Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: The Next Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: The Next Vasilevskiy

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    And Pogge over Rask.
    Markstrom vs Bernier
    Pavalec becoming fantasy relevant a couple years back... Thanks again for that tip Dobber

lol
    Even the Leafs chose Andrew Raycroft over Tuuka Rask!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

The Great One

To me its Saros. I know hes divisive (and diminutive)- but he's already had dominan stretches as a backup. To me thats what the next Vasilevskiy means. A guy in your system who has put up numbers so good that he starts to push out the perfectly reasonable option ahead of him. Im sold on Saros and love what Ive read on him. Also love a good underdog story and I think hes got the unique skillset and athletecism required to succeed as a small goalie in todays league of lumberjack netminders.

Runner up is Jarry. I didnt realize he had so much hype in his own right. Hes been legitimately good his whole career as well.

Dell doesnt quite fit the bill and has stumbled (pretty badly at times)- but I think he can be a reasonable bargain for a guy with at the very least- starter upside.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If there's one thing I've learned about fantasy hockey, 90% of the names listed here probably won't even be fantasy relevant NHL goalies. Sure you throw enough names on the wall, someone will stick, but picking which one is damn near impossible.

Good luck finding the next Vasilevskiy. Im sure he's out there but being confident on who it will be is picking the lotto numbers.

Anyone here won Lotto 6/49 lately?
    Bold statement.

I am sure many are still waiting on Jack Campbell, Mark Visentin, Chet Pickard, Riku Helenius, and Leland Irving to pan out as well. And those are just the 1st round selections by NHL teams since 2006 who I am sure were drafted by many in fantasy drafts early on who never really made an impact.

Point is, goalie prospects are finicky and hard to gauge. We are just seeing the fruits of Jakob Markstrom pay off, and he was previous known as the best goalie prospect on the planet.

It's funny, I googled Jacob Markstrom best goalie prospect and found a link off the HF Boards from 2011 and they have a thread on who they thought was the best goalie prospects at that time. Most of the lists have some sort of grouping like:

1. Jacob Markstrom
    2. Jack Campbell
    3. Robin Lehner
    Braden Holtby
    5. Andres Lindback
    6. Calvin Pickard
    7. Alex Stalock
    8. Dustin Tokarski
    9. Jack Allen
    10. Richard Bachman

HM
    Mike Murphy
    Alex Salak
    Joni Ortio

Holtby was obviously a hit, but to be fair Holtby had already made his NHL debut in 2010 so while he was still a prospect, he was already establishing himself. JACK Allen (LOL!) has made his mark as well and as I mentioned, we are just seeing Markstrom make his mark now. Lehner has turned into a legit NHL starter as well.

A few other lists had Kevin Poulin, Matt Hackett and even Ben Scrivens.
    It is fun to go back and read peoples thoughts on some of these kids.
    Backed up by numbers.

---
    Bachman actually played pretty well for the Canucks on call up. I have hopes for Demko (no other choice) but the road is gonna be rocky, really rocky. He isn't stepping into the same team as Vas.

Will keep an eye on Husso, thanks for mentioning him fellas!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Bold statement.

Backed up by numbers.

---
    Bachman actually played pretty well for the Canucks on call up. I have hopes for Demko (no other choice) but the road is gonna be rocky, really rocky. He isn't stepping into the same team as Vas.

Will keep an eye on Husso, thanks for mentioning him fellas!
    The sad part about that list, and don't get me wrong, that was just a random list from 2011, is that most of those names are known names because they were big prospects back in the day, but most of them never got any closer to the NHL then anything other then being a viable backup NHL goalie, a fringe one at that.

Much like the names being thrown in this list, I wont be surprised in five years time that someone digs up this thread and sees a lot of these names and most of them will probably be fringe backups as well with a couple (IMO at best) will be legit NHL starters. Unfortunately, it's just the way it is. This is why I rarely invest much in prospect goalies in most of my keeper leagues. I'd rather pay for actual NHL assets then pipe dreams and shiny names.

I wont lie, I will ask about prospect goalies like any other fantasy GM out there in my trade talks, I simply won't overpay for any of them. If the price is right (and it rarely is) I will bite.

I dont want to sound like a Debbie-downer and hope I am wrong here but facts are facts and the facts are that most high end prospect goalies end up being more than that. Unfortunately, minor leagues and fancy names don't win fantasy hockey leagues.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Carter Hart, PHI.
    12 team - 12 keeper Dynasty league H2H
    --------------------------------------------------
    Stats : G A PTS +\- PPP SOG FOW Hits, Blocks, Wins GAA save % Shutout

LW: Gaudreau, Domi, RNH
    C: Mackinnon, Point, Getzlaf
    RW: Kane, Aho, Donato
    D: Hedmen, Subban, Krug, Nurse, Gustafsson

Goalie : Vasilevskiy, Bennington

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I like Demko and don't forget about Shesterskin Lunqvist is getting old.
    Keeper league
    18 Team, General manager
    G,A,W,SO
    12 fwd, 6 def and 2 goalie
    Have to protect 12 players including 3 defense

Team
    M Rossi, Raymond, Bedard
    Kyrou, Dach, E.Pettersson
    Holtz, Burakovski, E.Kane
    Brown, Barabanov, Bennett

Dahlin, Drysdale, Q Hughes
    Petry, Spurgeon, Moser

Kochetkov, Hart

Dobber Sports Wizard

The sad part about that list, and don't get me wrong, that was just a random list from 2011, is that most of those names are known names because they were big prospects back in the day, but most of them never got any closer to the NHL then anything other then being a viable backup NHL goalie, a fringe one at that.

Much like the names being thrown in this list, I wont be surprised in five years time that someone digs up this thread and sees a lot of these names and most of them will probably be fringe backups as well with a couple (IMO at best) will be legit NHL starters. Unfortunately, it's just the way it is. This is why I rarely invest much in prospect goalies in most of my keeper leagues. I'd rather pay for actual NHL assets then pipe dreams and shiny names.

I wont lie, I will ask about prospect goalies like any other fantasy GM out there in my trade talks, I simply won't overpay for any of them. If the price is right (and it rarely is) I will bite.

I dont want to sound like a Debbie-downer and hope I am wrong here but facts are facts and the facts are that most high end prospect goalies end up being more than that. Unfortunately, minor leagues and fancy names don't win fantasy hockey leagues.
    This reminded me that I actually did a bit more research into this about one year ago and managed to find it from the forum: https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...spect-analysis

This was the end result from my analysis:
    In either case, the average success rate is 10%. And by success I mean finding an NHL starter.

Dobber Sports Ninja

If there's one thing I've learned about fantasy hockey, 90% of the names listed here probably won't even be fantasy relevant NHL goalies. Sure you throw enough names on the wall, someone will stick, but picking which one is damn near impossible.

Good luck finding the next Vasilevskiy. Im sure he's out there but being confident on who it will be is picking the lotto numbers.

Anyone here won Lotto 6/49 lately?
    Remember when the 3 most coveted goalie prospects for fantasy were Markstrom Lehner and Bernier? LOL
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Remember when the 3 most coveted goalie prospects for fantasy were Markstrom Lehner and Bernier? LOL
    I do remember that.. Markstrom was supposed to turn into Lundqvist.. I remember aquiring both Markstrom and Bernier and thinkng I was set!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Pro

In the 3 years I've been playing in my dynasty league, the only goalie prospects I have invested in prior to their first season as a starting goaltender are:

Vasilevskiy
    Hellebuyck
    Demko

Too bad I traded Hellebuyck at the end of last year... for Talbot. What a bummer.

Can I go 3 for 3?? C'mon Demko, baby!!

Edit:

What are the odds of that anyways? 10% x 10% x 10%... = .1% chance? Damnit. Better not invest in Demko, guys. I ruined him for all of us.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I remember when I was first starting to get really avid into Fantasy Hockey the prospect debate for goalies was you couldn't miss if you grabbed one of Price, Rask, or Bernier. I think it's obvious who i grabbed from that trifecta :P

Dobber Sports Sage

Steve Mason

The Great One

The thing with goalies is most become absolutely worthless but the ones that turn into something are more precious than gold.

I drafted Steve Mason 2nd overall in my 10 year keeper league in 2009, 2nd overall.

The year before, the inaugural draft, I drafted Rask in the later rounds. Still have him to this day.

I've also drafted Berra and Lack. Busts.

I think it's best to draft a goalie in the last rounds than it is to take one early. If you manage to get one that way it's great. The next option for me is to trade for a proven starter. Drafting well in other 'secure' areas is key.