Thread: Draft pick values

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Draft pick values

20 team multi cat salary keeper league in signature. 30 slot prospect/minors system. 3 round prospect draft. One pick per round per team.

My question is what is the general rule of thumb or rate for draft pick trades?

I own two 1st, one 2nd, and five 3rd round picks via trades.
    Picks based on current standings:

I want to move some of the 3rd round picks. Advice on values and trades?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Draft pick values

With 20 teams, I would be wanting as many first round picks as I could get. How promising can the prospects picked in the third round really be? It would need to be a tremendously deep farm system, and this would need to be the first year of your prospect draft (so guys from previous drafts are still available) to make me think that third round picks would have any value.

How big is your farm? Or, do you not have a farm, and just keep all the guys on your roster?

Either way, I think that I would trade most, if not all, of my 2nd and 3rd round picks for two more 1st round picks, if I could.

Again, a few more details might help with answering this question.

It's a 30 player minors system

Dobber Sports Titan

Every league is different. The best way to not get taken advantage of: look through your league's trade history, and get a sense of what players and picks have value, relative to each other. That should give you a better starting point than anything can tell you from here.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by scdakotart2000 View Post
    20 team multi cat salary keeper league in signature. 30 slot prospect/minors system. 3 round prospect draft. One pick per round per team.

My question is what is the general rule of thumb or rate for draft pick trades?

I own two 1st, one 2nd, and five 3rd round picks via trades.
    Picks based on current standings:

I want to move some of the 3rd round picks. Advice on values and trades?
    Updated minors roster size and projected picks in original post.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Every league is different. The best way to not get taken advantage of: look through your league's trade history, and get a sense of what players and picks have value, relative to each other. That should give you a better starting point than anything can tell you from here.
    EB has hit it right on the head. Format, roster size, and draft eligible players vary widley from league to league. Best judge of value is the transaction history of the league. That being said a 30 players minors system is deep, giving late round picks a bit more value. In my 20 team league with 18 minors spots there where still decent picks to be had late in the 4th and 5th round. It can really boil down to how much time and research you want to put into finding a diamond in the rough. I rarely trade two 3rd rounders for a 2nd unless there's a target I feel warrants it. better odds of hitting one of two prospects than grabbing just one 20 picks earlier. Just my thoughts on it. Also nice to have those late round picks as trade sweetners.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bstbullies View Post
    EB has hit it right on the head. Format, roster size, and draft eligible players vary widley from league to league. Best judge of value is the transaction history of the league. That being said a 30 players minors system is deep, giving late round picks a bit more value. In my 20 team league with 18 minors spots there where still decent picks to be had late in the 4th and 5th round. It can really boil down to how much time and research you want to put into finding a diamond in the rough. I rarely trade two 3rd rounders for a 2nd unless there's a target I feel warrants it. better odds of hitting one of two prospects than grabbing just one 20 picks earlier. Just my thoughts on it. Also nice to have those late round picks as trade sweetners.
    Yeah. This was my line of thinking as well. Figured I would just verify. Looks like there was a lot of trading at last year's draft.
    20tm multicat salary keeper
    19 Active/6 Reserve/ 33 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3SKT/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/A/PlusMinus/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/Hit/Blk/FOW/FO%
    Goalies: W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO