Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Acquiring Matthews

The Great One

Default Re: Acquiring Matthews

Like Conner? Im a Jets fan (2nd after the leafs)- and I remember that draft like yesterday. He fell because all he was, was potential- lol! Hes developing nicely but Im not sure he was any more concrete than Buchnevich at draft time- not that theyre all that far apart...

Are you Blue Jackets in my league BP? If so I apologize I hadn't realized. I mean I stand by everything I said still- lol- but Im not going to demand you accept the trade- haha! This is to clarify about the post I made on here and to explain my thought process- not to convince you you somehow made the wrong choice. That being said- lol...

I think my offer basis of Ziba/Buch/Tippett was galaxies ahead of what got accepted. I think time will bear that out- and I actually don't see it as being all that close tbh. Zibas track record was slowly ascending to a spot where one of the top teams in the NHL decided he had developed into a guy carrying the load as their topline center. Then he basically did that... twice!! Lol- yes an injury de-railed him last year but that happens. Hes recovering much much faster this year and getting back on track. Its not like hes been floundering for six years. His track record has been immensely successful. I would hope his track record was considered in any potential offer- hes likely regarded higher now than when he was drafted.

Its not for me to say and it would just be sour grapes regardless- lmao! But I think Werenski/Conner/Bjorkstrand will end up as a sub par package. Werenski is the best piece but hes a dman- and with the stats in my league they take a back seat to the forwards especially considering dollar/point ratios. Even he has to contend with Seth Jones and a sputtering powerplay. If you don't like Ziba- I cant really say much. 65-70 point seasons seem pretty much inevitable to most people who have done any digging on him- and at that price for that term... Kyle Conner (again a guy I like) is the same age as Buchnevich and done (doing) less. Its basically a coin toss with Buchnevich having the edge today I would say (and hes been on fire over his last 10 or so games even without the inevitable promotion to pp1 people are screaming for). Bjorkstarnd is as far away as Tippett is from meaningful production and Id say much less upside in my books. Hesikanen is a very nice piece but Id be wary about a prospect Dman tipping the scales in any deal.

Ill say this much. I wouldn't even consider moving the guys he got (you got? Are you CLB??)- for Ziba/Buch/Tippett.

But meh- sour grapes on my part I guess. Im more stating my opinion in terms of the forum reading and my thought process than if you are the Columbus owner. If you are the Columbus owner I would never presume to tell you what trades to make for your team...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    McD got 12.5m after putting up 100pts and winning the Hart at 20. AM is not going to break 80pts this year, nor is he in the MVP running. I don't see how the argument can be made as of yet he can get McD money. 40 goal rookie season - be damned. I'm not even sure we can predict his salary off of Eichel's this summer. I mean, Eichel - right or wrong has a slight label attached as a spoiled brat. -- see controversial comments surrounding now fired head coach..

If his #1 goal is to win.. I can actually see a shorter 8mil/season 4-5 years.
    Arizona will back the truck up with a $12m/7 year offer sheet. Toronto will be forced to match and they'd be foolish not to. A Matthews doesn't come around every day (or every year). And this is so hard to say as a die hard Habs fan but Matthews is worth every penny he'll get.
    PTKL - '18 and '19 Back to Back League Champion!
    12 team league, 20 players per team
    Count top 9 F, 4 D, 1 G
    Points only for F and D
    G Stats: W = 1, SO = 1, Saves (0.04 per save), Goals Against (-0.2 per goal), G and A also count

F: Barkov, Bergeron, Dadonov, Getzlaf, Hertl, Marchand, Olofsson, Pacioretty, Pavelski, Radulov, Stone, Wheeler, Zuccarello
    D: Krug, Letang, Petry, Rielly, Weber
    G: Fleury, Price

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by beatnik_uwo View Post
    Arizona will back the truck up with a $12m/7 year offer sheet. Toronto will be forced to match and they'd be foolish not to. A Matthews doesn't come around every day (or every year). And this is so hard to say as a die hard Habs fan but Matthews is worth every penny he'll get.
    leafs will resign before an offer sheet becomes an option. He wants to win.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Expert

Will it even go that far? Or do Leafs sign him this summer to an extension

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would take the Werenski/Connor/Bjorkstrand side if I had to choose.

Werenski is the best out of them all, and I like Connor as #2. Buchnevich would be a close 3rd behind Connor, and similarly I put Bjork a little ahead of Tippett, mainly based on the fact that he's already producing in the NHL.

To me, Zibanejad looks pretty entrenched as a 55-60 point guy, and I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise. He's never been on a pace for better than 57 points, and even that 57 point pace was with an elevated S% and on ice S%. I think you'd be lucky to get anything more than 60 from him.

Tippett and Bjork are the wild cards here. Both are projected between 55 and 75 points. Bjorkstrand is a bit more buried in Columbus but further along in his development. On the other hand, Tippett hasn't done much of anything yet.