Thread: Jack McBain

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Jack McBain

I watched Jack McBain live for the third time this season. My brother plays on the team that is cross-town rivals with McBain's so I have some easy exposure there. The teams are both top four teams in the OJHL too, so it's usually good hockey.

I hadn't been impressed with McBain, the first two times I saw him, and I am not surprised at all that he has fallen out of the first round in most rankings that I have seen. Tonight's game (a 7-0 blowout win for my bother's team), did not do McBain any favours. He looked slow, lazy, temperamental, got outmuscled by a rookie defenceman on several occasions, and I'm pretty sure he didn't win a single face-off. He was also the focal point of a power play that failed to score on 5 or 6 opportunities (I wasn't fully keeping track). I'll be dropping him down my draft board this spring. Now, I can't advise you to do the same since I haven't properly scouted him, but just figured a little inside scoop might be nice.

Also saw two Anaheim scouts on the registered list for the game, and after that performance, would be shocked to see them take him (just another heads up for those doing mock drafts).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Jack McBain

How did your brother do tonight??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    How did your brother do tonight??
    The real questions haha. He had an assist, maybe two. He's a defence man and his pair was up against McBain's line actually. So pretty well all-in-all
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    The real questions haha. He had an assist, maybe two. He's a defence man and his pair was up against McBain's line actually. So pretty well all-in-all
    That's awesome.. I love hearing these kinds of stories..
    My cousin played in Windsor back in the day, I loved getting the scoop on guys like Ott and Spezza. Also had a really good buddy play on the Hitmen when they made their run to the Mem Cup and eventually lost to Ottawa, in OT, in the final game..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    That's awesome.. I love hearing these kinds of stories..
    My cousin played in Windsor back in the day, I loved getting the scoop on guys like Ott and Spezza. Also had a really good buddy play on the Hitmen when they made their run to the Mem Cup and eventually lost to Ottawa, in OT, in the final game..
    That's pretty sweet!

My brother also used to play against Marner/Strome/Stevens/etc back when they were age 13-15 kind of thing. He was always telling me that Marner was the one that was impossible to contain and D. Strome was just big. So obviously everyone liked Strome better.

Got to see his high school team (with Anthony Cirelli) play McDavid's school team. They beat McDavid and held him scoreless if I remember correctly
    They are some fun stories.

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks EB- even with your limited exposure that's not a promising review. A top end prospect should be pissed off and playing with attitude when their team is getting crushed like that. If you're a leader and your team needs a push and you can't deliver at this level, how are you going to react to pro-level adversity?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Thanks EB- even with your limited exposure that's not a promising review. A top end prospect should be pissed off and playing with attitude when their team is getting crushed like that. If you're a leader and your team needs a push and you can't deliver at this level, how are you going to react to pro-level adversity?
    Was talking to my brother a little more today, and he was saying that you could hear him on the ice whining/b*tching at his teammates that they were letting him down (I'm paraphrasing, but that's the idea). So I agree, even on attitude alone, not something you want to see/hear, especially as the team captain.

Dobber Sports Wizard

McBain has been dropping in draft rankings and definitely could play himself out of the first round entirely. I think he's still late in the 1st in many rankings but definitely falling out of the 1st round in some rankings. I've read scouting reports saying his skating is quite poor as well.

By the way, shouldn't this thread be under "Undrafted Prospect Discussion"?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    McBain has been dropping in draft rankings and definitely could play himself out of the first round entirely. I think he's still late in the 1st in many rankings but definitely falling out of the 1st round in some rankings. I've read scouting reports saying his skating is quite poor as well.

By the way, shouldn't this thread be under "Undrafted Prospect Discussion"?
    He can get up to a decent top speed, but he doesn't seem to have much in the way of a quick acceleration, nor does he have a lot of shiftiness. So some very one-dimensional skating.

And you're right, thanks. Fixed it.