Hey all, I'm looking for opinions on this guy in terms of

-upside(goals and assists separately)
    -how long it takes to get there

thanks in advance.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Borgstrom

potential he plays next year. upside is 65+... could be 2-4 years to reach it.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Could even play late this season if his college season ends early enough. I can see him scoring 30 goals and 70 points at some point (2-3 years from now most likely). One of the best prospects in the game right now.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Could even play late this season if his college season ends early enough. I can see him scoring 30 goals and 70 points at some point (2-3 years from now most likely). One of the best prospects in the game right now.
    Nice. Corey Pronman has him as his 5th favourite prospect (Mittlestadt, Tolvanen, Heiskanen, and Necas - in that order) ahead of him. So 5th is great. What are people's opinion on Pronman's work?
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Pro

Borgstrom is one of the top prospects out there, 60+ point potential

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Nice. Corey Pronman has him as his 5th favourite prospect (Mittlestadt, Tolvanen, Heiskanen, and Necas - in that order) ahead of him. So 5th is great. What are people's opinion on Pronman's work?
    Pronman is awesome, but I believe he does not do his prospect ranking based on fantasy upside but more NHL upside
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Wizard

The fact that Pronman has Mittelstadt and Necas ahead of Pettersson makes me really look at his list with a huge grain of salt.

But as far as Borgstrom is concerned, I agree he is one of the best prospects and has very high upside and not long too wait to see his first NHL game.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    The fact that Pronman has Mittelstadt and Necas ahead of Pettersson makes me really look at his list with a huge grain of salt.
    There are real concerns about Pettersson's skating, play without the puck, his ability to play center at the highest level (he can't yet even do it in the SHL), and how his game translates to the smaller ice size where he has less room to maneuver. Centers are more valuable than wingers, so I can understand putting Pettersson a few spots lower if you don't believe he can play center in the NHL. As mentioned above, it's a real life ranking, not for fantasy hockey purposes. There's no doubt about his ability to put up points.

I'm not saying I would rank them like that (I'd have Pettersson in my Top 5) but I can see the argument. None of them are perfect prospects, so it's just a matter of which traits you value the most.

Dobber Sports Wizard

There are real concerns about Pettersson's skating, play without the puck, his ability to play center at the highest level (he can't yet even do it in the SHL), and how his game translates to the smaller ice size where he has less room to maneuver. Centers are more valuable than wingers, so I can understand putting Pettersson a few spots lower if you don't believe he can play center in the NHL. As mentioned above, it's a real life ranking, not for fantasy hockey purposes. There's no doubt about his ability to put up points.

I'm not saying I would rank them like that (I'd have Pettersson in my Top 5) but I can see the argument. None of them are perfect prospects, so it's just a matter of which traits you value the most.
    Pettersson is an OK skater. I don't see real concerns here. What 18-year old can't learn to play without the puck better? If he ends up being a winger, that's fine. He is the best drafted prospect right now and his SHL numbers and the eye test support this.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Pettersson is an OK skater. I don't see real concerns here. What 18-year old can't learn to play without the puck better? If he ends up being a winger, that's fine. He is the best drafted prospect right now and his SHL numbers and the eye test support this.
    Everyone has their own opinion. Just based on what I've read, Pronman puts a lot of emphasis on skating and values centers much higher than wingers because they have a bigger impact in the NHL, so those are probably the main reasons he doesn't have Pettersson as high as others may have. Scouting is an inexact science, so whenever I see someone saying a scout is "wrong", it just rubs me the wrong way because that's not really possible - his opinion is just different from yours. You don't have to agree with everyone (I know I don't) but you can still respect everyone's opinion and learn from what they think. When someone raises doubts about a prospect, it's better to take note of that and take a closer look yourself to see if he might be right instead of just ignoring those concerns.

Similar to Draisaitl - if he can't carry his own line as the center, his current cap hit will look bad. A #2C is more valuable than a #1W in that sense.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    What are people's opinion on Pronman's work?
    Here are Pronman's draft rankings from 2011 and 2012. This will give you an idea and how Pronman works.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck...?articleid=955
    http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck...articleid=1305

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Here are Pronman's draft rankings from 2011 and 2012. This will give you an idea and how Pronman works.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck...?articleid=955
    http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck...articleid=1305
    Some very good findings from him there like having Couturier #2, Forsberg at #4, and dropping Griffin Reinhart far from where he was usually ranked.

Of course there are always misses as well but good scouts learn from their mistakes. I have yet to see any scout being perfect when it comes to prospects. If anyone can find that type of rankings that look perfect after 7-8 years, I'd love to see them.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Denver lost tonight and they're out so we might see Borgstrom in a Panthers uniform next week.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
    Now that DU season is over, Henrik Borgstrom is expected to turn pro and sign a three-year, entry-level deal with FLA in the next day or two or three. FLA obviously wants him ASAP; player looks to be NHL ready.
    DYNASTY Cap(127M) 12 Team
    G, A, PIM(.1), positive +/- D only, W(2), SO(2), OTL(1)
    23 + 4 IR + 7 prospects (locked in for season if under 200 GP)
    Start: 11F, 5D, 2G - 82 games each slot

F: Crosby, Malkin, Aho, Rantanen, Batherson, Boldy, Kempe, Pavelski, Duchene, Hagel, Frost [Duclair, Farabee, Jenner]
    D: Fox, Karlsson, Hamilton, Letang, Montour
    IR:
    G: Sorokin, Kuemper[Husso, Kochetkov]

P: Stankoven, Tomasino, Vilardi, Sanderson, York, Zellweger, Wahlstrom
    Roster Cap Breakdown

DYNASTY Cap (110M) 12 Team 2
    G, A, PIM(.1), Positive +/- D only(0.5), Hattie(3), W(2), SO(3), OTL(1)
    League & Roster Info

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Some very good findings from him there like having Couturier #2, Forsberg at #4, and dropping Griffin Reinhart far from where he was usually ranked.

Of course there are always misses as well but good scouts learn from their mistakes. I have yet to see any scout being perfect when it comes to prospects. If anyone can find that type of rankings that look perfect after 7-8 years, I'd love to see them.
    Also good findings: Kucherov at #19, Grimaldi at #10, Rattie at #21, Scheifele at #29, Trocheck at #63 J.Gibson at #95..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Also good findings: Kucherov at #19, Grimaldi at #10, Rattie at #21, Scheifele at #29, Trocheck at #63 J.Gibson at #95..
    How high was Kucherov drafted? 58th overall? Isn't 19th overall better than 58th overall? I'm confused. Are you saying every NHL team should fire their scouting department because they didn't draft Kucherov earlier?