Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo IR+ workaround

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Yahoo IR+ workaround

Here's the setup, I'm in the semifinals match this week, and I have set my roster up pretty well to maximize games. Don't envision adding/dropping anyone for the rest of the week, until Saturday night where I may pick up a few guys for a Sunday push.
    We have one IR+ slot, and I have two guys currently day to day. Raanta, who is due back anytime, and Klefbom, who could (should? Maybe?) be back by the end of the week. Raanta would likely get scooped up by one of the other 3 remaining teams if I were to drop him, and Klefbom is likely a keeper for me.

At this point, I thought "hey, why can't I set my lineup for the week, alternating who is on IR+ based on who isn't playing that day". Basically it turns it into an extra bench slot since they're both listed as DTD at the moment of setting the lineup, but now I have my lineup locked in for the week with an extra game wherever possible.

My question is threefold:
    -Has anyone ever done this?
    -Does it work in the yahoo system?
    -And is it (to borrow newfcollins' word) slimy?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Yahoo IR+ workaround

Interesting....but my first question is I thought leagues with weekly lineup locks make you put the same player in a position every day?? Or am I reading this wrong.

Dobber Sports Icon

If it works, power to ya... nice workaround and I wish I would have found it. Also, given that I'm your opponent in this matchup, my opinion should count for something

Of course, there are a whole bunch of reasons that you may end up having to make a roster change mid-week that could throw your whole plan out of whack.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wait... is that how you beat me every week this year Ebro?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Interesting....but my first question is I thought leagues with weekly lineup locks make you put the same player in a position every day?? Or am I reading this wrong.
    Daily lineups, I'm just setting them ahead for the week.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    If it works, power to ya... nice workaround and I wish I would have found it. Also, given that I'm your opponent in this matchup, my opinion should count for something

Of course, there are a whole bunch of reasons that you may end up having to make a roster change mid-week that could throw your whole plan out of whack.
    Was wondering if you would find this since you haven't been around as much haha. And yeah, so many things can go wrong with it. I'm probably jinxing myself into another injury or two.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Wait... is that how you beat me every week this year Ebro?
    Haha nope! I've never done this before, hence the questions

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yes, it works
    Yes, I've done it
    and yes, it's slimy. It goes against the spirit and purpose of the IR slot. Like you said, you're turning the IR slot into a bench position.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Gotcha. Well then I don't think it's slimy at all. You're taking advantage of the system for sure....but I don't blame you for having the foresight to plan out your lineup.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Gotcha. Well then I don't think it's slimy at all. You're taking advantage of the system for sure....but I don't blame you for having the foresight to plan out your lineup.
    Is taking advantage of the system not slimy though? I'm not saying it's cheating, I just appreciate sportsmanship and I'd consider anything unsportsmanlike to be slimy. I also just generally hate the position that if there's not specific rule against it then it's fair game. It's just a game and we're probably grown men. We know when we're offside or not.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I don't understand how this helps you besides not having to set lineups every day. I mean, if one of them comes back today and you have set them to IR for future days, wouldn't that create an illegal roster? At least that's how it works in Fantrax (I think - I don't usually set my lineup in advance).

Dobber Sports Veteran

Edmonton plays Wednesday and Sunday where Arizona does not. Both players qualify for IR+ now and let's assume they won't after today. So by setting his lines prior to the players using IR status he's essentially swapping them in and out of his lines. Healthy Raanta in on Tuesday, Healthy Raanta to IR on Wednesday healthy Klefnbom in, Healthy Klefbom to IR on Saturday Raanta in, Healthy Raanta to IR on Sunday healthy Klefnbom in. It's an illegal roster in spirit but since the lines were set prior to the players losing IR status Yahoo let's the lines stay as they were set with the only resriction being he can't use the waiver wire which he isn't planning to.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Thinking about this more....I don't think Yahoo will let you do it. I'm pretty sure you'll get an error whenever someone is taken off IR+.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I don't think I fully understand.

So you have multiple guys on DTD, one of which is in your IR+ slot and the other is taking up a bench spot.
    So you have 2 players occupying two spaces.

Now if one of these players comes off DTD (that is to say, becomes ready to play) you then make sure the player still on DTD moves to your IR+. You now have 1 DTD player on IR+, and one ready to play player on your bench? Still two players taking up two spots.

What is the issue? You took the chance when the week started to have an DTD player riding your bench spot, and thus you get to use that player if they come back.

Similarly if I had a player coming off IR, and another player gets injured, I would swap the injured player onto IR and the healthy guy back into my lineup off IR without dropping anyone.
    Both options are totally legit and I haven't even seen them be brought up as a potential issue before.
    Is there something I'm missing?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thinking about this more....I don't think Yahoo will let you do it. I'm pretty sure you'll get an error whenever someone is taken off IR+.
    It works. If you had a handful of guys qualify for IR at the start of the season you could set your lines ahead of time for the entire year if you wanted to using those IR spots as 'bench' spots. Then, when other players are injured you can adjust your lines again and swap the players stuck in IR. The only restriction would be that Yahoo wont let you use the waiver wire unless your roster is complient.

@masterbyte

Lines are set daily, if you have two players that qualify for IR that are about to become active ( ideally playing on off-nights to each other,) you set your lines ahead of time so healthy players are constantly entering and leaving those IR spots. It's not leaving a healthy player on IR. It's having a healthy player leave IR for a game then go back to IR while healthy.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    I don't think I fully understand.

So you have multiple guys on DTD, one of which is in your IR+ slot and the other is taking up a bench spot.
    So you have 2 players occupying two spaces.

Now if one of these players comes off DTD (that is to say, becomes ready to play) you then make sure the player still on DTD moves to your IR+. You now have 1 DTD player on IR+, and one ready to play player on your bench? Still two players taking up two spots.

What is the issue? You took the chance when the week started to have an DTD player riding your bench spot, and thus you get to use that player if they come back.

Similarly if I had a player coming off IR, and another player gets injured, I would swap the injured player onto IR and the healthy guy back into my lineup off IR without dropping anyone.
    Both options are totally legit and I haven't even seen them be brought up as a potential issue before.
    Is there something I'm missing?
    I don't think I did at first either

But I believe he meant he was going to set his lineup in advance for the entire week with the assumption that his IR+ guys will come back at some point. He was asking if he sets it now and alternates who is in the IR+ spot throughout the week to accommodate their games, would Yahoo kick in at some point and not allow it because one or both are not actually on IR+.