Thread: Need help with a mlb draft strategy ( will rep)

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Need help with a mlb draft strategy ( will rep)

So with hockey, I have used a similar strategy every year, and am usually competitive. I first draft shooting wingers, target a couple under valued goalies and D men and let the centers fall to me.

But in baseball, no such luck. Tried tiring by position, drafting corner power, let outfielders fall. The only thing I have not tried is a lot of pitchers early. Anyone have had success other than best player available, or great resources I should use?

Playing in a HTH with some Dobber guys and want to make sure that I make a good showing for American Baseball 😂
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Need help with a mlb draft strategy ( will rep)

I usually try to target some of the shallower positions, and generally get pitchers later, but I'm also the kind of guy in hockey who is happy going into a season with hockey goalies like Lehner, Varlamov and Elliott.
    So maybe don't listen to me
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by GSD View Post
    So with hockey, I have used a similar strategy every year, and am usually competitive. I first draft shooting wingers, target a couple under valued goalies and D men and let the centers fall to me.

But in baseball, no such luck. Tried tiring by position, drafting corner power, let outfielders fall. The only thing I have not tried is a lot of pitchers early. Anyone have had success other than best player available, or great resources I should use?

Playing in a HTH with some Dobber guys and want to make sure that I make a good showing for American Baseball 😂

I have found a lot of success by drafting for HR's. I don't know what sort of categories your league has, but i generally find, no matter the position, that having HR's is huge, as they account for at least one R, HR, RBI, XBH. So for me, that is first and foremost as I compare one player to the other.

I usually punt steals, as players tend to fluctuate from year to year with this. That being said, drafting Altuve or Turner would be ideal as they contribute to literally every category, and could win you steals by themselves on any given week.

I make sure I have at least one Ace in my pitchers, and a couple of decent closers. After that, you can find a lot of value in Pitching later in the draft. There always seems to be guys that come out of nowhere, so I always am looking closely at the WW for those types of pitchers.

The most important thing to do, as with most fantasy leagues, is to pay very close attention to waiver wire and potential stars coming out of AAA leagues. Guys like Bellinger last year were waiver wire pickups-- I was the one who snagged him. This has won me a championship.
    10 Team H2H Baseball- Cats

R, HR, RBI, BB, SB, AVG, XBH
    W, ERA, SV, K WHIP, QS

C: D. Jansen
    1B: P. Goldschmidt
    2B: J. Villar
    3B: E. Suarez
    SS: J. Peraza
    OF: M. Trout
    OF: G. Stanton
    OF: A. Benintendi
    UTIL: G. Springer
    UTIL: J. Gallo
    P: T. Bauer
    P: Z. Wheeler
    RP: T. Glasnow
    RP: K. Maeda
    P: G. Marquez
    P: L. Castillo
    P: S. Bieber
    P: C. McHugh

Bench: J. Profar, T. White, M. Smith, C. Martinez (SP), G. Holland

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I always try to take best batter available and let pitchers fall to me!