Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Gm looking for tips

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default New Gm looking for tips

Im joining and already running Keeper Salary cap(cap$=NHLCap) Point only league.
    12f 6D 2G and 2 spare. Keep all
    Im the 12 Gm, my team will be made of free Agent and wil draft 12 at draft day in Sept.
    I wont post the free agent list but my plan is to tank first and pic 22 Rookies lol
    other then the obvious ones 2016 2017 Rookies arent pick yet.
    guys got any sugestion ? players any postion, Strategies?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: New Gm looking for tips

My suggestion is that there should be an expansion draft... if you can only pick players from free agency then it will take a very long time for you to become competitive.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    My suggestion is that there should be an expansion draft... if you can only pick players from free agency then it will take a very long time for you to become competitive.
    I second this. You're being set up to fail. If this is a money league, you're going to simply be contributing to the pot for years before you become relevant.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Sophomore

thats why i want to take rookies, i dont expect to win any time soon.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

It is a mopney league and i dont plan to invest much in the first few year. its a cap league gm drop players all the time for cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolip View Post
    thats why i want to take rookies, i dont expect to win any time soon.
    But even if you take rookies in the draft... you get a pick every 12th pick... you will only get 1 or 2 rookies worth wile.

And yes cap players are always dropped, but that is because no one wants them and there cap is higher than their actual value.

Unless you can pick up players and trade them for futures and retain some cap. But even then you are losing money for several years before you are even close to competitive.

I still think you should suggest an expansion draft.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Rookies like Peterson, Tolvanen, Mittlestad, are all free and i can keep going i am bound to pick up a few that will have sucess and then Sell hight buy low no?? Finish last for couple year I'm I'm sure ill be in e game?

Quote Originally Posted by Nolip View Post
    Rookies like Peterson, Tolvanen, Mittlestad, are all free and i can keep going i am bound to pick up a few that will have sucess and then Sell hight buy low no?? Finish last for couple year I'm I'm sure ill be in e game?
    And what if you make up a complete team of players like that that are free... but don't even play in the NHL next year? Just going to donate the money for the year and hang out? hahah
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Sophomore

oh yeah first 2 year i hang out for sure its 40$ a year if you dotn make trades or pic up free agents so yeah 40$ thats just a few beers lol

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    I second this. You're being set up to fail. If this is a money league, you're going to simply be contributing to the pot for years before you become relevant.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Spot on... So you get the last pick in the draft AND your make up the rest of your team from the FA Pool, correct? And this is a dynasty league (keep all)?

Yikes... It really looks like you are being set up to fail, and not just in a subtle way. I would guess that this league has a cliche of GMs that all have really good teams and they are the power brokers in this league. They are going to take your money. Easy pickin's!! Sure it might only be $40, but it the time and energy you are gong to need to invest if you ever hope to improve this team has it's own cost in time and energy.

There are better leagues to join. I would recommend seeking one out.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It's your money and your time, but I would push for a proper expansion draft or find a new league.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Spot on... So you get the last pick in the draft AND your make up the rest of your team from the FA Pool, correct? And this is a dynasty league (keep all)?

Yikes... It really looks like you are being set up to fail, and not just in a subtle way. I would guess that this league has a cliche of GMs that all have really good teams and they are the power brokers in this league. They are going to take your money. Easy pickin's!! Sure it might only be $40, but it the time and energy you are gong to need to invest if you ever hope to improve this team has it's own cost in time and energy.

There are better leagues to join. I would recommend seeking one out.
    I pick my team now on the 24th actually. In the free agent there are all the rookies from the past 2 years i can pick. including all the one sthat played less then 9 games .....
    Players that never played in the nhl are in the free agents. only player i cant pic are 2018 prospects.

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's actually an interesting case if you can pick up all the undrafted players you want, so your team would be like Pettersson, Tolvanen, Heiskanen, Borgstrom, Makar, Suzuki, Glass, Mittelstadt, Tippett, Necas, Chytil, Vesalainen, Kostin, Thomas, Frost, Jokiharju, Heponiemi, Hart, Gustavsson, Oettinger... Besides the goalies who need more time, that team could be very good in a few years. But I'd try to get the first year for free because you know your team will be terrible for a few years. 2019 and 2020 seem like good years to get the 1st overall pick.

What about prospects like Samsonov and Kaprizov from the 2015 draft, are they also available? Or Demko from 2014? If you can only pick up teenage goalies, the wait time is going to be a long one, so it would be nice to add a bit older goalies at least.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

yes finaly somone that understands me maybe i did not ask properly at first. Yes demko and and Hart and a lot more Sarros is free a swell i think.
    Yes Kaprisov Samsonov when are they coming over?

Dobber Sports Ace

Are you able to make salary-retention deals? If you can, then some of those high-priced free agents might be worth taking with the intention of doing just that. Sure, Rick Nash isn't a $7.8 million player any more, but if the Rangers eat some of that salary then he gets a lot more enticing as a depth piece to teams looking to make a playoff run, right?
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso