Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd grade baseball team raffling off AR-15 in Missouri.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default 3rd grade baseball team raffling off AR-15 in Missouri.

I found this article on MSN this morning. Wow. I think it speaks for itself.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...=mailsignoutmd

"Third-graders in a Missouri community are continuing to sell raffle tickets for an AR-15 to benefit their traveling baseball team after the same type of rifle was used to slaughter and injure dozens at a Florida school.

Levi Patterson, the coach of a 9-and-under baseball team in Neosho, Mo., told The Star the idea was conceived before the shooting in Parkland, Fla."

Jimmy Kimmel articulates the craziness better than anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0vLiQLpsc8

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: 3rd grade baseball team raffling off AR-15 in Missouri.

'Murica
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Icon

I commend the kids who have been speaking out in the past few days, but they are young and naive. They feel the pain and see the logic in restricting firearms, but they are under the impression that everyone else also has that element of humanity within them. They do not, and this illustrates that fact vividly.

Their answer to mass shooting is more guns, that won't change.

Nice thought, though. Add it to that big old heap of thoughts and prayers, everybody's doing it. What else can be done? Just shake your head and move along.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Star

Sadly, until they take away the guns, these events will continue regularly in the US. People would rather children be murdered rather than give up their guns, and the NRA wields tremondous power. Hope it’s worth it; thirty or forty thousand deaths a year is the price you pay for the Second Amendment. Never have more abused words been spoken than “the right to bear arms”.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Pro

Patterson responded by writing that ?gun raffles have been going on for years. Evil has and will always exist. Our hearts break for those involved, and we do not take that lightly.?

Gun raffles in general or gun raffles in schools? In what other countries is raffling off an assault rifle a normal occurrence?

I wonder what this school's policy is if students wanted to start a raffle for a keg of beer or a case of cigarettes? Is that fair game too?

Dobber Sports Pro

People can be so dense

Dobber Sports All-Star

I cannot find the words. And that does not happen often.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Titan

You have to be 18yrs old to buy a gun, so the 3rd graders ID everyone who buys a raffle ticket?
    How does the gun licensing work in a situation like this?
    Do they even do background checks?
    If the person won the gun, but can't be given the gun, does he get money equivalent to price of the gun, or a refund on the ticket?

If the gun is used in a mass shooting, who is going to get blamed, the gov't or would they somehow blame bat flipping in the MLB?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Sadly, until they take away the guns, these events will continue regularly in the US. People would rather children be murdered rather than give up their guns, and the NRA wields tremondous power. Hope it?s worth it; thirty or forty thousand deaths a year is the price you pay for the Second Amendment. Never have more abused words been spoken than ?the right to bear arms?.

Rylant
    Of those 30-40000 gun deaths a year, over half of them are suicides. Of the rest that are homicides or accidents, almost 75% are done by handguns; Are you suggesting the confiscation of all handguns in the USA as well? Not trying to antagonize you I just like to get a clear picture of the gun control measures people suggest.
    Cause if the Federal Gov't tracks all the guns they can(over 300 million of them), and tries to forcibly confiscate them from law abiding citizens, that'll be a civil war.

Steps need to be taken for sure, but just a general "BAN ALL THE GUNS" isnt gonna work in the USA, what can work is law enforcement, just today it came out a school shooting in California was thwarted when Police acted on reports theyd gotten about a kid threatening to shoot up his school, they went to his home, searched it and lawfully confiscated his weapons and arrested the 17 year old.
    Meanwhile the kid who murdered those people in Florida, had multiple reports against him and credible warnings to the FBI and local police about threats to shoot up his school, and nothing was done.

ps. oops what have i started

pps. this raffle is really f'ing dumb

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    Of those 30-40000 gun deaths a year, over half of them are suicides. Of the rest that are homicides or accidents, almost 75% are done by handguns; Are you suggesting the confiscation of all handguns in the USA as well? Not trying to antagonize you I just like to get a clear picture of the gun control measures people suggest.
    Cause if the Federal Gov't tracks all the guns they can(over 300 million of them), and tries to forcibly confiscate them from law abiding citizens, that'll be a civil war.

Steps need to be taken for sure, but just a general "BAN ALL THE GUNS" isnt gonna work in the USA, what can work is law enforcement, just today it came out a school shooting in California was thwarted when Police acted on reports theyd gotten about a kid threatening to shoot up his school, they went to his home, searched it and lawfully confiscated his weapons and arrested the 17 year old.
    Meanwhile the kid who murdered those people in Florida, had multiple reports against him and credible warnings to the FBI and local police about threats to shoot up his school, and nothing was done.

ps. oops what have i started

pps. this raffle is really f'ing dumb
    Well, the easy answer is “yes, confiscate all of the handguns too”. Now, I do know the overwhelming thought process behind hand gun suicide is, that if you want to kill yourself and don’t have a gun, then surely you have a tall building in your area? Also, more harshly, is the thought that if you really want to kill yourself, then just do it already. However, the statistics are pretty alarming. If you live in a household which has a handgun in it, your odds of committing suicide ar some point go up dramatically. Also, guns are so lethal; if you attempt suicide by handgun, you are 90 percent likely to succeed. However, if you try to commit suicide by pill overdose, you are only 2 percent likely to kill yourself. People who survive a suicide attempt are highly unlikely to try to kill themselves again. Also, a hand gun in the household gives people an immediate access to a high chance of suicide when they have a quick impulse to kill themself when something bad happens to them. Getting fired or having a girlfriend break up with you gives people a quick desire to end it. This impulse tends to not last long, and without a quick access to an easy suicide by having a gun, the suicidal tendencies tend to pass quickly. They also estimate that 1000 Americans commit suicide each year who are under 18. That is sad.

Now, all of this being said, I do get it. Saying to Americans that they are going to do away with the Second Amendment altogether and are going to take all of the guns, firstly is never going to happen. Secondly, if anybody in power seriously tried to make it happen, well it wouldn’t end well. Americans love their guns more than any other nation in the world. It’s just not realistic to ask them to ban guns after a mass shooting as they did in Australia and the UK.

Now, if you can’t take away all of the guns, as I would prefer, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for tougher gun control. Ban assault weapons and bump stocks. Have mandatory waiting periods. Limit clip size. Have licenses required for all firearms. Minimum age of 21 to purchase. Domestic violence ban. Universal background checks. Have laws making child locks mandatory. I bet that if these restrictions were imposed, it would dramatically cut down on gun violence.

Oh, and ban gun lobbyists from donating money to politicians.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post

Oh, and ban gun lobbyists from donating money to politicians.

Rylant
    This is actually the entire issue right here. The sheer amount of money the GOP received from the NRA is staggering, in the hundreds of millions every two-year election cycle. The NRA is going to do what they always do after a school shooting, they will entrench and wait for the outrage to peter out. Until that funding is declared to be corruption, which is what it is, nothing of import will change. This is true of the American political system as a whole. All people interested in reform of any kind need to drop what they are doing and immediately concentrate on campaign-finance reform. Until Citizens United (brought to you by Steve Bannon) is overturned, bribery is legal in politics.

Dobber Sports Titan

The lazy answer to gun control is "if we can't remove all the guns, why remove any".

If we can't eliminate all the crime, why even try right?

If extremely strict gun control can work in Australia, no country with 18 mass shootings in 45 days has a legitimate excuse to not have gun control.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Agree with you all. Great commentary.

I watched some of the Parkland Town Hall meeting on CNN last night and the kids were amazing. Rubio and the NRA representitive were drilled by the students and parents of the murdered children and teachers. It was actually ridiculous how they kept tip toeing around the questions. They kept blaming the mental health of the shooter. The NRA rep actually refered to him as, "nuts, crazy, and an insane monster". They just don't get it. I'm pretty sure that if this mentally ill shooter didn't have access to a this weapon of war, he wouldn't have murdered 17 students and injured dozens more.

People can't help being mentally ill but people can help control gun laws. Unfortunately, this is all about money. Period. One student asked Rubio straight out if he would turn down contributions from the NRA and he would not say that he would. I believe the NRA contributed 3.5 million to his campaign in 2016. Gun control should be a huge topic in future elections. Then maybe, things will change. Not holding my breath.

Dobber Sports Titan

The argument of mental health is weird to me. If someone has a mental health issue, how did he get the gun? Like this kid was in therapy right? Shouldn't this be a flag for the system?

I don't really get why people need an AR-15, besides the fact they want it. It's like, I want to have 90% alcohol, but the gov't doesn't allow me. I also don't get the argument of how someone needs to be 21yrs old in the states to buy a beer, but can buy an AR-15 at 18. The ages don't line up.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The argument of mental health is weird to me. If someone has a mental health issue, how did he get the gun? Like this kid was in therapy right? Shouldn't this be a flag for the system?

I don't really get why people need an AR-15, besides the fact they want it. It's like, I want to have 90% alcohol, but the gov't doesn't allow me. I also don't get the argument of how someone needs to be 21yrs old in the states to buy a beer, but can buy an AR-15 at 18. The ages don't line up.
    The age thing has always been a little weird to me anyway. When you are 18, you are old enough to vote and old enough to die for your country serving in the military, but you aren't old enough to buy a beer... That's goofy to me.

Rylant