Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garoppolo

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Garoppolo

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    the big thing with football is a lot of the contract money is not guaranteed.
    True. But the way the contracts have been working with QBs puts them into a much different realm than other NFL players. Check this out:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/quarterback/

Putting aside full reported contract value if all provisions, escalators, etc. are hit, here are some the figures of guaranteed money that QBs have gotten the last few years:

Matthew Stafford
    (Guaranteed at signing) $60.5 million (Practical Guaranteed Cash) $92 million

Andrew Luck
    (Guaranteed at signing) $44 million (Practical Guaranteed Cash) $87 million

Jimmy Garoppolo
    (Guaranteed at signing) Not Disclosed Yet (Practical Guaranteed Cash) $74 million

Alex Smith
    (Guaranteed at signing) Not Disclosed Yet (Practical Guaranteed Cash) $71 million

Derek Carr
    (Guaranteed at signing) $40 million (Practical Guaranteed Cash) $70.2 million

Eli Manning
    (Guaranteed at signing) $54 million (Practical Guaranteed Cash) $67 million

So, the whole "practical guarantee" thing is a bit fuzzy and, in any event, not really guaranteed in the traditional sense. Still, I think most of these guys hit that given the way the contracts are structured. Basically, they tend to be front loaded, so it costs the teams less in guaranteed "new money" each year to keep the guys rostered, and given the size of the enormous fully guaranteed up front commitment, it's a tough financial pill to swallow to cut a guy a year or two or three into the deal rather than pay him the next installment of newly guaranteed money.

And I think it also creates salary cap issues if you're cutting a guy with guaranteed cash -- meaning, I think it's still counted against the team's salary cap for a period of time, which can then make it tough to assemble the roster (particularly if you need to bring in another QB, and aren't fortunate enough to land a stellar bargain basement rookie like the Texans were with Watson).

All in all, it's good to be an NFL QB. Still nothing compared to NBA and MLB though . . . I definitely agree with that!!
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Couture(IR)/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez(IR)/Edvinsson/York/Gudas
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Default Re: Garoppolo

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    the big thing with football is a lot of the contract money is not guaranteed.
    depends on the player. I think Alex Smith has like $70 mil guaranteed. I may be wrong on that.
    @SmittysRant