Thread: Matthews for Crosby

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Matthews for Crosby

Curious what you folks think of this. Matthews is obviously golden for one more season on his ELC, but will more than likely be making ~$10+ beyond that. I have Kucherov coming up at the same time, and I'm expecting him to be one of the highest paid players in the league (McDavid money at least).

There's a GM in the league, mega-Leafs fan, has hinted at doing Crosby straight up. Is it worth taking on the age/extra salary for the boost to points this season?

I'm currently competing for first, 8 points back, but it's a dog fight; four teams with a legit shot at top spot (I'm 4th). I was in first for most of the season, but ran into injury issues for a while. Crosby would obviously help, but is he going to help enough? Am I overthinking this?

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!

Edit: Forgot to mention, our cap is tied to the league's cap.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Matthews for Crosby

If you do this trade, you're taking on nearly eight million in salary this year (and next). How are you going to compensate for that? Seems like ROR is an obvious drop, but is he enough? And who would replace him?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah, that's the sticking point for sure. O'Reilly, Zib, and Patches cycle in/out of my lineup depending on who has more games/hot streak. We're talking Guentzal for O'Reilly to make the cap work (I have a bit of space), but O'Reilly's been a steady producer, and Guentzal is a big question mark.

My starting lineup would therefore look like Kuch/Crosby/Schenn/Radulov/Zib/Patches, with Guentzal on my bench. Not bad, but hooped if an injury hits (god forbid Sidney goes down).

Yeah, it's not as clear cut as I wish it was, thanks for the sounding board
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)

Roster

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd probably keep Matthews for now.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Id keep. Age difference is everything.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Keep Matty

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Definitely where I'm leaning. One more year of ELC, and then by the time him and Kuch re-sign, the cap should be around ~$85 million. Here's hoping they both take hometown discounts :/

Thanks for the advices...
    Ice Cap

Roster

Dobber Sports Genius

I would take Crosby. He will out point Matthews for the next 3 to 5 years and after next year Matthews will make more then him by a significant amount. Don't let age deter you. Matthews is a 75ish point player and Crosby is 85+ for the foreseeable future. Let guys like Malkin, Ovi, Getzlaf and Jumbo Joe be your guides on how elite talent can keep father time down a little longer then other mere mortals.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Genius

Everyone whos says Matthews are just homer fan boys. Its ludicrous, let's take the lesser producing player for 3 to 5 years so I win the trade in 4 to 6? You keep that mentally you won't win too many pools.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Everyone whos says Matthews are just homer fan boys. Its ludicrous, let's take the lesser producing player for 3 to 5 years so I win the trade in 4 to 6? You keep that mentally you won't win too many pools.
    there's a 10-20pt difference between the two... What makes Matthews a lot more valuable is that he's on an ELC & Crosby's making 8.7m. that 7.7m difference is not worth 20pts.

I think making this deal is a panic move, of what will be in 20 months from now. You get ROS and all of next season of Matthews at a minimal cost. Then you find a way to keep the blossoming stud. Always find room for your studs by dropping falling duds.

This is a bad trade.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

In a non-cap league, for sure, but in a cap league, as lucafen4 and others have pointed out, it's not necessarily even a win this year and next.

I'm also in the camp that thinks he's going to take a hometown discount so the Leafs can compete, similar to McDavid. If you consider he's a tier below McD, then I'm thinking $10 million. Not a lot more than Crosby if that works out.

Plus, as you mentioned, there's a lot of Matthews fanboys, so I'll likely be able to trade him for Crosby anyway after next season:P
    Ice Cap

Roster

Dobber Sports Genius

Ok here's a question for all in the thread. Would you do this deal if it was McDavid and his 12.5 for Matthews?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

In a heartbeat. If Crosby was 21 and still on his ELC I'd do the same. But unfortunately I can't redraft my team for the rest of the season, so it's not as simple as that.
    Ice Cap

Roster

Dobber Sports Ace

I would keep Matthews. ELCs like that are golden, and they are often the ticket to a championship.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Ok here's a question for all in the thread. Would you do this deal if it was McDavid and his 12.5 for Matthews?
    Yep. That removes the age factor, and then you are looking at essentially 1.3 years of really cheap Matthews versus a lot longer of a better McDavid at similar cost. This is cap DYNASTY, long term thinking can work. Ideally you want some spots where you can just have players you set & forget. Crosby was one of them, and is for another few years, likely. But not for the length of time McDavid or Matthews will be.

In my dynasty inaugural list draft (admittedly non-cap) I was lucky to lock up my goalies long term: Hasek backed by Roy. Roy on my bench when Hasek wasn't hurt infuriated some people, but was not my problem that I have a really sweet backup.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.