Thread: 2018 draft comparables

Dobber Sports Stud

Default 2018 draft comparables

'Tis the season to start looking harder at the 2018 draft. I'm looking for some comparables for the guys that are considered top 10-15 picks.

I'm looking for what type of player he'll end up being as well as who you'll think he'll match up with in terms of potential. (For example, although A. Boqvist may play like E. Karlsson, is he really going to be that good?...)

Guys like:
    Dahlin-
    Svechnikov-
    Zadina-
    Tkachuk-
    Hughes-
    Boqvist-
    Bouchard-
    TSmith-
    Wahlstrom-
    Merkley-
    Dobson-

and whoever else comes to mind, please add.

Thanks in advance.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: 2018 draft comparables

Dale Hunter compared E.Bouchard to J.Carlson

Craig Button said that A.Svechnikov reminded him the play of M.Hossa

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post

Guys like:
    Dahlin - I drool
    Svechnikov - I see the Hossa comp
    Zadina - More polished Aho
    Tkachuk - An old slow mule
    Hughes - Sami Vatenen to Tory Krug
    Boqvist - A better Makar
    Bouchard - I see Duncan Keith with a hard shot
    TSmith-
    Wahlstrom - I see a speedy Pastrnak (My favorite prospect after the top 3)
    Merkley-
    Dobson-
    My two cents
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Veteran

I've seen Barrett Hayton compared to Patrice Bergeron which sounds about right from what I've seen. He'd likely be getting more attention were he not buried on a stacked Greyhounds team.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Stencil View Post

how many people remember the young Hossa?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Stencil View Post

Thats a big comparison. I remember a players poll a few years back and it was almost unanimous that Hossa was considered the "strongest" (like straight up physical strength)- in the whole league. That always stuck with me and hearing a comparison towards Hossa gets my interest piqued...

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    My two cents
    Tkachuck as an old slow mule! Haha!

Lots of mixed feelings on this guy. I see Wahlstrom going before him.

Thanks for the input here.

Anyone else?
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    how many people remember the young Hossa?
    I watch the Hawks, still even though they're having a bad year, and the thing I remember about watching Hossa is he was a truck with the puck. You couldn't get that thing off him.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think the point about ?young Hossa? is talking about his Senators days. He was skinny, fast, and almost acrobatic. I remember coming back to Canada in 2008 and seeing him in a Penguins jersey in the playoffs looks like a tank! Barely recognized him as the same guy that played in Ottawa.

Edit: here we are

http://www.canoe.ca/DraftProfiles/hossa.html

Does that sound like the hossa you know?

Dobber Sports Legend

Dahlin - Patrick Kane type razzle-dazzle on defense, mixed with a Ryan Suter calmness. I don't think he'll put up Karlsson numbers, but he should put up Hedman digits.

Svechnikov - I do see some "young Hossa" in him, and yes, I remember baby Hossa for the Sens. Similar drive to the net and 200 foot game, maturity, skills.

Zadina - Reminds me of a young, smaller, left-shot Dany Heatley. Great scoring mitts, creative, slick. Modern day: think Rakell, Forsberg. MacKinnon-like violence when whipping shots at the net.

Tkachuk - Will be a better NHLer than fantasy, but he reminds me of a young Bobby Ryan. In the right situation though, he could show flashes of Ryan in Anaheim (good stats). Great hands around the paint.

Hughes - Stylistically, he reminds me of a young Brian Leetch (just style). He loves to scoot and is smooth in his own end. Not big - small like Leetch, but compact-looking. We're probably looking at a Ghost in Philly with a little more defensive polish when he matures. Not as grimy as Duncan Keith, although a bit flashier.

Boqvist - The Swedish Torey Krug. In the right situation (cough, Edmonton) he'll be Grade-A fantasy currency.

Bouchard - I definitely see a lot of John Carlson in him. Bazooka from the point, not very fast but gets from A-to-B fine enough. Awesome offensive chops and solid, composed personality.

T. Smith - If Duncan Keith is a nice bottle of chilled Gatorade in a 7-11 refrigerator, Smith is the powder mix that you buy at Dick's Sporting Goods and whip together at home. Never tastes as delicious, but still does the job.

Wahlstrom - James Neal without the douchebaggery. So, American Forsberg, perhaps? Great mitts.

Merkley - See: Murphy, Ryan. Lights out skills, but small, moody and too egotistical for his own good. Rumors of being a "coach's nightmare." Skill wise, he's up there with Hughes and Boqvist for sure.

Dobson - Some have said Alex Pietrangelo but I see a young Dougie Hamilton.

Dobber Sports Ace

I hate being old. And not realizing it. I remember Hossa killing it as a Portland Winterhawk.

Dobber Sports Master

thats a creative mind you have there fung !

''T. Smith - If Duncan Keith is a nice bottle of chilled Gatorade in a 7-11 refrigerator, Smith is the powder mix that you buy at Dick's Sporting Goods and whip together at home. Never tastes as delicious, but still does the job.''

Dobber Sports Stud

I recall seeing Hossa and Bonk really lighting it up in Ottawa. The 2002 version was such a solid team with Redden, Chara, Fisher, Havlat, Todd White and Daniel Alfredsson. Phillips & Rachunek.
    Hoss potted 45 plants with 14PPG that year
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Dahlin - Patrick Kane type razzle-dazzle on defense, mixed with a Ryan Suter calmness. I don't think he'll put up Karlsson numbers, but he should put up Hedman digits.

Svechnikov - I do see some "young Hossa" in him, and yes, I remember baby Hossa for the Sens. Similar drive to the net and 200 foot game, maturity, skills.

Zadina - Reminds me of a young, smaller, left-shot Dany Heatley. Great scoring mitts, creative, slick. Modern day: think Rakell, Forsberg. MacKinnon-like violence when whipping shots at the net.

Tkachuk - Will be a better NHLer than fantasy, but he reminds me of a young Bobby Ryan. In the right situation though, he could show flashes of Ryan in Anaheim (good stats). Great hands around the paint.

Hughes - Stylistically, he reminds me of a young Brian Leetch (just style). He loves to scoot and is smooth in his own end. Not big - small like Leetch, but compact-looking. We're probably looking at a Ghost in Philly with a little more defensive polish when he matures. Not as grimy as Duncan Keith, although a bit flashier.

Boqvist - The Swedish Torey Krug. In the right situation (cough, Edmonton) he'll be Grade-A fantasy currency.

Bouchard - I definitely see a lot of John Carlson in him. Bazooka from the point, not very fast but gets from A-to-B fine enough. Awesome offensive chops and solid, composed personality.

T. Smith - If Duncan Keith is a nice bottle of chilled Gatorade in a 7-11 refrigerator, Smith is the powder mix that you buy at Dick's Sporting Goods and whip together at home. Never tastes as delicious, but still does the job.

Wahlstrom - James Neal without the douchebaggery. So, American Forsberg, perhaps? Great mitts.

Merkley - See: Murphy, Ryan. Lights out skills, but small, moody and too egotistical for his own good. Rumors of being a "coach's nightmare." Skill wise, he's up there with Hughes and Boqvist for sure.

Dobson - Some have said Alex Pietrangelo but I see a young Dougie Hamilton.
    Im just curious why James Neal qulaifies for douche baggery? Just never heard that abiout him...

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Im just curious why James Neal qulaifies for douche baggery? Just never heard that abiout him...
    Really? Oh yeah, especially during his Pens years and the Philly/PIT wars. He was very dirty, cheap with head shots and the like. Loved chirping after the whistle and toeing the edge. He really toned it down in Vegas, because they don't play that style.

Enjoy...