Thread: Aho Concussion/Knee? Giordano Suspension?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Aho Concussion/Knee? Giordano Suspension?

Aho left the Canes/Flames game in the third period today with what looked like a concussion and potentially a knee injury. Tried to toe drag around Giordano and got caught. Giordano received a 5 minute match for illegal check to the head and a game misconduct.

First on Aho, dunno how quickly we will get injury information. Carolina starts their 5 day bye week so we might not hear anything until next Friday/Saturday.

Giordano could be looking at potential supplemental discipline. I don?t feel what he did meets the usual requirements for principle point of contact (looked like chest), or targeting the head which are normally the requirements for additional suspension. To me, looked like he was going for a squared up hit, and basically missed because of the move Aho tried to pull. Others may see it differently. However the only consistency you can count on from NHL Player Safety is inconsistency, so I will be surprised by neither a suspension nor no further punishment.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Who Concussion/Knee? Giordano Suspension?

I did not really see much to suspend Gio for. I suppose you could say Giordano's feet left the ice a little in order to absorb the impact. That said, Aho basically just steamed into him with his head down. Usually by this point in a players career they would have learned that this is not a safe way to play the game. Ultimately however, like Rataylor says, nothing would surprise me from the NHL Player Safety Commission.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Master

saw the replay in slow motion and aho's knee took some damage .

you never know with these things , he could be out for season or skating again by the weekend

Dobber Sports Wizard

I love the "Who" on the title.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Aho Concussion/Knee? Giordano Suspension?

I don't think it was a bad hit (and I own Aho in 2 dynasty leagues) - Gio planted himself and Aho just ran right into him.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Ace

Without a history of suspensions I can't see this getting him suspended. Unless the goal is to take hitting out of hockey, this is the kind of incidental contact that is just going to exist in the game.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    Without a history of suspensions I can't see this getting him suspended. Unless the goal is to take hitting out of hockey, this is the kind of incidental contact that is just going to exist in the game.
    Yeah, you're cutting straight across laterally deep in the slot - keep your head up, kid.

I don't think it was 'incidental' per se, Aho chose a lane that ran him straight into a wall. The knee contact, although it looked bad and was, was totally unintentional. There was a slight movement on Gio's part but it looked to me like he was just bracing for the hit.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Yeah, you're cutting straight across laterally deep in the slot - keep your head up, kid.

I don't think it was 'incidental' per se, Aho chose a lane that ran him straight into a wall. The knee contact, although it looked bad and was, was totally unintentional. There was a slight movement on Gio's part but it looked to me like he was just bracing for the hit.
    I more meant the point of contact was incidental. Clearly it was a hit that was going to happen with a forward trying to skate through a dman with his head down. I totally agree with you, I don't think there was any attempt by Gio to do anything other than to play the man. Wasn't even necessarily something Gio set up either like Scotty Stevens used to on plays like that, he just made the hit that Aho walked into.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Deity

https://twitter.com/WesGilbertson/st...94870095962113

#Flames captain Mark Giordano will face no further discipline for Sunday's collision with Sebastian Aho of the Hurricanes. Assessed a match penalty on ice.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."