Thread: Who to own in a keeper league - Talbot or Allen?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Who to own in a keeper league - Talbot or Allen?

Both Talbot and Allen are having a terrible season. I'm wondering which goalie would be a better keeper for next season and the future.

Talbot is bounded to come back to normal but this season's injury-filled EDM obviously have an impact to his play.
    Allen just couldn't get it going this year and I'm wondering if he can be considered as proven after a good season last year.

Thoughts? Standard Yahoo categories. Thanks!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Who to own in a keeper league - Talbot or Allen?

Great question and one I am interested in seeing responses to. I own Allen and am very concerned about his future. I am not concerned about Hutton taking over long term, but clearly the coaching/mgmnt is seeing something in his game. I was planning on having him as an anchor between the pipes for the next few years - but feels like he is turning into a "Mason" type of goalie. I have not seen Talbot play much this year so would be great to get some insight from others to understand if his play or style of play is leading to the results we are seeing this year.

I am leaning towards Allen not being the answer in St Louis and see this become a time/share situation until his contract is up and they move him out... hope I am wrong!
    Scooter
    -------------------------------------------------
    C - Hughes (C/LW), Mackinnon (C), Ek (C),
    LW - Stutzle (LW), Raymond (LW/RW), Joshua (C/LW)
    RW - Rantanen (RW), Giouroux (C/RW). Bjorkstrand (RW), Mantha (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Makar, Seider, L Hughes, Matheson, Faber
    G - Saros, Levi, Luukkonen
    IR -
    -------------------------------------------------
    12 team league - 19 on Roster (+4 IR)
    8 keepers, 5 bench, Weekly H2H league,
    11 cat's G,A,PPP,+/-,SOG,PIM,GWG,Hits & W,SV%,GAA
    2 Start at C, LW,RW and G and 4 D.
    55 Moves Regular Season (re-set to 8 for Play-Offs)
    Daily Line-Up Changes[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'd take Allen just based on the team in front of him. They're in the thick every year. Which Edm team shows up next year? If it's this one.. that's a long season with Talbot.

Best option - bundle the G with a F or D and try to upgrade.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Allen, for me. He's younger, on a better team, and has been better this season. He does have another goalie to contend with there, and I'm not convinced he's a consistent upper-tier guy waiting to emerge, but neither is Talbot.

Talbot's been roughly as good over his career, but the perfect storm of last year isn't likely to happen again, and he's older.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I prefer Talbot. He plays a calm style in net, and has excellent technique. Allen is an average goalie in my opinion. He lacks in certain fundamentals and does not read the play well in front of him, relying too often on his athleticism to make saves. One thing people often neglect is how important hockey sense is for a goalie. I also think that Allen can be weak mentally. He's very lucky to play in front of a strong team in my opinion.

Keep tabs on a guy named Ville Husso if you own Allen. Putting up some good numbers in front of a weak AHL team and is someone the Blues hold in high regard.
    12 Team Roto., 30 Player (20 Keeper) Yahoo Dynasty

G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW, HITS, BLK -- W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

4 - C/LW/RW
    6 - D
    3 - Util
    3 - G

C - Crosby, McDavid, O'Reilly, Couturier
    LW - Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Bennett, Fiala
    RW - Pastrnak, Kucherov, Caufield, Mangiapane
    Util - Lowry, Backstrom, McCann, Barzal, Pageau, E. Kane, Mercer, M. Foligno
    D - Dahlin, Karlsson, Hamilton, Dumba, Pulock, Dobson, Faulk, Romanov

G - Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Bernier