Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 DobberBaseball League

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: 2018 DobberBaseball League

I prefer cats too. But either way I am ok with it.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

The Wolverine

Just joined and my preference is H2H categories.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Im gonna throw out some of the key rules we had and then just post and once Yahoo opens, I will create a poll for each. Does that work??

No max acquisitions for season, 4 per week.

Min Innings per week = 36

Positions: All infield, 4 x OF, Util, 2 x SP, 2 x RP, 3 x P, 6 x BN, 3 x DL, 1 x NA

Hitting: R, HR, RBI, SB, Avg, OBP

Pitching: W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV+HLD

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I liked the categories last year.... it was different than my other league which is H2H total points and they definitely require a different strategy.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Im gonna throw out some of the key rules we had and then just post and once Yahoo opens, I will create a poll for each. Does that work??

No max acquisitions for season, 4 per week.

Min Innings per week = 36

Positions: All infield, 4 x OF, Util, 2 x SP, 2 x RP, 3 x P, 6 x BN, 3 x DL, 1 x NA

Hitting: R, HR, RBI, SB, Avg, OBP

Pitching: W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV+HLD
    Happy to go with the majority as I'm new to the league and haven't played H2H baseball in awhile.

So, I have a few comments/questions based on your experience:

The first is about balance, and whether you guys felt that the roster structure (10 starting hitters, 7 starting pitchers, 6 bench) is a good ratio. Of course, some people would use the bench primarily for pitchers as you can swap in when there are starters. Did you find that starting ratio worked well?

For the categories, so it's a 6x5 ratio? I've never played with that imbalance in my roto leagues (usually 5x5 or 6x6). Was that a conscious decision to not make it even on either side? Is there a reason to have both Average and OBP? I know the difference but it seems there's quite a bit of redundancy. What about getting rid of average and just use OBP, assuming you want to keep SV/HLD together?

Also, I have no basis for comparison with regards to the minimum number of innings pitched per week. Did that work well enough?

4 transactions per week seems reasonable. It's enough to keep it active but not too much that could lead to streaming.

Dobber Sports Immortal

That is just the roster structure I have always played with so that is what I suggested. I would be open to increasing either roster or bench size since it's only 10 guys though.

We knew it was 6 x 5 and if I remember correctly some wanted OBP over just having BB as a category. I don't mind either way for RPs because all it does is change your strategy a bit. I do want to keep Holds though. RPs are such a massive part of the game now that I don't understand why the common format is just Saves. You're missing out on 3-4 innings pitched every game.

Some guys brought up making it a bit lower....but that would only open the possibilty to go heavy on RP.

4 transactions.....exactly! That's why I love it.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I really didn't like the 36 IP minimum last year. I thought it was quite a bit too high for a couple of reasons.

Sure, if you are really on top of it, and frequently checking, you should be able to reach it each week. However, as we saw last year, if you aren't checking frequently and only a couple times a week, or if someone checks out completely as some did last year, you are almost assuredly coming up short, giving the other team free ponits skewing overall totals.

Given it being the summer, I know I was only checking a couple of times a week as I was off at cottages and areas with limited reception. Even though I was setting my lineup a week in advance as often as I could, all it took was an injury to throw things off, or a missed start, and all of a sudden, your lineup is screwed and you may not even know it.

Furthermore, and this happened to me as well, I did notice a last minute change, so I jumped in and modified my lineup. Unfortunately, the way Yahoo! works, is if you have already set your lineup for the week, and you make a change earlier in the week, it will sometimes reset the rest of the lineup that you had previously set, screwing you again.

I ended up just missing the playoffs, and I know that I missed 2 or 3 weeks of pitching points because of the reasons above, which would have got me in.

My recommendation would by low 20's, like 24. Enough to make sure you can't just roll RP all week, but not so high as to increase the risk of running into the situations I described above. That was my main problem with the league last year.

Dobber Sports Titan

Make more SP starting and less bench if worried about not hitting 36IP. It's 6 starts/week, and RPs usually do lets say 2-4IP/week, start 2 thats 4-8IP. Make it easy say 4. 32IP from SP ~= 5starts/week.

Really isn't hard to get 36IP, just need to change a strategy. 24IP = 4starts/week. That's WAY too low, 2 starters, 2RPs, 3P.

2Starters = 5-6IP/player/week MINIMUM = 10-12IP
    2RPs = 2-4IP/player/week = 4-8IP
    3Pitchers = 1starter (5), 2RPs (2-4/player) = 5+5IP =10

10+4+10 = 24IP just on your starting lineup, then add in players on your bench.

24IP to me is way too low.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

I did that. I had mostly SP on my bench and still ran into issues. Like I said, for those who can't check daily, if you set your lineup for the week, but injuries hit or a start is skipped, you are at danger of missing it. I strongly feel it needs to come down.

What is the rationale for having it at 36? What are we so worried about that it needs to be at 36IP? I really think all it does is give an advantage to those who are able to check daily. I won't be able to do that, and I gaurantee I will miss the limit on multiple weeks because of random issues and Yahoo! setting messups.

All this does is inflate the value of SP because you are forced to horde more than you usually would in an attempt to make sure you hit the mark. We saw that with how many people wanted to trade for SP all season. Those are the only trade requests I got.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    2Starters = 5-6IP/player/week MINIMUM = 10-12IP
    2RPs = 2-4IP/player/week = 4-8IP
    3Pitchers = 1starter (5), 2RPs (2-4/player) = 5+5IP =10
    This makes perfect sense with the way our league is set up. Then you would likely keep 2SP on your bench, 1RP, leaving 3 bench spots for players.

That way you are covered if you run into injury or if a guy is made to skip a start.

If you keep it at 36IP, you need to roster 2 additional SP to cover yousrelf for the 10 additional IP; meaning 4 of your 6 bench spots are for SP, maybe 1 for RP and 1 player? Yet our category breakdown is 6x5 palyer to pitcher categories? That seems out of whack.

If you really want to keep the 36IP, the alternative is to increase the bench spots to 8, but all that does is waterdown the quality of SPs we are forced to roll out.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I am in favour of keeping IP similar to last year.... there are more Starting Pitchers on a team that can get you fantasy stats than there are RP that will get you meaningful stats.

Yes this prevents owners from stacking there RP and winning majority of categories... but I think Starting Pitchers should have an importance in fantasy baseball.

I liked 36 and think don't fix what doesn't need fixing.

Kofax - I understand the concern about injuries and missing starts... my strategy is to set the lineup at the start of the week... but take into consideration when there scheduled start is when making lineup changes for the week.

If your pitcher is slated to start on Wednesday... make sure he is in the lineup for Tuesday and Thursday as well so that you do not lose out on a start if the start is switched.

Dobber Sports Immortal

As I said I am open to increasing the bench....but I don't see the issue with 36 Innings. My 12 team league has 38 and my 14 team league has 31. In the 20s is wayyyyy too low.

The reason there were trade offers for SP is because the great ones were so few and far between last year! Plus....trading players is difficult becuase you often have to find the perfect match; ie. I have extra 3B and want 2B so I need to find someone who needs 3B and has extra 2B.

Plus.....shouldn't most bench spots be SP anyway?? In a 10 team league you're almost going to have great batters at every position. Im rarely sitting those great players.

Dobber Sports Titan

Also, there's an imbalance of stats right? 6hitters, 5pitchers? The IP inflates the value of pitchers.

I honestly think 24IP will just make SPs value too low. If you have top RPs in 5 slots, you can get 10-15IP just off them easily. Leaving 2 starts for your SPs in your lineup. Like, I just spat out a strategy for Pitching in a snap, to me it's not hard to adjust your strategy to the league, so if we switch...we switch then the GMs just need to adjust.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Also, there's an imbalance of stats right? 6hitters, 5pitchers? The IP inflates the value of pitchers.

I honestly think 24IP will just make SPs value too low. If you have top RPs in 5 slots, you can get 10-15IP just off them easily. Leaving 2 starts for your SPs in your lineup. Like, I just spat out a strategy for Pitching in a snap, to me it's not hard to adjust your strategy to the league, so if we switch...we switch then the GMs just need to adjust.
    Exactly. Just a change in strategy....and in the end I'd rather value SP more than RP.

Dobber Sports Pro

My only concern is obp and avg is too much alike. Need to pick one or the other.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall