Thread: Barre-Boulet

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Barre-Boulet

Tearing up the Q right now (most points by far), undrafted but with a solid track record and progression thru its junior career. Should we be interested in him? I also heard that he's probably going to sign with Tampa as a free agent. Is he a futur Marchesseault? What are your thoughts on him?

I feel like I have to stash him in my farm but I have to drop someone to do so.

would you take him over any of my farm prospects, I could also drop fringe/bottom pro players in Frolik, Nelson, Rust and Demers ?

Full dynasty 16 team

Tyson Jost - C (Col)
    Mark Jankowski - C (Cgy)
    Nick Schmaltz - C/LW (Chi)
    Mathew Peca - C (TB)
    Jake Evans - C/RW (Mon)
    Artturi Lehkonen - LW/RW (Mon)
    Klim Kostin - C/LW (StL)
    Oskar Lindblom - LW (Phi)
    JT Compher - C/LW/RW (Col)
    Henrik Haapala - LW/RW (Fla)
    Daniel Sprong - RW (Pit)
    Alex Tuch - RW (VGK)

Charlie McAvoy - D (Bos)
    Julius Honka - D (Dal)
    Christian Djoos - D (Was)
    Gustav Forsling - D (Chi)

Charlie Lindgren - G (Mon)

EDIT:

Also, Pat Quinn wrote this in is prospect article on february 1st

https://dobberprospects.com/prospect-ramblings-over-agers-and-two-barrie-colts-february-1-2018/

''When looking to the QMJHL to see how Zadina and Abramov are doing you notice a player right now at the top of the point standings is one Alex Barre-Boulet. Currently sitting with 89 points in 46 games this does not look like your average fluke season, or your “he is 20 so he should be dominating” type season. It has me incredibly intrigued. Barre-Boulet has been putting up tons of points since his second year in the QMJHL, with his first season being no slouch either. He has had a point per game average of 0.75, 1.37, 1.25, and currently sits with 1.93. He should be a highly sought after free agent, but he is also 5’09-5’10 so he may have to go through the long process and be one of those “success” stories because NHL GM’s like size over skill still.''

16 teams Dynasty H2H, 25 Pro 17 Farm 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 6B
    Cats: G, A, P, PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%

C: Mackinnon, Matthews, Seguin(RW), Stamkos(LW/RW), Couturier
    LW: E. Kane, Pacioretty, Rakell(RW), Miller(RW), Palat, Johnsson
    RW: Voracek, Dadonov(LW), Pavelski(C), Eberle, Olofsson
    D: Burns, Jones, Ristolainen, Gustafsson, Weber, Fowler, D.Toews
    G: Hellebucyk, Varlamov, Mrazek

Farm: R.Suzuki, Garland, Kostin, A.Thomas, Appleton,
    Kahun, Marody, Dorofeyev, Paul, Lizotte, Fox, ¨Perunovich, Beaudin, Rosen, Walker, Brook

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Barre-Boulet

I would be willing to drop Haapala or one of those fringe pro players but I think there could be better prospects available in your league. But unfortunately I don't know anything about Barre-Boulet - I just think there would be more talk about him if he was worth a spot in your league if those are the prospects you currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I would be willing to drop Haapala or one of those fringe pro players but I think there could be better prospects available in your league. But unfortunately I don't know anything about Barre-Boulet - I just think there would be more talk about him if he was worth a spot in your league if those are the prospects you currently have.
    There's indeed not alot of talk about him (got my attention when Quinn wrote about him) but I think we'll hear more about him when he signs, and it might be too late at that moment..I want to be ahead on this one. Haapala was one that I thought about dropping since he's not living up to my expectations. Peca is also just there to help me out with FW while Mackinnon is injured, so maybe him too.

Kahun, Marody, Dorofeyev, Paul, Lizotte, Fox, ¨Perunovich, Beaudin, Rosen, Walker, Brook

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Justinsane87 View Post
    There's indeed not alot of talk about him (got my attention when Quinn wrote about him) but I think we'll hear more about him when he signs, and it might be too late at that moment..I want to be ahead on this one. Haapala was one that I thought about dropping since he's not living up to my expectations. Peca is also just there to help me out with FW while Mackinnon is injured, so maybe him too.
    First I'd check if maybe some better-known prospects might be available in your league. Here are some examples of the players I'd check:
    D: Ian Mitchell, Max Gildon, Josh Brook
    F: Wade Allison, Erik Foley, Boris Katchouk, Matthew Phillips, Nick Halloran, Dylan Gambrell, Ty Lewis

If all those players are already taken, then I'd start looking at someone lesser-known like Barre-Boulet.

He will be signed. He and Drake Batherson are the best duo in the q right now and have a good shot at the mem cup .

Quote Originally Posted by Justinsane87 View Post
    Why would you drop Peca??

Maybe he's not the hottest prospect, but he's got 5 points in his first 7 GP this year. With Tbay's track record of turning undersized nobody's into solid NHLers, I wouldn't drop him... Trade him maybe. Also some of his points have looked pretty slick the guy isn't just picking up deflections and 2ndary assists

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    Why would you drop Peca??

Maybe he's not the hottest prospect, but he's got 5 points in his first 7 GP this year. With Tbay's track record of turning undersized nobody's into solid NHLers, I wouldn't drop him... Trade him maybe. Also some of his points have looked pretty slick the guy isn't just picking up deflections and 2ndary assists
    Thanks for the input. I dont see much of TB's game so I just picked him up based on his stats (FOW motly) that was interesting. I didnt think he had much potential and was just ridding him while he's hot. I'll definitely reconsider keeping him then.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Tearing up the Q in his draft+3 year, I would be cautious putting much expectations on him. These guys happen somewhat often, and rarely they see the NHL, let alone make a fantasy impact.
    Ice Cap Hockey League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2020. Commish.
    Global Fantasy League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2022. Commish.
    BHL, 12 teams dynasty. Est. 2010. Commish.
    SSHL, 10 teams dynasty. Est. 2020.
    JHL, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2023.

Yearly best ball league player.

Quote Originally Posted by stimperi View Post
    Tearing up the Q in his draft+3 year, I would be cautious putting much expectations on him. These guys happen somewhat often, and rarely they see the NHL, let alone make a fantasy impact.

Indeed, usualy its a good indicator, but as quoted by Quinn in is article, he's had a very good progression to is junior career and does not fit the bill of a typical over age 3rd year player whos dominating because he's older;

https://dobberprospects.com/prospect-ramblings-over-agers-and-two-barrie-colts-february-1-2018/

''When looking to the QMJHL to see how Zadina and Abramov are doing you notice a player right now at the top of the point standings is one Alex Barre-Boulet. Currently sitting with 89 points in 46 games this does not look like your average fluke season, or your ?he is 20 so he should be dominating? type season. It has me incredibly intrigued. Barre-Boulet has been putting up tons of points since his second year in the QMJHL, with his first season being no slouch either. He has had a point per game average of 0.75, 1.37, 1.25, and currently sits with 1.93. He should be a highly sought after free agent, but he is also 5?09-5?10 so he may have to go through the long process and be one of those ?success? stories because NHL GM?s like size over skill still.''

Dobber Sports Prodigy

He has progressed, yes. But it might not be as much as you expect from first glance. Rob Vollman in his excellent book Stat Shot has defined nice point multiplier to account for age in the juniors. His point totals this season account for less than half of that when a player is in his first year of draft eligibility. We should treat this season as roughly a point-per-game season for that first year of draft eligibility.

Now is a point-per-game season good for a prospect at that age? Sure. And Barre-Boulet`s numbers this season are better than most of the scoring leaders in their draft +3 -years in juniors. And still, they rarely see NHL ice, and more so become regulars. Let alone point producers. I remain highly sceptical.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

A few of guys to compare.

Conor Garland
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=177208

Marcus Power
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=130686

Ben Duffy
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=19429

Yanni Gourde (yes, some of them pan out!)
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=37303

Philip-Michael Devos
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=37288

Even if we think that Barre-Boulet is the best of the group, which he very well might be (Gourde says hello), these guys are far off from the NHL.

And with Gourde, we are talking about 5-6 years after his QMJHL explosion, when he put himself on the map in the NHL.

Thanks Stimperi for the comparables, it gives me a good idea of the risk involves in those type of players. There's a big chance that you a right about this one.. Still I think I'll try to stash him while he's still underdog and maybe swap him for another similar long shot type of prospect that I have (Haapala for exemple). and if/when he signs, maybe try to trade him into the hype.. Or wait and see if anything happens with him. In this league GMs are very trigger happy with these kind of prospects and it inflates their value, it could become an asset for me eventualy.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah, and one thing is that his value is not going down very soon. There will be hype when he is signed (I do think he will be, even though I am skeptical about him making the show). So if you stash him now, you might be able to get a better prospect when the time comes in a trade!