Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Next generation of D-Men crop to break out?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Next generation of D-Men crop to break out?

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Since some people are tossing around negative rep I guess I better explain my thoughts.

The question is the next generation to break out and become elite.

So I picked some names that are outside the popular names... McAvoy, Werenski, Chabot, Provorov... these are players already making a name for themselves in the NHL so one could consider that as already breaking out (or breaking into the NHL)

I went deeper and looked at some players outside the NHL that are scoring at a decent pace in the AHL.
    I didn't even know negative rep was possible, but I guess that's what "I disapprove of this message" means. Maybe he will be lucky enough to receive the same NEGATIVE Reputation back in turn.

Honestly, if I find somebody who I find being too much of a goon here, I'd just slap them on ignore rather than deal with assigning negative rep.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Expert

I honestly think Reilly took a little longer due to injuries in Jr. He could have used another year. May be the reason for Nolan Patrick's slow start too?
    I also think he was trending upwards but Babcock tried to get him to focus on his defensive game more. Messed the young kid up a bit (but that's part of getting better isn't it?)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    If you were to summarize his whole career. He?s been an offensive bust. Am I wrong? One season doesn?t erase 4 others
    first two years, horrible years for the team. third season, he put up 36pts with so-so PP time. Last year, he was given next to zero PP time. There are not offensive studs on D that don't get substantial PP time. That's the difference for some of these players from being 35pt Dmen and 45+pt dmen. That's the case with M.R. You are the only one that is saying he has been an offensive bust.

Since you follow all teams and aren't bias, then you're fully aware Babcock had intentionally held him back in offensive situations to build his defensive game. As this was the initial plan when Babs came in. but you knew this already.

There's a difference between being a 'bust' and 'not living up to expectations' -- I'll agree the offense to this year hasn't met expectations, but it's due to his deployment and long term plan in place for him than anything related to bust.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    first two years, horrible years for the team. third season, he put up 36pts with so-so PP time. Last year, he was given next to zero PP time. There are not offensive studs on D that don't get substantial PP time. That's the difference for some of these players from being 35pt Dmen and 45+pt dmen. That's the case with M.R. You are the only one that is saying he has been an offensive bust.

Since you follow all teams and aren't bias, then you're fully aware Babcock had intentionally held him back in offensive situations to build his defensive game. As this was the initial plan when Babs came in. but you knew this already.

There's a difference between being a 'bust' and 'not living up to expectations' -- I'll agree the offense to this year hasn't met expectations, but it's due to his deployment and long term plan in place for him than anything related to bust.
    The ghost of Big Ev lurks

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Panther View Post
    The ghost of Big Ev lurks
    he says it's not him... part of me thinks an exorcism is in order if that's true.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I'm worried about Juolevi's ice time this season. A player like him should be playing more than 17:33 (just 12:55 in his last game, not sure what was up with that). Miro Heiskanen for example is playing 24:59. 23:29 for Joni Tuulola. 22:01 for Urho Vaakanainen. I would expect Juolevi to be in the same neighborhood with those guys.

Juolevi has just 4 points in his last 11 games, so that also worries me.
    To add to my previous post - Juolevi's struggles are for real. He was scratched for two games, and now he's playing his second game as the 7th defenseman. And the top defenseman for TPS is 39-year-old Henrik Tallinder, so take that as you will. Liiga is a league where 18-year-olds like Heiskanen and Vaakanainen play big minutes, so there's no reason Juolevi shouldn't be doing the same. He's not even used on the power play anymore.

Great discussion for the most part, gents. I made a claim for Fox to stash at the end of my dynasty bench, and will target Dahlin in 2018's draft. Got my eye on some other names mentioned too.

Much appreciated.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    To add to my previous post - Juolevi's struggles are for real. He was scratched for two games, and now he's playing his second game as the 7th defenseman. And the top defenseman for TPS is 39-year-old Henrik Tallinder, so take that as you will. Liiga is a league where 18-year-olds like Heiskanen and Vaakanainen play big minutes, so there's no reason Juolevi shouldn't be doing the same. He's not even used on the power play anymore.
    Great update. Thx as always JP

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post
    A guy likely more readily available with huge upside is Max Gildon. Close to ppg Dman in NCAA rookie season and has a feisty side averaging a PIM per game
    I think with a player like this it should go in a D-prospect sleeper thread. I'd tag Ian Mitchell right there with him. No one paid him any attention in the AJHL last year (outside of scouts) due to the Makar hype train, but he had a helluva season in the AJHL and is besting Makar's numbers in the NCAA this year.

Dobber Sports Stud

Keep your eyes on Girard, and target him while his value is relatively low. At 19, he's quarterbacking Colorado's PP and he skates better than Ghost.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

The Great One

Alreadu posted Chabot who will put up 40 points next year

this isn?t about owning a crystal ball, we?re allowed to have strong opinions about players . I don?t see kylington making the nhl, he dropped all the way to 60th for a reason , his stock has been dropping for years now. 22 in 37 is nothing to write home about for a guy who is supposed to be offensive and has played against men since 2013-14
    Lmao!! And it was an Ottawa D-man- hahaha! I just hope noobies don't read your advice on guys like Kylington. In a deep(ish) dynasty format hes a great project...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    he says it's not him... part of me thinks an exorcism is in order if that's true.
    It is. Nobody believed he'd be able to stay away. This is typical dump on everything that isn't Ottawa Big Ev drek. Lmao- literally only chimed in about Chabot and to dump on other peoples picks- lmao!! Tats Big Ev -esque as it gets!!

I think Rielly and Barrie might take a step into a more elite tier this year. Their sog rates are noticeably better. Barrie was having one hell of a season before that injury. It didn't catch a lot of ink either and I was surprised to read he was out for most of Colorados big heater too so he didn't make his production off the back of that.

I think Jones/Werenski have an elite gear- and in theory can help each other rather than harm. I don't own either but Im still a fan of these guys.

For young guys- yea I think Theodore has a bright future.

Ill piggyback the Kylington pick- I don't own him but may just make a pitch for him.

Tim Heed!! The hype train has slowed down- but I think a slower adaptation curve might settle in now- but that doesn't necessarily mean hes an offensive bust. He exploded in the AHL but he plays a rover's game that might have to be reeled in to allow sustainable production in the big leagues. That being said hes a shot volume guy with wizard-like offensive instincts. Not for short bench keepers- but a nice gamble in dynasties...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    It is. Nobody believed he'd be able to stay away. This is typical dump on everything that isn't Ottawa Big Ev drek...
    Again I already had to prove I wasn’t this person and I did .

Im ignoring you since it appears you can’t handle adult conversations

The Great One

Oh please god- don't do it!! I guess I should just unsubscribe now- its a sad day when the trolls don't want to eat the treats you bring them

- - - Updated - - -

Again I already had to prove I wasn’t this person and I did .

Im ignoring you since it appears you can’t handle adult conversations
    Well you come across as a reasonable facsimile. Sorry I implied that. You are your own uniquely bad forum entitity- thanks for dumping on everyones ideas anyways guy...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'll throw Dante Fabbro's name in the mix since it wasn't mentioned yet...

*please don't negative rep
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin