Thread: Backstrom vs Eichel next season (cap, points only)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Backstrom vs Eichel next season (cap, points only)

I was under the impression that Eichel was the clear winner of this player comparison and I was surprised by the answer I received from other owners in my league who place them on equal level for next season and until Backstrom's age catches up with him (so lets say 2 years from now). This stunned me, because from my perspective:

Eichel has produced close to a ppg pace for the past 2 seasons and, while his injury history is concerning, at least they relate to different legs so it might not be as recurrent as it seems. Buff can't really produce less than the last two years and Eichel production is variable but ultimately he hovers around the ppg mark. So there is a clear path to more production here.

For Backstrom, I believe his production is sustainable for a few years due to the PP but with Kuz' emergence, his prime role could diminish going forward. Also, he is signed on a relatively healthy cap hit at 6,7M through 2020, which amounts to a better pts/$ ratio in my league. However he is 30, so ultimately he should slow in a few years and every sign of slowing down lowers his stock, at least in my league.

So is it a case of "grass is greener in the other team" or should I target Eichel? I might be able to pry him away now, but my keeper list would become expensive to say the least (around 48M out of 65M cap hit, depending on Tavares' and Carlsson's contracts). I'd probably have to throw a good pick (1st or 2nd round), but its a shallow league and I can live with that.

Thanks!
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Backstrom vs Eichel next season (cap, points only)

I'd definitely go for Eichel here. I can see the other arguments for sure, but I think he's going to keep growing. Backie is awesome but he's already peaked and will only decline from now on.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    '25 & '26 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Deity

So is thread about the possibility of you trading Backstrom for Eichel? You don't really pose a question anywhere, more of a train of thought that drifts off.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So is thread about the possibility of you trading Backstrom for Eichel? You don't really pose a question anywhere, more of a train of thought that drifts off.
    Yes my bad, clearly something I do haha. As the owner of Backstrom, the question would be:
    Backstrom + likely a 1st round or 2nd
    Vs
    Eichel

Cap league, pts only.

I'm leaning Eichel but would like more input.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

What does Eichel have to do to reach that points per dollar ratio Backstrom hits? Do you think he can get there?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Lets say Backstrom hits 70pts the next two years : around 10,6pts/M$

For Eichel, if he hits 80pts : 8pts/M$. For the same ratio, he needs to produce 106pts, which I believe he wont ever achieve in his career (but hey, lets dream)

However, Eichel's current value is probably at its lowest (but he also carries some risks), while Backstrom is bound to go down sooner or later.

I can probably net Eichel for Backstrom + 1st round , which is a steep price to pay ... I would probably do it in the hopes that Eichel reaches 90-100pts in the next two years.
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith