Thread: Mid week playoff strategy

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Mid week playoff strategy

Just curious as to what other teams have done in the past. When you're in a fantasy playoff battle and every category is tight....do you try to improve on your weaknesses and go for those categories? Or do you just try to stick to your bread and butter categories and win those.

My view the past few years is that my roster SHOULD outscore any opponent. It always leads to Goals, PPP and SOG. At the same time...my goalies are awful and so far have been worse....case in point Ottawa and Arizona beating Florida and LA.

In my case would you still try to get those random wins and hope for a shutout?? Or just stack the categories you know you're already good at?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Mid week playoff strategy

Whatever the best way is for you to get your majority of the categories. Depends week to week what the startegy may be. I'm adaptable, but at the end of the day, I need my 5.5/10 categories to win. So about this point in the week, I'll go through and figure out which I have locked down, and at that point, how many more I need to win to get through. Then pick the most surefire way to get that number. Hits types are the easiest, all the way down to Gaa/sv% types that are the hardest.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe not a big help, but those are my thoughts.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Whatever the best way is for you to get your majority of the categories. Depends week to week what the startegy may be. I'm adaptable, but at the end of the day, I need my 5.5/10 categories to win. So about this point in the week, I'll go through and figure out which I have locked down, and at that point, how many more I need to win to get through. Then pick the most surefire way to get that number. Hits types are the easiest, all the way down to Gaa/sv% types that are the hardest.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe not a big help, but those are my thoughts.
    LOL no it is. Just curious as to what others do.

Basically deciding between going for some random wins (even though he has Bob and Gibson and my Lundqvist is seemingly benched) ....or going for player cats.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm living this right now - nice thread. Personally, every situation is different as there are so many factors at play, so I try to adapt to the specific situation my squad is facing. It depends on the categories in question, the leads/deficits, who is available on the wire, etc. Details I like to consider are my remaining schedule vs my opponents and the stat profile of the players having the most/least games remaining....this can determine which categories to bolster or abandon altogether. If categories like hits and blocks are in play, home vs road games and the arena being played in can have a big factor for potential pickups. I also like to wait until the last possible moment to make my move. This avoids last minute injury/scratch surprises, and often lets you react to what your opponent is doing in terms of adds/drops, and to counter accordingly.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I always focus on the stats I am good at and go for them.

The perfect example of how the goalies are to predict is Arizona and Ottawa getting those wins. Goalies are too dependent on a win for fantasy points.. so if I don';t have the big name guys and am more focused on other stats.. I stick with them.

Big Daddy

I tend to look at categories that I have a slight lead in (try to lock those down) and/or categories that I am slightly behind in and target players off free agency that can fill those needs AND have the most man games available. Thursday/Friday/Sunday games are always helpful if you can find useful players with that schedule.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström