Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Burrows Knees Hall in the Head?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Burrows Knees Hall in the Head?

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I didn't hear that, what did he say? I'd be interested to know. Patrick O'Sullivan... wow, haven't heard that name in a long time.
    I am not a big fan of Patrick O'Sullivan and his comments. He's a big twitter user and while I appreciate his candidness on social media, I rarely agree with his train of thoughts on many things. Dude says some weird crap on twitter, almost to the point of being a troll. Others may like it and agree with him but I rarely do.

I am not saying his comments regarding Burrows are inaccurate because I can't confirm or deny anything he has to say that happened on the ice but I do find his regular comments on twitter regarding various NHL situations to be, shall I say, "out there".
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am not a big fan of Patrick O'Sullivan and his comments. He's a big twitter user and while I appreciate his candidness on social media, I rarely agree with his train of thoughts on many things. Dude says some weird crap on twitter, almost to the point of being a troll. Others may like it and agree with him but I rarely do.

I am not saying his comments regarding Burrows are inaccurate because I can't confirm or deny anything he has to say that happened on the ice but I do find his regular comments on twitter regarding various NHL situations to be, shall I say, "out there".
    Yeah, I don't disagree with that assessment of O'Sullivan generally.

At times, I find that he offers really unique and candid insight into the inner workings of big time hockey that most fans wouldn't have the personal experience or connections to otherwise know/hear about. But I also find that his take on some situations can be a bit out there at times. His approach is unpolished and unscripted. And the one thing he's never lacking is a somewhat strong opinion, plus his personal dislike for Burrows is well documented.

So listening/reading with some amount of healthy skepticism is (as in most situations) good to do. I just found this particular contribution from him to be an interesting addition to the mix of information.

But to be sure, I also am in no position to confirm or deny that all of what O'Sullivan says happened, happened (except Burrows' taunts of O'Sullivan described above -- Burrows ultimately copped to that one).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a...canucks-abuse/
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    So, while not normally my thing to gossip, this was broadcast on NHL radio yesterday afternoon and I think adds significantly to the conversation.

Among other things (and aside from the stories of cheap shots, biting, etc.), O'Sullivan talked about how Burrows is widely known in the league for:

1) Taunting O'Sullivan about the child abuse O'Sullivan regularly suffered at the hands of his father while growing up;
    2) Taunting some players (unnamed) about their spouses and kids, and things he'd like to do to them;
    3) Taunting some players (unnamed) about sick family members, including some who had cancer and Burrows would say he hopes they die.
    4) Taunting a Dallas Stars player (I forget who; maybe Antoine Roussel?) about that player's brother who had committed suicide, going so far as to say to that player "what do you think the gun tasted like in your brother's mouth before he pulled the trigger?"

And, of course, never EVER answering the bell when any of those people to exception, unless he can catch that person from behind, otherwise unaware, already compromised or at the end of a shift, etc. That apparently includes, according to O'Sullivan, an instance when O'Sullivan later saw Burrows in public, confronted him about the abuse comments and challenged him to fight away from the rink, which Burrows refused.

Now, I generally don't advocate violence to settle things in every day life. I really don't. And I certainly understand that chirping is a part of the game and most sports. But this stuff goes so way beyond the pale in my book. And, in my view, if one person is CLEARLY the instigator and bully in a situation but absolutely refuses to stand up when called out on that conduct, that says something about the person too.

Oh, and O'Sullivan also said that Burrows beat up a rec league goalie after joining in some random middle-aged beer league game one summer.

So all in all, if you believe O'Sullivan, Burrows just sounds like someone who the NHL and its fans will be better off without one day.
    Oof. Yea that's all horrible. Now that you mention it I remember hearing about some of those stories when they happened. I don't understand why guys like Burrows can't target other guys like Burrows. Wouldn't it be great to see Marchand get a 20 game suspension for breaking Burrows's face with a flying elbow? Maybe someday. I digress.

Dobber Sports Deity

Burrows will not appeal the suspension.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sp...ild/320033002/
    NEWARK – The Devils’ Taylor Hall obviously agreed with the NHL’s decision to suspend the Senators’ Alex Burrows for 10 games.

Ultimately, so did Burrows, who opted not to appeal the league’s judgement.

“It’s a lot of games,” Hall said on Thursday. “I think what they’re saying is it’s not really a hockey play. It’s not something you want to see in the game. I don’t know what his reaction was or his reasoning but it’s something where the reason it’s so high is they just want to exterminate it. They don’t want to see it again.”

The NHL Player Safety Department on Wednesday night suspended Burrows for 10 games and fined the 36-year-old forward $134,406.60 for his “dangerous and unjustifiable” actions against Hall at 10:02 of the second period of the Devils’ 5-3 loss at Ottawa on Tuesday night.

“The situation was one in which I recognize I let my emotions get the better of me, and it was a relief to see that Taylor Hall was not injured,” Burrows said in a statement released by the NHL Players’ Association. “I have decided to accept the NHL’s decision.”

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

My guess is that his comments about Burrows, in relation to him, are accurate. I recall Burrow's making a public apology:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/b...642/story.html

I know there is a code to keep what's said on the ice. But I think we've moved past this mentality, and that there should be boundaries.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Burrows could have gotten a few more games and we all would have been a little bit happier.. HaHa.. No need for the knees to the head..

I also agree with Axe's assessment of P. O'Sullivan. He has gone through alot in his life and I feel bad for him. But now it seems like he is trying to be a guy that says outlandish things so he will be remembered..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Oof. Yea that's all horrible. Now that you mention it I remember hearing about some of those stories when they happened. I don't understand why guys like Burrows can't target other guys like Burrows. Wouldn't it be great to see Marchand get a 20 game suspension for breaking Burrows's face with a flying elbow? Maybe someday. I digress.
    2011 Marchand offered Burrows a nibble on his finger.. he declined. he was given every opportunity to eat another rat
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

I thought that was Bergeron he bit, not Marchand.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I thought that was Bergeron he bit, not Marchand.
    he did bite Bergeron... in a later game during that series Marchand stuck his finger in Burrows face offering him a snack

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    he did bite Bergeron... in a later game during that series Marchand stuck his finger in Burrows face offering him a snack
    I believe it was Lucic who put his fingers in Burrows face.. I think I remember Marchand doing something aswell with his fingers..

https://youtu.be/SebjT4G-Ix0

Lapierre mocked Bergeron and put his digits in his face.. And then Recchi returned the favor to Lapierre later in the game/series..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I believe it was Lucic who put his fingers in Burrows face.. I think I remember Marchand doing something aswell with his fingers..

https://youtu.be/SebjT4G-Ix0

Lapierre mocked Bergeron and put his digits in his face.. And then Recchi returned the favor to Lapierre later in the game/series..
    this is what 7 years does to you in your 30's

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    So, while not normally my thing to gossip, this was broadcast on NHL radio yesterday afternoon and I think adds significantly to the conversation.

Among other things (and aside from the stories of cheap shots, biting, etc.), O'Sullivan talked about how Burrows is widely known in the league for:

1) Taunting O'Sullivan about the child abuse O'Sullivan regularly suffered at the hands of his father while growing up;
    2) Taunting some players (unnamed) about their spouses and kids, and things he'd like to do to them;
    3) Taunting some players (unnamed) about sick family members, including some who had cancer and Burrows would say he hopes they die.
    4) Taunting a Dallas Stars player (I forget who; maybe Antoine Roussel?) about that player's brother who had committed suicide, going so far as to say to that player "what do you think the gun tasted like in your brother's mouth before he pulled the trigger?"

And, of course, never EVER answering the bell when any of those people to exception, unless he can catch that person from behind, otherwise unaware, already compromised or at the end of a shift, etc. That apparently includes, according to O'Sullivan, an instance when O'Sullivan later saw Burrows in public, confronted him about the abuse comments and challenged him to fight away from the rink, which Burrows refused.

Now, I generally don't advocate violence to settle things in every day life. I really don't. And I certainly understand that chirping is a part of the game and most sports. But this stuff goes so way beyond the pale in my book. And, in my view, if one person is CLEARLY the instigator and bully in a situation but absolutely refuses to stand up when called out on that conduct, that says something about the person too.

Oh, and O'Sullivan also said that Burrows beat up a rec league goalie after joining in some random middle-aged beer league game one summer.

So all in all, if you believe O'Sullivan, Burrows just sounds like someone who the NHL and its fans will be better off without one day.
    If those four stories are all true, that’s just sad. To say that kind of chirping is okay and for anyone to say O’Sullivan is breaking some “leave it on the ice” code is just ridiculous.

Dobber Sports Ace

this is what 7 years does to you in your 30's
    Who needs memories when we've got it all on YouTube now anyhow?

Man, that was a great year in the playoffs. IIRC there were a ton of OT/2OT games and 7 game series, big games, big goals. Plus, that Bruins Roster is one of my favourites in my lifetime. Lucic, Bergeron, Horton, Wheeler, Kelly, Campbell, Chara, shoot, Seguin was even there. Might have to go back and re-watch some of those games.

Edit: Just checked, 7 series went to 7 games, 27 games went to OT, 5 went to 2OT. My wife is watching Netflix alone for a while, I'm binging the 2011 playoffs.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    Who needs memories when we've got it all on YouTube now anyhow?

Man, that was a great year in the playoffs. IIRC there were a ton of OT/2OT games and 7 game series, big games, big goals. Plus, that Bruins Roster is one of my favourites in my lifetime. Lucic, Bergeron, Horton, Wheeler, Kelly, Campbell, Chara, shoot, Seguin was even there. Might have to go back and re-watch some of those games.
    I live in Canuck land and they're convinced they were the better team 'if not for injuries' - if 2011 finals are brought up you're guaranteed to get a 'nuck fan on a rant. They really love when you point out Boston had more SHG's than Van had PPG's in that series, even though they had 7 more PP chances.

Dobber Sports Ace

I live in Canuck land and they're convinced they were the better team 'if not for injuries' - if 2011 finals are brought up you're guaranteed to get a 'nuck fan on a rant. They really love when you point out Boston had more SHG's than Van had PPG's in that series, even though they had 7 more PP chances.
    My best friends are a Leafs fan and Canucks fan, They were both cheering against me through that series. I have had many talks with my Canucks fan friend about that series over the years... Many. Hah. He agrees with me now that the Bruins were the better team, but he holds that it's because of things the Canucks couldn't or didn't do, not that the Bruins were fantastic that year.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso