Thread: What's your Scoring System

Dobber Sports Novice

Default What's your Scoring System

Hey guy, our league is ESPN yearly draft, no keepers or dynasty Head to Head. Some of the managers have complained about the scoring system...especially when it comes to goalies.
    They feel the goalies should be earning more points in relation to the draft round that they were taken in compared to a skater in same round.
    As of now Vasi has 70pts and next best are Rinne (41), Helly (38), Holtby (31).

Just wondering what some scoring systems are out there that can make things more interesting for next year? I personally don't mind (as most managers) our sys. for skaters, but open to make goalies more competitive.

Our system:

Skaters:

Goals 3
    Assists 2
    SHG 2 (scorer only)
    PP 1
    DEF1

Goalies:

Win 5
    SO 3
    GA -1

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: What's your Scoring System

at first glance I'd suggest working saves x ?? as a goalie stat as it gives goalies that win less some value .

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    at first glance I'd suggest working saves x ?? as a goalie stat as it gives goalies that win less some value .
    Butch, what value would you give saves? I'd imagine it would be in low tenths of a point?

Dobber Sports Jedi

in mine... I use G, A - 2.5 PPP 2 GWG 3, SHG 3 H/BLK/PIM/SOG/+/- - .25 Goalies 3.5W SV .15 SO 5 PIM 1, GA -.25 L -.75

when figuring out a save value you really need to tinker with it. When I set up my pool I had to check the scoring results 20-30 times as goalies were either excluded from the top 40 in fantasy scoring or they dominated. It was quite a balancing act. Obviously in your league, without counting peripherals, giving saves a value of .15 would create too much value on G's maybe a .1 - 40 save performance = 4 fantasy points.... if they give up 4 goals - it wipes out the entire save performance, but they aren't a negative from the game. Not sure if that's something that would be of interest to your pool... just rambling now I guess.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan Of Sundin View Post
    Butch, what value would you give saves? I'd imagine it would be in low tenths of a point?
    yes , definately something in the tenths of a point range . I can mess around with my test fantrax league to give some numbers but first can you tell me what these represent . I'll assume pp = powerplay points but I'm not sure what DEF is

pp=1

DEF = 1

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    yes , definately something in the tenths of a point range . I can mess around with my test fantrax league to give some numbers but first can you tell me what these represent . I'll assume pp = powerplay points but I'm not sure what DEF is

pp=1

DEF = 1
    Exactly that, an extra point for PP. DEF is an extra one time point if a D-Man makes the score sheet.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    in mine... I use G, A - 2.5 PPP 2 GWG 3, SHG 3 H/BLK/PIM/SOG/+/- - .25 Goalies 3.5W SV .15 SO 5 PIM 1, GA -.25 L -.75

when figuring out a save value you really need to tinker with it. When I set up my pool I had to check the scoring results 20-30 times as goalies were either excluded from the top 40 in fantasy scoring or they dominated. It was quite a balancing act. Obviously in your league, without counting peripherals, giving saves a value of .15 would create too much value on G's maybe a .1 - 40 save performance = 4 fantasy points.... if they give up 4 goals - it wipes out the entire save performance, but they aren't a negative from the game. Not sure if that's something that would be of interest to your pool... just rambling now I guess.
    Good stuff, lucafen....I was running go some numbers and 0.15 seemed a little high, but 0.10 might be the just the right value. I'm gonna poll the managers for opinions on this.

So for your skaters, what is your G & A points exactly...3 & 2? And your PPP, is that a full 2.5pts on top?

Dobber Sports Jedi

G & A are 2.5 each so that goal scorers vs. playmakers are equal value

GWG are a bonus 3pts
    PPP are a bonus 2pts
    SHP are a bonus 3pts

So in essence a player that scores a SHG and it counts as the GWG in my set up would get 8.75pts 2.5+3+3+.25 (sog)

in the same breathe, if a goalie gets a 40 save shut out it's 3.5+5+4 = 12.5 fpts. Goalies normally have a higher pt/gm score, but because they play 15-20 games less on average the overall totals balance out pretty good.

I also give 1pt per pim & 3pts for G-assists; 10 for a G-goal (which hasn't happened in 3yrs).

The top players in the league from 1-7 are: Kucherov 5.86/gm 263.5, Kessel 5.47 262.75, Vasil 6.91 262.45, Ovie 5.49 258, Mack 5.77 253.75, Wheeler 5.47 251.75, Andersen 246.25

Obviouly because my league uses peripherals the #'s fluctuate a bit.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    G & A are 2.5 each so that goal scorers vs. playmakers are equal value

GWG are a bonus 3pts
    PPP are a bonus 2pts
    SHP are a bonus 3pts

So in essence a player that scores a SHG and it counts as the GWG in my set up would get 8.75pts 2.5+3+3+.25 (sog)

in the same breathe, if a goalie gets a 40 save shut out it's 3.5+5+4 = 12.5 fpts. Goalies normally have a higher pt/gm score, but because they play 15-20 games less on average the overall totals balance out pretty good.

I also give 1pt per pim & 3pts for G-assists; 10 for a G-goal (which hasn't happened in 3yrs).

The top players in the league from 1-7 are: Kucherov 5.86/gm 263.5, Kessel 5.47 262.75, Vasil 6.91 262.45, Ovie 5.49 258, Mack 5.77 253.75, Wheeler 5.47 251.75, Andersen 246.25

Obviouly because my league uses peripherals the #'s fluctuate a bit.
    Thanks...gonna tweak the scoring system for next year for sure, especially for the goalies almost how you and butch have it.

Not really big on giving out pts for H/PIM/BLK, either are the guys in league.

Thanks for the input.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan Of Sundin View Post
    Thanks...gonna tweak the scoring system for next year for sure, especially for the goalies almost how you and butch have it.

Not really big on giving out pts for H/PIM/BLK, either are the guys in league.

Thanks for the input.
    each league needs to fit it's owners... you'll find your balance.

Dobber Sports Ace

I definitely agree with Lucafen that saves is one of the easiest ways to pump goalies' values. Especially as an offset to goals against as a negative, it helps add value to that middle tier of goalies, and make the top tier of goalies really elite players.

Another thing we added in my favourite league was goalie points. Doesn't happen super often, but it really does add some value to goalies who have the better stick-handling skills, as well as the guys who tend to take more risks. For how infrequently goalies end up on the score sheet, it's definitely a fun way to add a little value to skilled goalies.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso