Thread: Trading Letang for First rounder

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Trading Letang for First rounder

Team in sig.
    It looks like I will hold onto my first-round bye. That said, I'm very interested in trading Letang away before my trading deadline tomorrow, for a few reasons. I traded a bunch of high picks for help this year so it's an opportunity to recoup a first round pick (my highest pick is a 5th rounder).

Our playoffs begin 3/5, semifinals 3/12, and one-week final 3/19. With a bye, I would play semi-finals as my first round but PIT only play two games that week. I have Crosby, Guentzel, Letang and have an offer to trade:

Letang/Eberle/6th rounder
    for
    Henrique/1rst round pick.

In a multi-cat league, Letang has a lot of value, Eberle not as much. But schedule-wise I could add a solid d-man off waivers to help out that week (plus I already have quality d-men). Getting a first round pick back for him would be a steal, IMO. It might hurt a bit now, but I think I can overcome it.

Am I crazy? Or just the right amount?
    12 team H2H Keep-6
    G/A/PPP/GWG/PIM/SOG/HIT/BLK
    W/TotalSaves/GAA/SHO
    3C/3LW/3RW/5Def/1UTIL/1G

C: Crosby, Kopitar, McCann
    LW: Marchand, R. Rakell, A. Lee, T. Meier
    RW: Wheeler, K. Palmieri, A. Shaw, Aston-Reese
    D: Klingberg, D. Nurse, J. Trouba, A. Larsson, Klefbom, Schultz
    G: Ben Bishop, Jakob Markstrom, M. Smith
    IR:
    Byfuglien, Pastrnak, Karlsson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Trading Letang for First rounder

This trade really hurts you now. It helps later, but if you're getting a first round bye, you should definitely be in win NOW mode. I don't like the argument that you could "overcome" moving a guy like Letang. I've been in that situation too many times and more than once seen my team I thought was unstoppable get upset because a few of my studs had a bad week all at the same time. Moving Letang is just putting a hole in your safety net.

If you're set on moving Letang, move him for someone who's going to solidify your shot at a championship this season, not Adam Henrique.

You said it yourself, Letang has a lot of value in a multi-cat league, and he's also a Top 30 player over the last 2 weeks (#4 last week in my league) and on a Penguins team that isn't slowing down.
    10 Teams, Keep 15

H2H Categories: G, A, PPP, Hits, Blks, SOG -- W, GAA, SV%, SVs

3C - MacKinnon, Barkov, Vilardi (RW), Bennett, W Johnston
    3LW - Fiala, Jenner, Byfield, Raymond
    3RW - Miller, Jarvis, Kyrou, Debrusk
    5D - Fox, Q Hughes, Matheson, Letang
    2F

2G (max 4) - Vasilevskiy, Woll, Samsonov

8 Farm - L Hughes, M Knies, M Michkov, Z Benson, F Nazar, M Savoie, Annunen (G)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PittPens1787 View Post
    This trade really hurts you now. It helps later, but if you're getting a first round bye, you should definitely be in win NOW mode. I don't like the argument that you could "overcome" moving a guy like Letang. I've been in that situation too many times and more than once seen my team I thought was unstoppable get upset because a few of my studs had a bad week all at the same time. Moving Letang is just putting a hole in your safety net.

If you're set on moving Letang, move him for someone who's going to solidify your shot at a championship this season, not Adam Henrique.

You said it yourself, Letang has a lot of value in a multi-cat league, and he's also a Top 30 player over the last 2 weeks (#4 last week in my league) and on a Penguins team that isn't slowing down.

I agree, with a first round bye you should be in win-now mode. The fact that you don't have any picks in the first 4 rounds is probably because you decided to acquire players with those picks to help you this year so why take a step back?
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I get it. That's a big reason why I still have Letang in the first place, despite the injury concerns. But he only plays two games in my first round of the playoffs (semi-finals)? I am in win-now mode but it's a balancing act.
    12 team H2H Keep-6
    W/TotalSaves/GAA/SHO
    3C/3LW/3RW/5Def/1UTIL/1G

IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by PittPens1787 View Post

You may have talked me into keeping him for now. You're right, I made the moves I did to get where I am now, not to take a step back on the cusp of playoffs. Just scared of Letang's two games in semifinal week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    I agree, with a first round bye you should be in win-now mode. The fact that you don't have any picks in the first 4 rounds is probably because you decided to acquire players with those picks to help you this year so why take a step back?
    This is accurate.
    12 team H2H Keep-6
    W/TotalSaves/GAA/SHO
    3C/3LW/3RW/5Def/1UTIL/1G

IR:

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by estarr31 View Post
    You may have talked me into keeping him for now. You're right, I made the moves I did to get where I am now, not to take a step back on the cusp of playoffs. Just scared of Letang's two games in semifinal week.
    Yeah and that's a fair worry to have, especially with a few other Penguins on your roster. I wouldn't advise against moving Letang for a similar player with a better playoff schedule, just wouldn't move him for a large downgrade this season.
    10 Teams, Keep 15

H2H Categories: G, A, PPP, Hits, Blks, SOG -- W, GAA, SV%, SVs

3C - MacKinnon, Barkov, Vilardi (RW), Bennett, W Johnston
    3LW - Fiala, Jenner, Byfield, Raymond
    3RW - Miller, Jarvis, Kyrou, Debrusk
    5D - Fox, Q Hughes, Matheson, Letang
    2F

2G (max 4) - Vasilevskiy, Woll, Samsonov

8 Farm - L Hughes, M Knies, M Michkov, Z Benson, F Nazar, M Savoie, Annunen (G)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Letang is a proverbial ticking time bomb. He may not be healthy for your playoffs. I'd bet he won't be. He's a guy you get the value for, while you can.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Martin5150 View Post
    Letang is a proverbial ticking time bomb. He may not be healthy for your playoffs. I'd bet he won't be. He's a guy you get the value for, while you can.
    This was my thinking but I ended up passing on the offer. Deadline passed last night. It would be traded to the 3rd place team that I could still face in the playoffs. Didn't want to help him and it would have been hard for me to replace him since I wasn't getting much back in the deal and I'm win-now mode right now.
    Thanks for the reply though.
    12 team H2H Keep-6
    W/TotalSaves/GAA/SHO
    3C/3LW/3RW/5Def/1UTIL/1G

IR: