Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prospect offer

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Prospect offer

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Yeah, well, I'm not sure how many of Borgstrom's games you've watched this season but he's such a dynamic offensive player and has all the tools to become a legit #1 center with high offensive totals, and I just don't see those kind of traits in Jost's game.
    I have not watched any of Borgstrom's games this year but the full time NHL amateur scout that I spoke to this evening said Jost has higher upside.

Jost had 118 points in 59 games in the BCHL as a 17 year old. Borgstrom had 61 points in 44 games in the Finnish Jr league as an 18 year old.
    Jost holds the record for most points in a single Ivan Hlinka tournament with 15 points in 7 games. Borgstrom did not play in the tournament.
    Jost had 35 points in 33 games in the NCAA as an 18 year old. Borgstrom had 43 points in 37 games as a 19 year old.
    Jost had 3 goals and 1 assist in 7 games at the World Jrs as an 18 year old. Borgstrom had 0 points in 6 games as a 19 year old.

Who has the higher offensive ability again?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I have not watched any of Borgstrom's games this year but the full time NHL amateur scout that I spoke to this evening said Jost has higher upside.

Jost had 118 points in 59 games in the BCHL as a 17 year old. Borgstrom had 61 points in 44 games in the Finnish Jr league as an 18 year old.
    Jost holds the record for most points in a single Ivan Hlinka tournament with 15 points in 7 games. Borgstrom did not play in the tournament.
    Jost had 35 points in 33 games in the NCAA as an 18 year old. Borgstrom had 43 points in 37 games as a 19 year old.
    Jost had 3 goals and 1 assist in 7 games at the World Jrs as an 18 year old. Borgstrom had 0 points in 6 games as a 19 year old.

Borgstrom is a late bloomer, that's a well-known fact. He went undrafted and then got drafted in the 1st round - that's rare. I prefer the eye test in this case - numbers don't always tell the whole story. They're a good starting point but not conclusive.

If you went with just numbers, I guess a guy like Heponiemi would have more offensive ability than Zadina.

For what it's worth, Corey Pronman at The Athletic had Borgstrom #5 in his Top 50 prospect ranking, ahead of players like Pettersson, Kaprizov, Thomas, Chytil, Makar etc.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

This part is not correct. It was the U18 tournament where he put up the best numbers for a Canadian player at that tournament. Not the most points by all players.

Taking nothing away from the point you made generally. I agree with you that the numbers point in one direction, for whatever that's worth.