Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: McDavid Trash Talks Officials

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: McDavid Trash Talks Officials

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    How does suggesting the ref check upstairs point to him being called a horrible ref? McDavid is WELL aware of the fact that the ref had nothing to do with goaltender interference being called on the play. It was the situation room who made the call, and the ref is just the messenger relaying the info. McDavid is frustrated with the inconsistencies and him saying ?Check upstairs? is an indication of that. He wasn?t suggesting that the ref is horrible. Are they so fragile that a comment of ?check upstairs? is an abuse of official penalty?

Further to this; IF it is a situation where the ref needs to call an abuse of official penalty when somebody who is frustrated with the state of video replay says ?check upstairs?, well grow some thicker skin. He is frustrated; it?s not disrespectful. However, IF this is a case where they would have NEVER made this call in a game situation and actually sent McDavid off the ice for something so silly, BUT decided to make a stand knowing that the situation was in overtime and even though it wouldn?t actually affect the game, but would send a message saying that this shouldn?t be tolerated? Well then that further supports the argument that consistency is an issue with the officiating. Oh, you will make the call when it doesn?t matter, but you won?t when it does? What kind of message does that send?

Rylant
    So very lame for a ref to call a 10 min misconduct that does nothing to impact that game or any other future game - you seriously calling a penalty in OT shootout? Multi Cat fantasy owners rejoice, and their H2H opponents cry bloody murder!

Feels like every goal is reviewable these days either as offside or goalie interference- really hard to figure out after replays which way ref will decide.

I knew they were going to call that goal back, cause I have Talbot.
    KFHL - 14 Team H2H keeper,NHLsalcap, protect 17/20, (4D, 3X(C,RW,LW), 2G, filler to 20, plus 2IR) ten waivers picks per season.
    Cats Skaters: G/A/Pts/BLK/HITS/SOG/PIM/GWG/SHP/PPP; Goalies W/SO/GAA/SvPct/SOG
    C: Crosby, Kadri, RNH, Roslovic
    LW: Hall, Lindblom, Kubalic, Bratt, Lemieux, Gurianov
    RW: Palmieri, Niederreiter dropping soon, Wheeler
    D: Chabot, Josi, Gustafsson, Krug, McNabb
    G: Rask, Bishop, Binnington

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Why are we even discussing this? It's such a useless topic.

He was likely getting razzed all game by the sounds of it and threw down a meaningless penalty at a meaningless time to show he was tired of it.

He's not going to do it during the game. There is no fallout from the penalty. It doesn't matter.
    I think the most relevant reason to be talking about this is because it speaks to the frustration McDavid (and Matthews) has with the goal review rules. He has spoken out in the media about this already, so obviously it is something that really bothers him. If the star players in the league are starting to get frustrated by the rules and are going to start speaking out to the media, and show up the referees, then it could potentially cause some turmoil for the league. As I said in my first post, I think this is a bigger issue than simply McDavid and Matthews showing up the referee.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Good for him, I would have given it to the refs too - they were awful and deserved it.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hilarious. The kid was showing a sarcastic side, which I like. Pretty sure it was meant as an insult to the ref. Immature, yeah...a big deal, not really. Worth an abuse of officials call? No way.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I hate the stereotypical expectation for NHL hockey players to be polite, not make waves, tow the line, and basically be cliche-reciting robots. The kid showed some fire and personality in the heat of the moment in the midst of what must be an incredibly frustrating and pressure-filled season for him...I'd expect nothing less from a guy with his talent and drive. Sid is no different. All the people getting their PC panties in a bunch over this need to lighten the hell up and find something else to be ooutraged by, smh.