Thread: Will Holtby bounce back?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Will Holtby bounce back?

Just curious as to what people think about the likelihood Holtby will revert back to his elite play of the past couple seasons. Right now his GAA is up to 2.76 from 2.07 a year ago (and 2.20 from the 2 years prior). SV% is down to .914 compared to being above .922 the 3 years prior. Particularly concerning is his recent play in which he has gone 3.33/.899 the past month. I don't know the analytics well enough to figure out if this is simply an aberration and that his play will inevitably improve or is it the fact that his team in front of him is not defending at a good enough level now (and thus resulting in odd man rushes/high quality chances, etc). I won't bother putting my team in my signature because this is more of a general question but I will mention that this is the 2nd year of a 4 year keeper in an 8 team/18 player H2H league. Also despite his recent play he is still regarded as one of the best keeper goalies available. I have Quick, Allen and Jones as my other goaltenders. Is it time to start looking to trade him to a team that is struggling in goal or play the waiting game?

Thanks

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Will Holtby bounce back?

The Caps give up the highest quality chance shots against so Holtby's numbers are an indication of that pourous defence. Until they fix that problem, Holtby's numbers will be mediocre. In fact, his numbers would be worse if he wasn't a top goalie. Not sure how/when the Caps fix their issue but I don't think now is the time to shop him unless you can get full value for him, which is a top 3 goalie.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Sage

Uh, yeah. Safe to say he bounced back.

Dobber Sports Monster

Holtby has been one of the best goalies in the league for a few years now. Safe to say he's rebounded nicely.

Dobber Sports Pro

I doubt it. He looks horrible lately. Never comes through with a clutch save.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I doubt it. He looks horrible lately. Never comes through with a clutch save.
    if his anticipation were better he wouldn't have to dive six feet and use his stick
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    if his anticipation were better he wouldn't have to dive six feet and use his stick
    that's what i was thinking too like come on be a little more out of position Braden

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    that's what i was thinking too like come on be a little more out of position Braden
    Brodeur would have stacked the pads
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

He likely bounces back imo. Goalies year to year are unreliable but Washington will still have an above average team next season and Holtby is still an above average goalie. That equates to a likely bounce back.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Brodeur would have stacked the pads
    That's amateurish - Hasek would've rolled over backwards and smacked it away.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Holtby is finished. Hopefully people traded him for scraps while he still had some marginal value.

Dobber Sports Guru

I am worried about what'll happen if Carlson walks. The D is young and middling already. Losing him won't help.
    But I'm not exactly selling him now either.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev