Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: [Trade] Brassard to Pittsburgh

The Great One

Default Re: [Trade] Brassard to Pittsburgh

I'm surprised it took them this long to find a loophole like this. Three way trade where both teams tetian salary is nuts. I wonder if this is gonna a new thing. Would actually help the bottom teams even more and we all know how much Bettman and the NHL love parity.

Dobber Sports Guru

Here is the trade as being reported on Twitter:

To PIT:
    C Derick Brassard
    F Vincent Dunn
    F Tobias Lindberg
    2018 3rd RD pick (OTT)

To VGK:
    RW Ryan Reaves
    2018 4th RD pick (VAN via PIT)
    Retain 40% of Brassard cap hit

To OTT:
    2018 1st RD pick (PIT)
    2019 3rd RD pick (PIT)
    D Ian Cole
    G Filip Gustavsson

I am confused as to why Vegas did this deal. All they are getting is Reaves and a fourth rounder.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

To PIT:
    C Derick Brassard
    F Vincent Dunn
    F Tobias Lindberg
    2018 3rd RD pick (OTT)

To VGK:
    RW Ryan Reaves

To OTT:
    2018 1st RD pick (PIT)
    2019 3rd RD pick (PIT)
    D Ian Cole
    G Filip Gustavsson

I am confused as to why Vegas did this deal. All they are getting is Reaves and a fourth rounder.
    Reaves and a 4th rounder for nothing isnt a bad deal. All they had to put in was cap hit space, which they have tons of.

Administrator

I agree, this does nothing for Vegas.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Does Reaves actually play for Vegas though?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Vegas retains 40 percent of the cap hit and 40 percent of the salary. That's $1.4 million salary for next year, and whatever is left this year. Seems like a lot of cash to buy a 4th round pick.

Dobber Sports Guru

The rumour on Twitter is that Brassard was going to Winnipeg, but the Knights wanted to keep Brassard in the east so their competition wouldn't get better. That's why they got involved. But unless they plan on doing this for every player that is going to be traded, it really won't make any difference.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Pro

Maybe Vegas wanted some muscle since they are playoff bound now? i dunno....this is a strange deal, tho I think every team comes away happy.
    Ottawa gets the 1st they coveted, and Cole will be flipped for another pick.
    Pens get there depth at Center they've missed since Bonino left.
    Vegas gets a 4th rnd pick and the toughest fighter in the leager(whatever that counts for now) all for some $ they can afford to spend.

Im excited for Monday!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I don't get this at all for the VGK's?? If you have so much cap space then use your cap space by signing a actual good player, not named ryan reaves..

I can't see them doing this to screw over the Jets.. It would have been really funny if they had have just kept Brassard and flipped the Penguins the bird..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Administrator

Couldn't Vegas just throw themselves in the mix to land Brassard if they wanted to block the Jets?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Brassard can do many things, but playing defense is not his forte. I guess he can do what is asked of him but defense is not how he punched his ticket to the NHL.

I don't like the return Ottawa got, but will wait until what they get for Cole before giving them a grade.

I believe Ottawa would take the Brassard-Zibanejad deal back if they could right now yeah ?

I don't see the logic in Vegas taking on salary for a 4th round pick and Reaves ? So lets see if Reaves isn't dealt again.

Pittsburgh made out like bandits IMHO. They get a top 6 centerman they can plus onto the 3rd line with cap relief for the cost of a goalie prospect they don't need and a late first rounder & 2019 3rd. Rutherford is spinning gold right now
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Couldn't Vegas just throw themselves in the mix to land Brassard if they wanted to block the Jets?
    I don't think they want to mess with their chemistry. My guess is a fourth liner is okay, but anything above that might mess up what they have.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

To PIT:
    C Derick Brassard
    F Vincent Dunn
    F Tobias Lindberg
    2018 3rd RD pick (OTT)

To VGK:
    RW Ryan Reaves

To OTT:
    2018 1st RD pick (PIT)
    2019 3rd RD pick (PIT)
    D Ian Cole
    G Filip Gustavsson

but did they give up anything? They are retaining salary. But that is only money... and Vegas has probably more than they expected after how well they have done
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I don't understand how everyone can't see what Vegas gets out of this. Take the following fantasy deal:

Team A gives: 4th round pick, a deep depth player
    Team B gives: A waiver move in a limited waiver move league.

Who is NOT taking the pick & player? That's what this deal is - a pick and a situationally useful player for something you have a surplus of, that doesn't last past the season, and you aren't going to use up.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I like what Vegas has done here:

They've minimised the chance they see Brassard in the playoffs by keeping him in the East.

They gain a 4th Round lottery ticket.

They add a big bruising lad in Reaves who doesn't fit into their Regular Season plans, but in the playoffs, when the refs unanimously swallow their whistles? Well, having a policeman to keep their smallish guys like Marchessault safe isn't a bad idea necessarily. If he doesn't work? No harm done. He's not a necessity, hopefully. But he's a real "nice to have".

And all it cost them was a bit of money?

They're like the anti-Melnyk. They'll pay cash to maximise success, rather than the exact opposite.

This doesn't redeem McPhee for Forsberg-for-Erat by any means, but it's a clever play.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!