Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo IR+ workaround

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Yahoo IR+ workaround

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It works. If you had a handful of guys qualify for IR at the start of the season you could set your lines ahead of time for the entire year if you wanted to using those IR spots as 'bench' spots. Then, when other players are injured you can adjust your lines again and swap the players stuck in IR. The only restriction would be that Yahoo wont let you use the waiver wire unless your roster is complient.
    Ah I see what I was missing. Yahoo still moves the players into the IR+ spot on the day in question, even if their status no longer allows it!
    Surprised this works in yahoo!

Dobber Sports Immortal

It works. If you had a handful of guys qualify for IR at the start of the season you could set your lines ahead of time for the entire year if you wanted to using those IR spots as 'bench' spots. Then, when other players are injured you can adjust your lines again and swap the players stuck in IR. The only restriction would be that Yahoo wont let you use the waiver wire unless your roster is complient.
    Wow I am shocked. Let us know EB..

Dobber Sports Initiate

I've been doing this for years.

I think that sacrificing the ability to add/drop players is payment enough for extending your bench by an extra spot. As soon as you want to make an add, your plan is done.
    14-Team H2H Limited Keeper League

Rosters: 3C, 5W, 4D, 1U, 2G, 5B, 2IR+, 1NA
    Keep: 4 F, 2 D, 1 G
    Skater Stats: G (3), A (2), +/- (0.3), PIM (0.4), PPP (0.5), SHP (1), GWG (1), SOG (0.3), Hits (0.1), Blks (0.25), FW (0.05)
    Goalie Stats: W (5), SV (0.3), GA (-2), SHO (2)

C: Crosby, Zegras
    W: Pastrnak, Keller

D: Karlsson, Montour
    G:Oettinger
    IR+:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Padawan

Out of curiousity, to those who use this tactic: How far in advance are you setting your lines when you want to do this?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    Out of curiousity, to those who use this tactic: How far in advance are you setting your lines when you want to do this?
    Generally just a week. I'm far too active (or antsy) in free agency/waivers to not make a move for that long.
    14-Team H2H Limited Keeper League

Rosters: 3C, 5W, 4D, 1U, 2G, 5B, 2IR+, 1NA
    Keep: 4 F, 2 D, 1 G
    Skater Stats: G (3), A (2), +/- (0.3), PIM (0.4), PPP (0.5), SHP (1), GWG (1), SOG (0.3), Hits (0.1), Blks (0.25), FW (0.05)
    Goalie Stats: W (5), SV (0.3), GA (-2), SHO (2)

C: Crosby, Zegras
    W: Pastrnak, Keller

D: Karlsson, Montour
    G:Oettinger
    IR+:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Wizard

Edmonton plays Wednesday and Sunday where Arizona does not. Both players qualify for IR+ now and let's assume they won't after today. So by setting his lines prior to the players using IR status he's essentially swapping them in and out of his lines. Healthy Raanta in on Tuesday, Healthy Raanta to IR on Wednesday healthy Klefnbom in, Healthy Klefbom to IR on Saturday Raanta in, Healthy Raanta to IR on Sunday healthy Klefnbom in. It's an illegal roster in spirit but since the lines were set prior to the players losing IR status Yahoo let's the lines stay as they were set with the only resriction being he can't use the waiver wire which he isn't planning to.
    OK, so it's a Yahoo glitch then. With Fantrax, you'd have an illegal roster and you wouldn't accumulate any stats for that day. It's probably been 5 years since I used Yahoo, so didn't know they still have that glitch.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by rjfisher83 View Post

I think that sacrificing the ability to add/drop players is payment enough for extending your bench by an extra spot. As soon as you want to make an add, your plan is done.
    So just so I get this fully....this only applies if you have 2 players on IR/IR+ that both come back within a certain time frame??

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    So just so I get this fully....this only applies if you have 2 players on IR/IR+ that both come back within a certain time frame??
    No, I think they only need to both be IR eligible when you are presetting the lines. The 'moves' that yahoo makes based off of your past instructions will move the player in and out of the IR space without rechecking their status. So in theory you could have two players moving on and off IR while healthy all year, as long as you preset all the lines back when they were both IR eligible.

Nice loophole there EB

Dobber Sports Immortal

Now that I fully understand..........that is pretty slimy haha.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Just looked on the Yahoo suggestions page and this problem is listed as being "Reviewed" by Yahoo.

Cancel future roster moves if an uninjured player is moved to active roster

If a manager has a previously injured player in their active roster and due to future setting their roster, this active player is being swapped in the IR/IR+ slot with another player that either has or had an IR/IR+ designation, cancel all future roster changes so that this roster swapping of uninjured players can't continue.

If you've never been to that page it's neat to see what people are bringing up / complaining about and also look at if Yahoo is acknowledging it. A lot of them will show "Gathering Feedback" but sometimes will transition to "Started" and then "Completed. Or sometimes there is "Planned".....like right now having the app show you GP when looking at stats is Planned. Very helpful.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rjfisher83 View Post

I've also been doing this for years. I don't think it makes a huge difference honestly but it's a neat little trick.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

This is why the CRA came up with GAAR - General Anti Avoidance Rule... to catch all those people trying to avoid taxes... haha...

It may not be in the rules but it is definitely taking advantage of the IR + slot... and it is questionable...

just like my advice to those paying taxes... if you don't have to pay them and the authority doesn't care... go for it!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Here's the setup, I'm in the semifinals match this week, and I have set my roster up pretty well to maximize games. Don't envision adding/dropping anyone for the rest of the week, until Saturday night where I may pick up a few guys for a Sunday push.
    We have one IR+ slot, and I have two guys currently day to day. Raanta, who is due back anytime, and Klefbom, who could (should? Maybe?) be back by the end of the week. Raanta would likely get scooped up by one of the other 3 remaining teams if I were to drop him, and Klefbom is likely a keeper for me.

At this point, I thought "hey, why can't I set my lineup for the week, alternating who is on IR+ based on who isn't playing that day". Basically it turns it into an extra bench slot since they're both listed as DTD at the moment of setting the lineup, but now I have my lineup locked in for the week with an extra game wherever possible.

My question is threefold:
    -Has anyone ever done this?
    -Does it work in the yahoo system?
    -And is it (to borrow newfcollins' word) slimy?
    Yes, it works. I know this because I have Marchand, Raanta, Monahan and R. Smith. So that's exactly what I did this week. Set my lines in advance and rotated the IR+ spot.

Dobber Sports Titan

Some good thoughts here. Appreciate all the input!

I've brought it forward to the league commish to see what he says about it, so one way or the other it gets resolved

Makes for a good discussion though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    OK, so it's a Yahoo glitch then. With Fantrax, you'd have an illegal roster and you wouldn't accumulate any stats for that day. It's probably been 5 years since I used Yahoo, so didn't know they still have that glitch.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. This works in Fantrax too. IE - with Monahan, and can move him from between active line up and IR spot throughout the week, without any issues. Even if Monahan plays a game and loses his flag, it has absolutely no impact on the legality of my roster. (If it does for yours, then you've likely changed the custom settings for this)...