Thread: Opportunity to get Giroux (will Rep)

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Opportunity to get Giroux (will Rep)

I just clinched a playoff spot (currently in 1st in my league) and the last place team just announced he is entering a full rebuild. Giroux is one of the guys he put on his trading block. I asked what he's looking for in general and he said "I'd say youth, primarily (or draft picks I guess). On the goalie front, regular starters. Beyond Crawford, who becomes a big question mark with post-concussion syndrome, I'm a mess there. I'm starting a true rebuild haha."

I can't really help at goal, but given my roster (Aho, Landeskog, W Karlsson, and Kucherov are my only players 25 or under) and my draft picks (I have all 9 for next year, plus an additional 1st Rounder), what would be a fair offer that doesn't set me back for the playoffs? Is Aho (20 years old), Landeskog or W Karlsson (both 25 years old), & a high draft pick (round 2 or 3) in the ballpark?
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Opportunity to get Giroux (will Rep)

I feel like it would take 2 of those guys and a high pick... not sure the other owner would go for it. W. Karlsson probably has more value for you to hang onto down the stretch than he would have in a trade, too. He just doesn't have the name recognition where people will be willing to trade IMO.

Maybe put Talbot in the conversation, and get yourself a goalie that's performing better right now?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As a Giroux owner, I wouldn't even consider that offer. Sorry. All three of those players are fringe in a 12 team league, you could do just as well on the WW.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    Maybe put Talbot in the conversation, and get yourself a goalie that's performing better right now?
    Unfortunately, I can't include Talbot. His goalies are Crawford, Forsberg, Lehner and Darling. Replacing Talbot with one of them would really kill my team.
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)

IR - Hill(G)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by hank mooney View Post
    As a Giroux owner, I wouldn't even consider that offer. Sorry. All three of those players are fringe in a 12 team league, you could do just as well on the WW.
    Thank you, this is the kind of advice I was really looking for (even though it's not what I want to hear). I don't want to throw out an insulting offer if my team just doesn't have what it would take to land a trade, but I'm too close to my team that getting outside advice is really helpful.
    Scoring:

IR - Hill(G)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    Thank you, this is the kind of advice I was really looking for (even though it's not what I want to hear). I don't want to throw out an insulting offer if my team just doesn't have what it would take to land a trade, but I'm too close to my team that getting outside advice is really helpful.
    I wouldn't say that's an insulting offer, but I agree it's probably not enough to get it done. Last year Talbot was looking like he was on his way to the top, while Giroux was on his what, 100th season in decline? Giroux owners think they have the Giroux of old on their hands, while you should probably be paying for someone between last year's Giroux and this year's. Might be enough to get the conversation started, and depending on the type of rebuild he's envisioning, picks might be pretty enticing if he's already looking ahead to the draft.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Padawan

Giroux was dropped in 2 of my limited keeper leagues last summer, in both leagues he was drafted in the first round. Its best to consider last year as the exception, and now Giroux is looking like his old self on a team which is rounding into form with tons of great prospects.

I don't think I'd be giving him up for even a combination of the players / picks you have named.