Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Professional Football League?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: New Professional Football League?

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    The claims in the reports I read said he learned from his mistakes with the XFL and it was going to be more about football then a spectacle like the XFL. haha

Did anyone every watch XFL? I never, but I picture it as Slap Shot 2... where the games are full scripted and there are fights and wrestling moves pulled out instead of a regular tackle. haha
    That would've been more entertaining. I was a teenage boy who was pretty into wrestling and football when the XFL came around. I watched a few games but the only things that stick with me now are "HEHATEME" and that guy breaking his collar-bone on the first game's opening 'rush for possession.' I don't remember any football parts of it really, just the gimmicks.

Dobber Sports Jedi

no Manziel... heh

Darren Rovell
    @darrenrovell
    BREAKING: @VinceMcMahon’s new league will be called the XFL. Will start in Jan. 2020, have eight teams, players required to stand for National Anthem & Johnny Manziel is NOT eligible to play http://es.pn/2DDHYjH
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Strike 1 - Naming it the XFL. Should have come up with a different league name than the one that failed miserably and lost you millions of dollars.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm actually really intrigued by this league and think it could do well if executed properly. My advice to Vince McMahon:

1. Learn from the former XFL, this is not a gimmick, this is a professional football league.
    2. Do not compete against the NFL. Again, Do not compete against the NFL. I heard parts of the press conference and they are targeting a February/March season with 8 teams, 10 regular season games final-4 playoffs. the USA loves Football well above any other sport and there is a real void in February-August when NCAA starts. You don't need to pull NFL level numbers to be successful.
    3. Learn from the NFL and avoid its controversies. Honestly from the press conference it sounds like the league will do everything in its power to avoid any controversy. (as an aside I agree with PeguinHunter XFL is a terrible name, this is going to be the opposite of xtreme). Standing for the National anthem will be a non-issue, any player who gets in trouble with the law will be turfed immediately. Those 2 issues have been a lot of bad press for the NFL, the players in the XFL will have no power and thus can be dictated to.
    4. Sounds like the league will be faster game span (goal of under 2 hours) this should appeal to the younger generation.
    5. Focus on cities that have been dumped by the NFL. San Diego and St. Louis make sense, plus have warm weather and dooms for games.
    6. Simplify the rules. What the hell is a catch???

Anyways, it seems very strange to me that the NFL has zero competition in America when Football is by far the biggest sport. The NCAA does insane numbers but I believe if costs are kept in check and the pockets are willing to take some losses early that this league could succeed as a viable option that makes profits long-term.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Immortal

The biggest thing I want to see come back is that amazing red and black football.

Dobber Sports Jedi

The CFL had been discussing moving to late winter/spring as well... wonder if this impacts that or do they care and go for it anyway?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

1. Spring football can work fine, see the USFL's first 2 years. Problem is when you have an egotistical douchebag that forces the league to do dumb stuff - uh, oh.

Yes, the NFL violated laws to hurt the USFL. I am convinced they bought the jury, because damages of $1 make no sense. If they stayed a spring league, I'm pretty convinced they'd have been quite successful, and possibly been a merger candidate later on, instead of the rounds of expansion.

2. The NFL has a minor league feeder system, it's just called "college". Best pro fall league option in awhile was the United Football League, which had big name coaches and played in non-NFL markets.

Arena Football used to be a better feeder system, and it's still somewhat popular in places, but it's way down from its peak.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Technically the NFL's minor league is their practice squad.

If Vince does this right, it'll be a success. The definition of success is different to everyone, but I think if it's done right, it'll work. There's a ton of stuff the XFL did that the NFL stole, so it's not like the previous stint was a huge flop. It start the cameras on the field, in the air behind the QB, pretty sure they started the graphic lines on the field (1st down, field goal range). Back when it first happened there was only a TV deal and NBC ran the thing into the ground really. If you didn't get on TV you failed. They better target a FB deal or youtube for their live games.

He's targeting 2020, guess what's up in 2021, NFL CBA. NFL goes on strike, he'll have a ton of NFL players come to his league for a yr when his league kinda has lost it's honeymoon stage. CBA expires after the 2020 season (this yr is considered 2017 season, so 2021 XFL season would be when the NFL CBA expires)
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

He's targeting 2020, guess what's up in 2021, NFL CBA. NFL goes on strike, he'll have a ton of NFL players come to his league for a yr when his league kinda has lost it's honeymoon stage. CBA expires after the 2020 season (this yr is considered 2017 season, so 2021 XFL season would be when the NFL CBA expires)
    Interesting I did not realize that....but i cant see the NFL ever going on strike again.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Interesting I did not realize that....but i cant see the NFL ever going on strike again.
    Yeah, but it might sway some Practice squad guys to jump to the XFL for a season if there is any question of a strike.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

I hope it succeeds. Roger Goodell makes way too much for the mickey mouse way he runs things..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Vince McMahon set to bring back the XFL

Click the link for the full story

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/t...eturn-in-2020/
    As if 2017 was not crazy enough, 2018 has fired its opening salvo as the return of the XFL, a controversial football league originally founded by Vince McMahon in 1999, was officially announced on Thursday.

CBS Sports first reported the nature of the announcement earlier in the day and that the league is not planning to start up again until 2020. McMahon, who rushed the original XFL into existence without so much as a full slate of offseason practices to prepare for the league's inaugural year, said he learned his lesson from one of the XFL's biggest initial mistakes.

"The new XFL is an exciting opportunity to reimagine America's favorite sport," said McMahon in a statement. "As we move towards kickoff, we look forward to listening and implementing innovative ideas from players, coaches, medical experts, technology executives, the media and most importantly football fans."

There had been unsubstantiated talk about the XFL making a return late in 2017, but Brad Shepard first reported in mid-December that McMahon, WWE's chairman, was planning to make such an announcement on Jan. 25.

WWE clarified at that time of the initial reports that it was not going back into the football business but McMahon will rather be doing so on his own. McMahon, who will continue in his role as chairman and CEO of WWE, has created Alpha Entertainment separate from WWE and recently sold 3.34 million shares of WWE stock (about $100 million worth) in order to help fund the company. Alpha Entertainment also acquired five XFL trademarks that WWE abandoned between 2002 and 2005.

McMahon confirmed Thursday that he would solely fund the venture with the aforementioned $100 million. Furthermore, the new XFL will not have any attachment to WWE financially or otherwise, unlike the previous incarnation of the league which featured WWE superstars promoting the product and even WWE announcers calling the action.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Default Re: Vince McMahon set to bring back the XFL

I am guessing you probably tried searching XFL and didn't see anything... originally when it was posted the speculation was that he was not going to call it the XFL this time...

New Professional Football League?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Vince McMahon set to bring back the XFL

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I am guessing you probably tried searching XFL and didn't see anything... originally when it was posted the speculation was that he was not going to call it the XFL this time...

New Professional Football League?
    I didnt search anything. I just didnt know this was out there.

Thanks for the link. I merged my post into the old one.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."