in a vulnerable position. He used his speed to force the defender to panic and look at the puck, then drew the lower defenders toward him leaving his team mate open. I don't see why he can't do the same stuff in the NHL with his speed and manoeuvrability, albeit with some adjustment for the higher level of competition...but that's what the great players do.
    While that can be true, I say this mostly because NHL players are much, much, much faster than anyone he's played against in college or junior. He may well be a special player, but there is way less space in the NHL. Men, not boys. I'm sure he will be great, but I don't think he'll pull this kind of stuff without getting rocked at least a few times.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Genius

I live and Vancouver and I know I am caught dead in the Quinn Hughes hype/propaganda stream. It is hard to get a true read on how he is viewed outside my media bubble.

How good is the elder Hughes? Are there any recent comparables?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I live and Vancouver and I know I am caught dead in the Quinn Hughes hype/propaganda stream. It is hard to get a true read on how he is viewed outside my media bubble.

How good is the elder Hughes? Are there any recent comparables?
    Very good. Possibly the third best defense prospect in the world right now behind Dahlin and Heiskanen.