Default Re: Good Buy Low Goalies

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Darling ultimate buy low IMO
    with the way Ward has been playing?

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    with the way Ward has been playing?
    Well, Ward is a UFA at the end of the year and Carolina are signed up for another three of Darling. There's a chance that Darling gets another chance next year to really grab the starters job. Right now I'd say there's a lot of Darling owners who'd be willing to give him away for very little. So it could be a buy low position if you believe the Hurricanes organization has to try to make that contract work. They may be more aggressive and go for a replacement, but as we've seen with teams like Winnipeg repeatedly going back to guys like Pavelec, there could be more opportunities for Darling. Let's see if it goes a bit better than Pavelec.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by BealestreetTyrant View Post
    I certainly would...I wonder if Comrie will get any starts. Other than hearing he's skating, I haven't heard any news on Mason
    Haha! The "..." was meant to be sarcasm!!

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Dude!?!? Come on! Mason? Even you ditched him. Time to update your sig and enjoy Markstrom and the pick. Still can?t believe you got a pick plus Markstrom.
    I hope everyone has ditched him by now!
    NHL 16 Team, Keeper - Keep 22 / 44 (11 NHLers, 11 Prospects)
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 10 Team, Standard Non PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Well, Ward is a UFA at the end of the year and Carolina are signed up for another three of Darling. There's a chance that Darling gets another chance next year to really grab the starters job. Right now I'd say there's a lot of Darling owners who'd be willing to give him away for very little. So it could be a buy low position if you believe the Hurricanes organization has to try to make that contract work. They may be more aggressive and go for a replacement, but as we've seen with teams like Winnipeg repeatedly going back to guys like Pavelec, there could be more opportunities for Darling. Let's see if it goes a bit better than Pavelec.
    Makes sense if we are looking past this year. I may have missed that in the initial post.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I like all 3 guys originally posted for next year. Allen & Jones seem like they'd require some sort of significatn investment to purchase, but could be worthwhile.

Mrazek is really a speculative play for next year that I like a lot. I have a feeling he's seeing the end of his time in Detroit coming, and is re-energized. I expect him to do better with a change of scenery.

Darling also makes sense for next year, as he's the guy under contract, and Carolina has had this tendency to keep going back to the guy with the contract, as we've seen. However, they could decide to give Ward another contract, or even to trade for another not great goalie to bring in as 1A/1B situation. I bet they could get Mason for free.

Mason made no sense in the offseason for Winnipeg, and he makes less sense now. He's a mediocre to average NHL goalie who needs to be the unquestioned starter, and just isn't good enough to be that guy. Push him with another goalie, and there are issues. Avoid.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I like all 3 guys originally posted for next year. Allen & Jones seem like they'd require some sort of significatn investment to purchase, but could be worthwhile.

Mrazek is really a speculative play for next year that I like a lot. I have a feeling he's seeing the end of his time in Detroit coming, and is re-energized. I expect him to do better with a change of scenery.

Darling also makes sense for next year, as he's the guy under contract, and Carolina has had this tendency to keep going back to the guy with the contract, as we've seen. However, they could decide to give Ward another contract, or even to trade for another not great goalie to bring in as 1A/1B situation. I bet they could get Mason for free.

Mason made no sense in the offseason for Winnipeg, and he makes less sense now. He's a mediocre to average NHL goalie who needs to be the unquestioned starter, and just isn't good enough to be that guy. Push him with another goalie, and there are issues. Avoid.
    Agree on Mrazek - I think he gets dealt and gets the opportunity to battle for a number 1 somewhere else.
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Deity

Agree on Mrazek - I think he gets dealt and gets the opportunity to battle for a number 1 somewhere else.
    If Mrazek can't beat out Jimmy Howard to be a starting goalie, I dont know where else he's going to go that would make me think anything more of him. I'll continue to let others chase him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If Mrazek can't beat out Jimmy Howard to be a starting goalie, I dont know where else he's going to go that would make me think anything more of him. I'll continue to let others chase him.
    I don't disagree - and I think that the more likely scenario for Mrazek is to reach UFA. However, Mrazek has the age advantage for me. A stash on a roster at best for those in (dire) need.
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't disagree - and I think that the more likely scenario for Mrazek is to reach UFA. However, Mrazek has the age advantage for me. A stash on a roster at best for those in (dire) need.
    Age means nothing if the results are still crap.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Age means nothing if the results are still crap.
    Fair enough. He probably could be had for next to nothing too, if someone wanted him.
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Jedi

Robin Lehner
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by JHouly View Post
    Dell
    Im with this. I just acquired him for a pretty reasonable deal and I think he stands to have all the same hype Darling had going into this season by the time we get to next years draft. Hes also getting a lot more starts than your average backup these days...

Was ready to drop Smiths name. Hes provided fantastic value over a one year timeframe (and I was honestly hoping we might eke two elite seasons out of him ).

Dobber Sports Stud

At this point Allen does have age going for him over Hutton. Mason has no future on the Jets with Connor playing so well, and Mason unlikely to want to play backup at age 29, so I'm thinking he will look to be moved, at which point his value could rise. I remember back when he started with Philly, everyone was giving Emery the starting job and Mason dominated.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Rookie

Going forward, is Price or Rask a better fantasy option?

The Great One

This is such a tough call. The Bs are a better team, they have a better defense and they play better team defense- lol! Price is guaranteed HOF but yea at this point I think I roll with Rask. The Habs are a TRAINWRECK (and Im loving every second of it :P ).