Thread: How good is this year draft class?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default How good is this year draft class?

I've been hearing for some time that this year draft is a really good one. But is it good because it has exceptional talents or because it is deep? Outside of Dahlin, there doesn't seem to be as much hype around the other prospects as there was around McDavid, Eichel, Matthews or Laine.

Wondering who in the top 5 is expected to play right away for the team that draft them (though I can imagine it is hard to predict without knowing the team they will play for).

I'm wondering what type of establish player I should offer in order to acquire the top picks of my league's next draft.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: How good is this year draft class?

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina and Tkachuk are all likely to play in the NHL next season. There could be some surprises as well on top of that.

We've been spoiled with the McDavid/Eichel and Matthews/Laine drafts, and it's unfair to compare other drafts to those ones. It's very unlikely we see such drafts anytime soon (although Jack Hughes next year should be in that Eichel/Matthews tier).

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't know if any but the top three will play next year (Dahlin, Zadina, and Svechnikov) as that is always a crapshoot haha

I like this draft and feel it is a pretty deep one, but it is tiered of course:
    Top top tier:
    Dahlin

Top tier:
    Svechnikov and Zadina

Next tier:
    Tkachuck, Boqvist, Hughes

Then I would go 7-10/12 are all next up and then 13 to about 40 are all solid adds as well. After that there is a drop off with a few great prospects who always slide
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for your input!

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm with you. I've heard a lot of good things about this year's draft but like some have said, it won't be a McDavid/Eichle or Matthews/Laine type draft. Dahlin is considered as on the cusp of being a generational talent. Said to be the best D prospect since Hedman. Svechnikov has been highly touted as has Zadina and Tkachuck. I've recently blown my team up and sold whatever value I had for 1st round picks. As it stands, I'd draft 2nd, 4th, 9th and 11th overall. Pretty damn excited for that! If one of my offers is accepted, I'll draft 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 11th.