Thread: Ben Shapiro

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Ben Shapiro

Anyone else watch his videos? Seems like a very intelligent individual. I love his 'smug' or almost 'cocky' nature about the things he is talking about. Man sure is self aware imo. I don't follow politics much but I'd like to see this guy run for president one day. I like his values and agree with everything he has said in his speeches. Been watching a lot of videos pertaining to social issues. Dr. Jordan Peterson and Milo Yiannopoulos are good to watch as well.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Ben Shapiro

I agree, I've watched some of his stuff and he's a very intelligent and articulate guy. I totally tune out when he starts talking religion, but he warns you when he's going to speak about it and does not use it much in intellectual discussions. I've also been following Peterson - the way the Alt-Left is hammering him is almost humourous (if it wasn't such a grave indicator of where politics is).

I must say though that with Shapiro I do have to turn him off sometimes - I definitely do not agree with a lot (maybe even most) of what he's saying but he presents his argument well and - this is key - will listen to criticisms and respond with intelligence (as opposed to name-calling and tribalism).

I highly recommend watching Dave Rubin's show if you haven't - a couple of weeks ago he had both Shapiro and Peterson on together, great show:

I can relate a lot to Rubin - I used to consider myself 'on the left' (for lack of a better term) but now can't stand being associated with what they've become.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Deity

Never heard of him before.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Follow The Daily Wire, I only listen read his stuff. Milo is a little too much for me.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Ninja

Have you ever had a JW/LDS member come to your door and tried to debate them on certain topics? It's really tough, because these guys live and breath a very narrow set of information and have planned out responses to nearly everything that is said to them. They know the arguments you are going to make, they know the counter-arguments you are going to make to their own arguments, and they know the right words and phrases to say to set you up so that you are on the back foot in those conversations.

This is essentially what Ben Shapiro is, but on a much grander scale.

He's a phenomenal debater. The only other guy I can think of who has the ability to debate like him (though on a slightly different subject matter) is William Lane Craig. They have it down to an absolute art. Shapiro is incredibly quick, but uses certain tactics that are typical.

There's no getting around that he is an intelligent guy, but because of how good he is at debating, he gets lauded as some sort of demi-god in certain circles.

However, he's the kind of guy who's arguments are a little less firm once people have a chance to slow down and give them more of a think. He's a perfect guy for something like Fox News because he can come across controversial, support judeo-christian values, and do it all in loud and quick soundbites that seem really impressive - angry conservative white folks love that crap.

There's some good stuff in what he says, no doubt. I don't disagree with some of his thoughts on things. He just represents much of the ugly side of Fox News think, and because he's such a phenomenal debater, he gets more points that he should for his arguments.

It's unfortunate Christopher Hitchens was not still around, because he wouldn't let Shapiro get away with his debate tactics like a guy like Sam Harris does.

Dobber Sports Pro

If you like conservative pundits who dislike those lefties then sure
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I agree, I've watched some of his stuff and he's a very intelligent and articulate guy. I totally tune out when he starts talking religion, but he warns you when he's going to speak about it and does not use it much in intellectual discussions. I've also been following Peterson - the way the Alt-Left is hammering him is almost humourous (if it wasn't such a grave indicator of where politics is).

I must say though that with Shapiro I do have to turn him off sometimes - I definitely do not agree with a lot (maybe even most) of what he's saying but he presents his argument well and - this is key - will listen to criticisms and respond with intelligence (as opposed to name-calling and tribalism).

I highly recommend watching Dave Rubin's show if you haven't - a couple of weeks ago he had both Shapiro and Peterson on together, great show:

I can relate a lot to Rubin - I used to consider myself 'on the left' (for lack of a better term) but now can't stand being associated with what they've become.
    I was just watching this the other day. I liked one youtube comment saying something along the lines of "now that's a real conversation, nobody talking over each other and two guys talking clear and to the point". I really like his views on abortion, the exact same feeling I always had on it, if I had to add anything I would have said that more has to be done in the prevention of these pregnancies. Overall his stuff is top notch. I wouldn't want to get in an argument or debate with him ... lol

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Follow The Daily Wire, I only listen read his stuff. Milo is a little too much for me.
    lol ... yeah he is a bit out there at times but I find him pretty entertaining.