Thread: Value of E. Karlsson on the trade market

The Great One

Default Value of E. Karlsson on the trade market

A co-worker who doesn't follow hockey as much as I do asked me this morning if the Sens should re-sign Karlsson or trade him.

I'm not a Sens fan and haven't followed the negotiations that closely, but I suspect Karlsson is going to want as much money as possible, considering he has arguably been under-paid for a while and this will be his final contract in the NHL.

I can't see the Sens (Melnyk) willingly paying him what he wants.

Three questions:

How much will Karlsson sign for?

Will the Sens sign or trade him?

If they trade him, what would be a fair return (name some specific players/prospects/picks)?
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Value of E. Karlsson on the trade market

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    A co-worker who doesn't follow hockey as much as I do asked me this morning if the Sens should re-sign Karlsson or trade him.

I'm not a Sens fan and haven't followed the negotiations that closely, but I suspect Karlsson is going to want as much money as possible, considering he has arguably been under-paid for a while and this will be his final contract in the NHL.

I can't see the Sens (Melnyk) willingly paying him what he wants.

Three questions:

How much will Karlsson sign for?

Will the Sens sign or trade him?

If they trade him, what would be a fair return (name some specific players/prospects/picks)?
    He's not helping his case right now for a massive pay day. I can still see 9.25-10m.
    If they can move Phaneuf or B. Ryan without retaining salary, then yes, I think they resign him.

if he were to be traded, guarantee a 1st is coming back. A top D prospect and at least one really solid young player. I would expect players like De Brincat, Heiskanen, Yamamoto etc. to be demanded with at least a 1st. I look at what Col got for Duchene. I then ask for a lot more. Instead of Frost, I ask for Frost and Chabot +++.. If I were the team on the otherside, I'm trying to resign, perhaps add a clause that I'll send assets A,B,C for him as a rental, D,E,F if he's resigned.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

There was a lot of discussion on Karlsson and his pending contract/trade situation here:

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...lsson+contract

For me, I think they want to keep him but don't want to pay him what he's truly worth to the team. Let's face it, he's the face of the franchise and still has years of quality production. Melnyk has benefitted from Karlsson playing on a bargain contract for years now but it will be interesting if he's willing to pay up when the time comes.

I think he's going to get a contract in the $10-12M range at the very least. The salary cap situation at the time of his contract negotiations will be a big determining factor as well.

One thing I do know, if Melnyk won't pay him, someone will. It will be a sad day in Ottawa when that happens.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Good to remember that Karlsson still has one more year on his contract, so he isn't a free agent until the summer of 2019. Duchene and Brassard will be free agents at the same time with Karlsson, so if they want to keep him and pay him what he's worth, then it's doable but they need to choose who they want to keep. Phaneuf will have "only" two more years on his contract by that time, so maybe they'd be willing to eat part of that to get rid of him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As a Leafs fan, if the reason the Sens can't keep Karlsson is due in part at least to Phaneuf's contract, I think I'll die from happiness.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    As a Leafs fan, if the reason the Sens can't keep Karlsson is due in part at least to Phaneuf's contract, I think I'll die from happiness.
    They'll just buy him out. At least Ottawa wasn't idiotic enough to make him their team captain.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Taco97 View Post
    They'll just buy him out. At least Ottawa wasn't idiotic enough to make him their team captain.
    They wouldn’t buy him out

Phaneuf has nothing to do with karlssons new contract

the team will pay him what he is worth if they actually want to keep him . Right now it’s a huge risk because he has been terrible this year and if he remains the same player for the rest of his career, then the contract would be Price like , crippling your team. They need to wait and see how he plays next year before any contract talk.

Personally i I would trade him if the package is huge as I wouldn’t want to risk that

The Great One

All this talk about Karlsson being underpaid...he signed a contract at market value. And that's what he's looking to do again...

My guess is he is eventually traded for an underwhelming return; it'll just take the brass in Ottawa awhile to figure out that he's not interested in re-signing here. Total speculation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    All this talk about Karlsson being underpaid...he signed a contract at market value. And that's what he's looking to do again...

My guess is he is eventually traded for an underwhelming return; it'll just take the brass in Ottawa awhile to figure out that he's not interested in re-signing here. Total speculation on my part.
    Yea it’s incorrect speculation. He does want to re sign here and so does his new wife as she and her family is deeply invested in the city

the market value question will be interesting because if he has two years like this to end his current contract (if he’s the same again next year) then you’re paying more for what he did two years ago. So what would the market value be? I thought the sens would always sign him for 8 years 11 million, even before this bad year. I’d be happy with that price and if I’m karlsson I sign that to mitigate the risk of another bad year with the new ankle.

Dobber Sports Titan

I'd be looking at a team that's older, and on their last chance at a deep run and get a bunch of future picks. HOWEVER, no GM would trade Karlsson for future picks because the chances you get to use those picks are so slight.

Also, if you were able to in a perfect world, trade your smaller pieces first (Brassard, Pague and such), then Karlsson. If you trade Karlsson first and can't do a full tear down, there's no point in trading Karlsson.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I'd be looking at a team that's older, and on their last chance at a deep run and get a bunch of future picks. HOWEVER, no GM would trade Karlsson for future picks because the chances you get to use those picks are so slight.

Also, if you were able to in a perfect world, trade your smaller pieces first (Brassard, Pague and such), then Karlsson. If you trade Karlsson first and can't do a full tear down, there's no point in trading Karlsson.
    the good thing with the Sens is worst case they have Chabot who IMO will contend for Norris trophies in his prime

Dobber Sports Pro

I have to think he'll be the most highly-sought after player in a long time. I could see him being moved for a top six F or top 4 dman + high end prospect + high pick, but only to a team that knows they'll sign him longterm. The question is, is he worth it?

I love Karlsson as much as the next guy, and I know we are witnessing a murky time in Ottawa, but is anyone concerned with him going forward? He looks horrible this year (by his standards). He isn't skating nearly as well as I'm used to seeing. Could his injuries be catching up to him? When looking at everything he's body has gone through I wouldn't be shocked if he's lost a few milliseconds and that means a lot for a player like him IMO