Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeper advice: Who to keep/trade

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Keeper advice: Who to keep/trade

KEEPER LIST UPDATED in post #10

We can keep up to 12 guys for 1 round higher than drafted. Number beside them is the round I'd have to give up. I've held some of these guys a few years which is why I have some steals.

Trade deadline is March 1, I'm locked in to first out of 10.

Can only keep 12 of the 16 listed below. The guys in the same round can both be kept using the next highest pick or if I trade for another pick in that round.
    Mackinnon, C 6
    Klingberg, D 8
    Matt Murray, G 8
    Eichel, C 9
    Point, C, RW, 10
    Fredrik Andersen, G 12
    Huberdeau, LW 13
    Nylander, C, RW, 14
    Scheifele, C, 16
    Panarin, C, LW, 16
    Arvidsson, LW, RW 17
    Barkov, C, 19
    Kuznetsov, C, 19
    Marchessault, C, LW, 20
    Rantanen, LW, RW, 21
    Hellebyuck, G, 22

I did not write my whole roster as I'm asking more for keeper value for next year.

Positions: 3C, 2LW, 2RW, 2F, 5D, 2G, 8BN, 2 IR+
    Scoring: G:3.5, A:2.5, +/-: 1, PPP:1, SHP:1.25, SOG:0.25, HIT:0.2, BLK: 0.2. W:4, L:-2, GA: -1, SV:0.2, SHO: 3.

As of now I'm trying to trade a couple guys for non-keeper studs and try to add picks, but can't do anything too drastic since I'm making a push this year. Will probably try to trade keepers in the offseason or just throw guys back so other teams don't have as good of keepers going forward.

Appreciate any input. Thanks!
    Last edited by tww9; May 22, 2018 at 11:55 AM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Keeper advice: Who to keep/trade

Mackinnon, C 6
    Klingberg, D 8
    Eichel, C 9
    Fredrik Andersen, G 12
    Huberdeau, LW 13
    Scheifele, C, 16
    Panarin, C, LW, 16
    Barkov, C, 19
    Kuznetsov, C, 19
    Marchessault, C, LW, 20
    Rantanen, LW, RW, 21
    Hellebyuck, G, 22
    13 Team Keeper (keep 6), Weekly H2H, Dress 6 F, 4 D, 2 G's. 1G, 1A, GW2 SO2

F: Tavares, Eichel, Hall, Schenn, Arvidson, Miller, Bertuzzi
    D: Karlsson, Pionk, Hronek, Trouba, Schmidt
    Goalies: Dubnyk, Bishop,Griess

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Best trade chit:
    Matt Murray, G 8 - I think he's got value to somebody as a keeper. Not you, as he's your 3rd best goalie option.

Others to deal or drop:
    Nylander, C, RW, 14
    Arvidsson, LW, RW 17

That leaves you dropping.trading one of these guys below, and I'd shop some of the higher draft round guys here to see what they can bring back, but not Klingberg.

Mackinnon, C 6
    Klingberg, D 8
    Eichel, C 9
    Point, C, RW, 10
    Fredrik Andersen, G 12
    Huberdeau, LW 13
    Scheifele, C, 16
    Panarin, C, LW, 16
    Barkov, C, 19
    Kuznetsov, C, 19
    Marchessault, C, LW, 20
    Rantanen, LW, RW, 21
    Hellebyuck, G, 22
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for the replies!

I was also leaning towards Murray, Arvidsson and Nylander, so your responses further solidify that. I think Point is the next to go, but I've really liked him this year. I think he drives offense regardless who he's playing with.

One guy has Barzal who can be kept for a 23. Might try to make a deal to snag him. Maybe Nylander and Point for Barzal.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd say the next guy to go is panarin. I'd rather have point imo
    10 Team Keeper (5)
    Head-to-Head
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FW, HIT, BLK
    3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 GOALIE

C: Barzal, Mcdavid, J. Staal, Mackinnon, Matthews,

LW: Guentzal, Lee, J.T Miller, Rakell

RW: Point, Nylander, Perron, Marner, Laine

D: Carlson, Hedman, Petry, Byfuglien, McAvoy

G: M. Jones, Price

Dobber Sports Novice

Update:

Just made a big trade.

Received: John Tavares, Patrick Kane, Ryan Suter, MA Fleury, picks 3, 6, 12, 16, 19

Gave up: Arvidsson, William Nylander, Shea Theodore, Matt Murray, picks 7, 11, 14, 17, 18

Fleury is the only player I received as a potential keeper (can keep for round 12).

So keeper situation somewhat resolved, but still have 2 too many. From my original list, take out the 3 I traded and add in Fleury as an option. I'll prob try to flip Fleury at the end of the year since I'm not confident Vegas will be as good next year or that Fleury will be their starter.

Tempted to try to trade for Barzal (23) or Rackell (18). Barzal is another center without dual eligibility, so don't really want to keep 6 C's.

I like the deal a lot, but wouldn't keep Fleury at that cost.

You got better now, and upgraded picks and didn't hurt keepers ( in my opinion)
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I like the deal a lot, but wouldn't keep Fleury at that cost.

You got better now, and upgraded picks and didn't hurt keepers ( in my opinion)
    Thanks. Yeah, exactly. I will likely try to trade Fleury for a pick after the season. Figured he'll be better than an injured Murray. I picked up DeSmith in the meantime too, so might get the best of both worlds.

Any thoughts on Rakell long term? His keeper cost is an 18th and has triple eligibility. Will he be an above average star or just average?

Vasilevskiy has a cost of 15. Debating sending an offer he can't refuse so I don't even have to worry about drafting goalies for the next 5+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by tww9 View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, exactly. I will likely try to trade Fleury for a pick after the season. Figured he'll be better than an injured Murray. I picked up DeSmith in the meantime too, so might get the best of both worlds.

Any thoughts on Rakell long term? His keeper cost is an 18th and has triple eligibility. Will he be an above average star or just average?

Vasilevskiy has a cost of 15. Debating sending an offer he can't refuse so I don't even have to worry about drafting goalies for the next 5+ years.
    Rakell seems above average to me, but not quite a star.

In that offer for Vas, make sure to include the cannoli.

Dobber Sports Novice

A few months have passed and the keeper deadline is coming up soon. Here's the updated keeper contenders. Still need to cut or trade 2 from the list below.

Some of the borderline keepers have had stellar playoff showings (Point and Fleury), so things got a little murky again. In addition to those two, thinking Huberdeau might also be on the bubble.

Mackinnon, C 6
    Klingberg, D 8
    Eichel, C 9
    Point, C, RW, 10
    Fredrik Andersen, G 12
    MA fleury, G, 12
    Huberdeau, LW 13
    Scheifele, C, 16
    Panarin, C, LW, 16
    Barkov, C, 19
    Kuznetsov, C, 19
    Marchessault, C, LW, 20
    Rantanen, LW, RW, 21
    Hellebyuck, G, 22

Appreciate any opinions. Thanks

This is Marc-Andre Fleury's career year for rate stats, other than shutout rate. He's very likely to win the Conn Smythe, even if they don't win the Cup, and that rarely happens. There's no way I want to keep him at 12 over Andersen, especially in league that counts saves. He's the goalie you trade.

The other guy somewhat depends on your return for Fleury, positions matter somewhat, and it depends on whom gets you what kind of return. I'd really want to get a defender back, if I were you, and you can send Fleury with a forward to make that happen.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by tww9 View Post
    A few months have passed and the keeper deadline is coming up soon. Here's the updated keeper contenders. Still need to cut or trade 2 from the list below.

Some of the borderline keepers have had stellar playoff showings (Point and Fleury), so things got a little murky again. In addition to those two, thinking Huberdeau might also be on the bubble.

Mackinnon, C 6
    Klingberg, D 8
    Eichel, C 9
    Point, C, RW, 10
    Fredrik Andersen, G 12
    MA fleury, G, 12
    Huberdeau, LW 13
    Scheifele, C, 16
    Panarin, C, LW, 16
    Barkov, C, 19
    Kuznetsov, C, 19
    Marchessault, C, LW, 20
    Rantanen, LW, RW, 21
    Hellebyuck, G, 22

Appreciate any opinions. Thanks
    I try to trade Fleury (because I keep Andersen in round 12 and Hellebuyck in round 22).

Otherwise, it's really hard to evaluate that list without seeing how many points each guy got in your format last year. I'm not doing all that math!!!

But at first glance, I'd be looking to move Marchessault (because I just don't see him at the level as other guys on your list, and he's round number isn't that far off). I'd probably also look to move Point, because - again - relative to the round...I don't see him as significantly stronger than guys from much lower rounds. But again, this is based on eyeball and without benefit of seeing the data specific to your league. Might be helpful to post point totals for others.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I try to trade Fleury (because I keep Andersen in round 12 and Hellebuyck in round 22).

Otherwise, it's really hard to evaluate that list without seeing how many points each guy got in your format last year. I'm not doing all that math!!!

But at first glance, I'd be looking to move Marchessault (because I just don't see him at the level as other guys on your list, and he's round number isn't that far off). I'd probably also look to move Point, because - again - relative to the round...I don't see him as significantly stronger than guys from much lower rounds. But again, this is based on eyeball and without benefit of seeing the data specific to your league. Might be helpful to post point totals for others.
    we view marchessault differently. I would take him over Panarin & Hubs
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Novice

Here are their fantasy points in my league for the 17-18 season.

Mackinnon, C 6 - 408.75 pts
    Klingberg, D 8 - 290.1
    Eichel, C 9 - 261.4
    Point, C, RW, 10 - 303.1
    Fredrik Andersen, G 12 - 348.8
    MA fleury, G, 12 - 257.2
    Huberdeau, LW 13 - 284.1
    Scheifele, C, 16 - 260.6
    Panarin, C, LW, 16 - 339.8
    Barkov, C, 19 - 337.65
    Kuznetsov, C, 19 - 330.7
    Marchessault, C, LW, 20 - 358.5
    Rantanen, LW, RW, 21 - 332.9
    Hellebyuck, G, 22 - 394.4

I also end up holding 3-4 goalies all year even though we start 2 so keeping Fleury would not mean I have to throw back Andersen or Hellebyuck. It's daily changes, no games played limit, 2 adds per week.

A couple other options I have on my team but I didn't list at Saros for 21 Rd, Mittelstadt for 18 or John Carlson for 5. In this league, most of the high end defense are high round guys that get thrown back or kept. I don't find there are any amazing D keeper values that I would really want to trade for. The best are Rielly 18, Trouba 21, Provorov 21, Ristolainen 16, Gostisbehere 15, Suter 14. I usually just use my picks around rounds 2-7 and get a hand full of guys like Josi, Gio, Carlson, Krug, etc.

Thinking of targeting Pastrnak (18) and possibly Vasilevsky (14) in 2 or even 3 for 1 trades and hopefully upgrade a few picks too.

Dobber Sports Pro

From that new list, I'd drop Point and Fleury. Honestly now is probably the perfect time to trade them away for pick upgrades!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin