Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Trade] Darcy Kuemper to Arizona

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: [Trade] Darcy Kuemper to Arizona

Pretty good trade for both teams in my opinion. I do have to think that Arizona thinks they won't be able to re-sign Raanta or that he's priced himself above what they're willing to pay him based on his play this year. That being said theres only a handful of teams that a Raanta trade could make sense because of their current goalie issues. I'll rank the teams based on how big a need they have to upgrade their goalie depth (my opinion):

1.NY Islanders: They're a high scoring team on the playoff bubble and have had inconsistent goaltending all year... and greiss was just placed on IR. They need to show Tavares they're trying to improve the club.
    2.Ottawa: With Anderson having an awful season, being almost 37yrs old and sens not having much in goalie prospects, they may look to nab him for their present/future.
    3.Edmonton: After the abysmal season they've had and the struggles Talbot has had allowing early goals in games often he may have lost the trust of management.
    4.Chicago: Crawford's a star but being 33 with injury issues and a big contract on a team at the cap, maybe they look to reunite with the much younger/cheaper Raanta.
    5.Buffalo: Lehner has showed flashes of strong play but very much inconsistent. When they signed him to a 1 year contract last summer after posting a .920sv% it seems like they weren't overly confident in him as a long term solution. They do have Linus Omark and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen in the system.
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I agree with you about Rieder but I'd say Kuemper is better than Wedgewood and has some upside. Unlikely, but it's there.
    For sure. We're on the same page. Reider had more value than that, and Kuemper is better than Wedgewood.
    I guess my main sticking point here is that the upgrade from Wedgewood to Kuemper wasn't worth Reider, both based on talent disparity, and organizational need.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    For sure. We're on the same page. Reider had more value than that, and Kuemper is better than Wedgewood.
    I guess my main sticking point here is that the upgrade from Wedgewood to Kuemper wasn't worth Reider, both based on talent disparity, and organizational need.
    I'm more in the "meh" category. They improved in one area and took a step backwards in another. It'll all depend on what they do this summer. Lots of players move around in the offseason.

Same shit, different pile.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Some great thoughts here. I've posted my fantasy impact of the trade:

https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home...and-wedgewood/
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Does Rieder vacating Arizona leave the door wide open for Dylan Strome to finally come in and take a roster spot?
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkys_Choice View Post
    Does Rieder vacating Arizona leave the door wide open for Dylan Strome to finally come in and take a roster spot?
    I doubt it. An extra forward spot may create an opportunity but they play a different position and Dylan is still held back by the Strome family skating gene as far as I know.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Eklund is spouting off that NYI are kicking tires hard on Raanta which is what precipitated this move. I see it as more of a move to solidify their goaltending. Raanta's been really decent this year all things considered with that team. I think they resign him Chayka hasn't been looking for just kids to fill his line up. still not sure he's got a full plan for this team
    But is it an e5 rumor?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Hard to predict at this point. Would make complete sense if Raanta was moved at the deadline or at the end of the year. Makes less sense if Raanta stays.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Demi-God

For me, this trade establishes enough pattern to get a read on Chayka.
    I think he has witnessed several goalies flourish in the right setting over the past two years.
    Look at Dubnyk in MIN, Darling in CHI, or Dell in SJ, or Talbot in NYR (and his first years in EDM), now Hutton in STL.
    These are all 25-30yr old "back-up" goalies. (*Hutton just turned 32.)

I've long argued that goalies play well in Arizona because of the "no pressure" atmosphere there.
    Watching Chayka cycle in goalies suggests he believes that eventually one goalie will settle in and play well in this environment, he just needs to find that guy...
    Domingue(25), Wedgewood(25), Raanta(28), Kuemper(27). All within that 25-30yr range.
    Throw some poop at the wall and see if any sticks.
    Eventually, some will. And when that happens, its like hitting the right penny stock and that's the only one the investor will always reference!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    For me, this trade establishes enough pattern to get a read on Chayka.
    I think he has witnessed several goalies flourish in the right setting over the past two years.
    Look at Dubnyk in MIN, Darling in CHI, or Dell in SJ, or Talbot in NYR (and his first years in EDM), now Hutton in STL.
    These are all 25-30yr old "back-up" goalies. (*Hutton just turned 32.)

I've long argued that goalies play well in Arizona because of the "no pressure" atmosphere there.
    Watching Chayka cycle in goalies suggests he believes that eventually one goalie will settle in and play well in this environment, he just needs to find that guy...
    Domingue(25), Wedgewood(25), Raanta(28), Kuemper(27). All within that 25-30yr range.
    Throw some poop at the wall and see if any sticks.
    Eventually, some will. And when that happens, its like hitting the right penny stock and that's the only one the investor will always reference!
    With goalies this makes a ton of sense for a team to do. Don't really go painstakingly hunting for "the guy", if you try it enough eventually one will work. Just the big thing is reputation of not giving a goalie a chance may set in and goalies (maybe players) will take that to heart in FA, but that's way down the road for this team.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

It's all fine to aim to bring in goalies that fit in their low-pressure environment. I'd have higher goals if I were GM. I wouldn't want my team to be an afterthought. I'd be trying to turn my team into one that is taken seriously which in turn puts more pressure on the goalies to perform. I'm just not wired for loser town.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Could any goalie play better on the Coyotes than Raanta has this year? 2.45 GAA and .924 save% is great for a goalie on any team. On this team that has been basically a stink fest for most of the year... it is deserving of a medal or something.

I think Chayka found "that guy" already. The real questions are whether that guy is willing to stay in AZ, and whether AZ is willing to make it happen financially.

Edit, as a reference point:
    Jonathan Quick 2.48 GAA .921 Save%
    Mike Smith 2.53 GAA .921 save%
    Frederick Andersen 2.66 GAA .923 Save%
    Connor Hellebuyck 2.37 GAA .922 Save%

Dobber Sports Wizard

And now LA has put Wedgewood on waivers which means they're going with Jack Campbell as their backup. I guess Wedgewood was just a contract dump.

Administrator

Essentially Quick will be playing just about every game moving forward.